600yards and in, how important are bubble levels?

As stated earlier at 200 300 whatever it may not matter but at extended ranges it definitely does so where do u draw the line. Also if an extended range shot presents itself and I'm hyped up my shot process is going to go off of muscle memory and I definitely want my bubble level to be a part of the process

Yeah I watched the video, I also heard that Anna Nichole married for love, Colin Kaepernick signed with Green Bay and the election was fair and square, its an opinion, that's all it is, As I said in post 5 if you like it by all means use one, Now this is my opinion, if you cant get behind your rig and know that your not level regardless of the terrain that your in you probably shouldn't be hunting long distance, Once again I mean no offense and I know I'm old but in my military career I was lucky enough to go to some of the finest shooting schools and we shot a long ways for a long time with straight 10X scopes and no levels, I know times have changed and I'm all for it but the list of "Must Have's" if you wanna be accurate these days is comical to me, I don't know how anyone ever shot anything before Kestrels, Bubble Levels and Bore Scopes,Once again I apologize to the OP for all of this mess over a simple question, seems the norm anymore
I'm betting you live, shoot, and hunt somewhere with lots of flat ground?

It has become a part of my shooting routine even at 100 yards when sighting the rifle in. I do a lot of bow hunting also and it's the same thing get on target check the level squeeze off the shot. Literally can be checked in the blink of an eye. To each their own but it is just one less variable and another way to be as accurate as possible for me.
Interesting you bring archery into this. I had a friend in my youth that was the best NATURAL bow shooter I ever met. He hunted with a long bow, no fancy rest, just the top of his hand, no sights and shot with the bow tilted, it was seldom tilted the same. I think he got the bow from boy scouts, it was laminated wood. Nonetheless he regularly broke the knocks off of arrows, tore feathers off, and at any range. On calm days I saw him regularly hit a 4" circle at 50yds. His favorite arrows were Microflites, a brand no longer made. He always had venison in the freezer too. His only challenge and he freely admitted it, was shooting nearly straight down from a tree stand. He was a lineman for a power company and fell, using spikes and a belt. He could never shoot a bow the same again after that. He welcomed the legalization of cross-bows when it happened.

I'm betting you live, shoot, and hunt somewhere with lots of flat ground?
Yep Western Indiana but I have hunted all over this great country, I'm not arguing with you Sir, I agree they can be useful, I have used them and as of right now I still don't need one, that may change as I'm getting older and slipping a bit and you are correct, they are cheap insurance just not a necessity IMO , I hope you have a Merry Christmas

OK, I have a question about bubble levels on scopes when hunting. I have bought two levels and after mounting one, I looked at it sticking out from the scope and wondered how likely it was to get knocked out of alignment when being transported or carried while hunting.
I understand the value of one for benchrest shooting since the rifle is handled with "kid gloves" both in transporting and shooting.
But when hunting the handling can get a lot rougher. In fact on this site there are numerous comments about scopes being knocked around. Now I would be hanging a little 'lever' that if bumped will either break or will torque the scope.
Because of that worry, I took it off and now have two bubble levels taking up space in my gun room (aka wife's art room LOL).
Comments?

OK, I have a question about bubble levels on scopes when hunting. I have bought two levels and after mounting one, I looked at it sticking out from the scope and wondered how likely it was to get knocked out of alignment when being transported or carried while hunting.
I understand the value of one for benchrest shooting since the rifle is handled with "kid gloves" both in transporting and shooting.
But when hunting the handling can get a lot rougher. In fact on this site there are numerous comments about scopes being knocked around. Now I would be hanging a little 'lever' that if bumped will either break or will torque the scope.
Because of that worry, I took it off and now have two bubble levels taking up space in my gun room (aka wife's art room LOL).
Comments?
That's one of the things that crossed my mid as well

Comments?
There are levels that fold in flush whether it be mounted to a picatinny rail, integrated into top half of scope ring, etc.

Here are a few from flatline ops

Attachments

• 3817D286-5654-45CB-BA03-945948EA6D1E.jpeg
    3817D286-5654-45CB-BA03-945948EA6D1E.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 82
  • 8CCA0E45-510F-443E-86D8-55154D17E97A.jpeg
    8CCA0E45-510F-443E-86D8-55154D17E97A.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 87
  • E4E62573-3CB1-404B-9848-3F3708B94C69.jpeg
    E4E62573-3CB1-404B-9848-3F3708B94C69.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 89
Yep Western Indiana but I have hunted all over this great country, I'm not arguing with you Sir, I agree they can be useful, I have used them and as of right now I still don't need one, that may change as I'm getting older and slipping a bit and you are correct, they are cheap insurance just not a necessity IMO , I hope you have a Merry Christmas
Yes, we get it that butterbean doesn't need a level, but the OP asked if he needed one, and my answer would be if you have to ask, then you definitely need one!

Merry Christmas to you also!

I mean anything is possible I guess but I have been running them on 5 different rifles 2 of which have been on horseback and hiked with through the Rockies in gunnison and Antonio and have never had an issue. I don't fold them out until ready to take a shot and they also function without folding I'm not arguing for or against bc that is a decision that each person has to make for themselves. Just giving some options and my personal reasons as to why they are in all of my rifles that are capable of taking game past 300 yards.

Yes, we get it that butterbean doesn't need a level, but the OP asked if he needed one, and my answer would be if you have to ask, then you definitely need one!

Merry Christmas to you also!
How important is a bubble level for 600 yard shots? At what range do they really become necessary? Thanks!

This is the question he asked, Have a good day

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts