Bubble level

Greg (Orkan) may have 'perfect level.' If so he's one of only a few.
It can be trained. Mostly. :)

Most high level skills in any discipline don't start out being natural. A few key phrases, a few key indexing guides, and a few thousand rounds, and things start taking shape. Take that far enough and you'll run into things that can't be trained, in the traditional sense. They can be described, and instructed on, but they require personal discovery in order to implement consistently.

Some parts of all of this will remain off limits to people unless they've gone to the altar in their minds enough times and offered the proper sacrifice. That kind of dedication to a discipline is dying from the world.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Do any of you use anti cant bubble levels on your hunting rigs? Debating if I want one or not. Rifle will be sighted in out to 750 yards
Are you sighting in at 750 or shooting out to 750? I have a bubble level on my 7STW, not on my 260 Rem, 300 H&H or 338-06. For me it depends on how far I plan to shoot and I try to limit my shots to under 400 yds with most of my guns. The 7mm is for longer shooting. All of them are hunting rifles, not shot at steel.

It can be trained. Mostly. :)

Most high level skills in any discipline don't start out being natural. A few key phrases, a few key indexing guides, and a few thousand rounds, and things start taking shape. Take that far enough and you'll run into things that can't be trained, in the traditional sense. They can be described, and instructed on, but they require personal discovery in order to implement consistently.

Some parts of all of this will remain off limits to people unless they've gone to the altar in their minds enough times and offered the proper sacrifice. That kind of dedication to a discipline is dying from the world.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

There are several of us here who have far surpassed those requirements and still see improvements by using anti-cant devices for LR/ELR shots and small bore prone bullseye and 22 LR. Instinctive shooting is one thing at shorter ranges and has its place even at LR/ELR, but as the distance grows, so do the human errors. Especially in ELR. I spent decades in competition shooting, and while I made High Master, I found I was more consistent with a sight level than without. Similar to many other competitors. In BR, their are reasons we use flat anti-cant bottoms and rests, and the same principle is applied to other shooting disciplines.

Can one be a good shot without levels? Sure! I did it for many years at many ranges up to 1,000yd prone, Palma, Nat'l Match, etc, but once I began using levels, I saw improvements in consistency. Would an elk know the difference, maybe but maybe not. A Pdog or similar at LR sure would. Today's equipment gives us advantages well beyond the old school equipment many of us used in yesteryear, and while learning proper basic shooting skills is always a must, extending those skills into consistent LR/ELR (Defined as 800-1,200yds and then well beyond) or high precision short range bullseye may require one to take advantage of the modern tech. How many of us wish to return to 3-9x or10x scopes for the 1,000yd line? I did for a while, but why today? Same with all our other modern equipment for our discipline.

Each to his own, or YMMV

Do any of you use anti cant bubble levels on your hunting rigs? Debating if I want one or not. Rifle will be sighted in out to 750 yards
Yep on all of them and a cosine indicator on a few that I know will be hunting in canyons or in sloped areas.

On the range or on flat terrain where there is a horizon, or where pine trees grow, alignment to those features will be fine. For hilly or mountainous areas, or when shooting down into valleys, a bubble level can help for very long shots.

We have the bubble level integrated into the chassis so you don't have to worry about adding one. But if that wasnt the case I would just use the Hawkins Rings that have them integrated on the top. Brian Litz posted this the other day and I thought it was pretty cool to see the numbers. Makes you question how many shots are truly missed from "switchy winds"
The chart is accurate, can't argue with trigonometry. The only question is on the +/-3 degree number. It really depends a lot on the terrain and background whether eyes are aided or fooled regarding what's level.