6.5 creedmore

Ok seriously WTH is the extreme hype over the 6.5creed I understand it was designed as a long range target gun but really guys it's still a 243
Thats what I am kinda liking…. But each their own… Happy shooting!

Attachments

• F1C4AC96-0DF5-406B-A552-022D137BB86F.jpeg
    F1C4AC96-0DF5-406B-A552-022D137BB86F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
Just about everyone on this sight shoots a lot more than 90% of the hunting public. the secret to the Creedmoor sauce IMO is this. They took a very easy to shoot round and compared it at distance to about the "manliest" round most folks are familiar with, the 300WM. Most of the smaller rounds are always noted in the gun rags as "a great round for women, children, and smaller statured (girlie) men". Now anyone could shoot a round they could handle and shoot more accurately without getting laughed out of camp (the man-bun tag came after it was too late). Amazingly the creed was killing deer and elk (shot in both lungs) way better than the ought 6 or 7 mag (shot through a ham or paunch). Magic! As advertised!
I watched folks young and old while I worked sight in days at my range this pre-deer season, shoot rifles they just could not handle. When you shoot 6 rounds a year in practice total, the 350RM, 30-06, 7 mag, even the 270 in a poorly stocked rifle it's too much gun. These rounds have beat a lot of these guys into submission 2 rounds in. Hornady is marketing to these guys and they managed it. They didn't make the 6.5 better, they made it acceptable.

Last edited:
I'd say that was a question of bullet choice, shot placement and precision not cartridge. Just my opinion based on no less than 50 kills with a 6.5cm out to 500y and target engagement to 1200y
All this talk about killing animals, a 140gr bullet traveling 2850fps is a 140gr bullet traveling 2850fps… how does the animal know🤷🏻‍♂️

All this talk about killing animals, a 140gr bullet traveling 2850fps is a 140gr bullet traveling 2850fps… how does the animal know🤷🏻‍♂️
The problem is that 2850fps drops off really fast once it leaves the bore.

There then comes a point down range where the bullet will not have enough remaining energy on target to expand properly or penetrate deeply enough.

Few people however are ever going to connect with an animal that far downrange but it is a real consideration for the few who can.

The problem is that 2850fps drops off really fast once it leaves the bore.

There then comes a point down range where the bullet will not have enough remaining energy on target to expand properly or penetrate deeply enough.

Few people however are ever going to connect with an animal that far downrange but it is a real consideration for the few who can.
I would never advocate using a tool for anything other than its effective purpose. Im just saying use it within its perameters, Its just a 140gn bullet traveling 2850 fps…. Its on the shooter to use it appropriately.

Very well said.
And they made it (lots of match grade ammo , relatively speaking) very available. It's easy and cheap to shoot a lot, so people can shoot a lot, and shoot better ,with the low recoil and that's never a bad thing. Mild recoil , with a heavy enough bullet to do the job out quite a ways.
Bullets matter a lot more than headstamps but this cartridge connects more dots than many. And plain works.
Are those people bringing you game that isn't dead enough?
Still can't believe we are doing this again. I'm out.

And they made it (lots of match grade ammo , relatively speaking) very available. It's easy and cheap to shoot a lot, so people can shoot a lot, and shoot better ,with the low recoil and that's never a bad thing. Mild recoil , with a heavy enough bullet to do the job out quite a ways.
Bullets matter a lot more than headstamps but this cartridge connects more dots than many. And plain works.
Are those people bringing you game that isn't dead enough?
Still can't believe we are doing this again. I'm out.
You seem really confused. We've both been stating that the 6.5's are very capable rounds within their limits.

His point is that the CM's explosion onto the market made it acceptable and fashionable to shoot a 6.5 whereas prior to that you were seen as less of a man for shooting them instead of the bigger 7's and 30 caliber rounds so well popularized in the US since the end of WWII.

Simple answer, "The Internet".

"I saw it on the internet so it has to be true".
Well I guess it could be considered the internet because that is we're we all find things.
I think a lot had to do with guys like butterbean and his pure love and devotion to the 6.5 creed.
That man has single handedly been responsible for the shear amount of love for long range hunting with the 6.5 creedmore.