Bubble level

The level inside your head works better than any you can attach to a rifle.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

As an old Army aviator and having taken too many shots on, from and across unlevel terrain, I have to disagree. There can be many reasons why the inner ear, eye and brain can misinterpret "level", and it has led to many a pilot "flying by feel" and not "trusting" his instruments and to his death. Or in shooting, missing an animal or X-ring, etc. Having spent much time teaching young and old shooters, I've seen many people "think" their rifle sights were level when they were actually canted, and it was only after adding a sight or scope level did they realize how much. YMMV

Last edited:
The scope levels only came out after I had started selling off my longer range gear. Now that I don't have the gear and can't afford to buy it, I'm just not willing to do so. I have no idea that it wouldn't help on long range shots. Especially for younger and / or less experienced shooters.

Having spent much time teaching young and old shooters, I've seen many people "think" their rifle sights were level when they were actually canted,
I did not say they don't have value for new uninitiated shooters.

There comes a point where their limitations become obvious. Rifles are not jets. The instinctive faculty is the most powerful force a shooter can draw from, and the more ABC 123 the shooter gets, the more unable to make those shots that he shouldn't have been able to make.

Though I've learned this is one of those subjects that people just won't be swayed on forums, so carry on. Someone has to keep the level providers in business. :)

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

We have the bubble level integrated into the chassis so you don't have to worry about adding one. But if that wasnt the case I would just use the Hawkins Rings that have them integrated on the top. Brian Litz posted this the other day and I thought it was pretty cool to see the numbers. Makes you question how many shots are truly missed from "switchy winds"

Attachments

• 289236558_146749467942026_9136394195315480022_n.jpg
    289236558_146749467942026_9136394195315480022_n.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 68
Orkin quote: "I did not say they don't have value for new uninitiated shooters.

There comes a point where their limitations become obvious. Rifles are not jets. The instinctive faculty is the most powerful force a shooter can draw from, and the more ABC 123 the shooter gets, the more unable to make those shots that he shouldn't have been able to make.

Though I've learned this is one of those subjects that people just won't be swayed on forums, so carry on. Someone has to keep the level providers in business". :)

If your "instinctive faculty" is the most powerful force a shooter can draw from then why would you need a scope? You should be able to eliminate it and use your super hero instinctivenessnesses?
How about no sights then with that logic?
You use some tools to engage targets but not others.

#ignore,like,share,subscribe

Last edited:
As an old Army aviator and having taken too many shots on, from and across unlevel terrain, I have to disagree. There can be many reasons why the inner ear, eye and brain can misinterpret "level", and it has led to many a pilot "flying by feel" and not "trusting" his instruments and to his death. Or in shooting, missing an animal or X-ring, etc. Having spent much time teaching young and old shooters, I've seen many people "think" their rifle sights were level when they were actually canted, and it was only after adding a sight or scope level did they realize how much. YMMV

Another old Aviator confirming this.

Some people have perfect pitch. Most of us don't. Greg (Orkan) may have 'perfect level.' If so he's one of only a few.

A variety of leveling tools is available. Pick one or more & use them. Before tightening the ring caps, shine a flashlight through the objective. It'll project an image of the reticle out of the eyepiece. Align the image with a known vertical reference such as a plumb bob and carefully tighten the ring caps. Recheck that the reticle image is still aligned with your reference. Done.

All my rifles wear bubble levels, clamped loosely around the scope tube forward of the turrets, before installing the scope. They are tightened after the reticle is trued to vertical as above.