338 or 375 EnABELR or alternative cartridge for ELR hunting

I would pay to watch the good accuracy at 3000 yds.
Especially from a rinky dink tripod setup like that.
If your going to shoot 3000 it won't be from a tripod or even an atlas bipod. What is good accuracy at 3000? 30 inches? We are talking ELR not hunting and in the RUM platform we're talking having to go subsonic. Agreed it want be an enabler but it will get you pretty close if all your going to do is play. Taken mine to 2000 with zero issues on a 24" plate with a bipod. Hit 3 out of 5 with the misses coming on the first 2 as we walked it in. Honestly we don't have anywhere around here to shoot beyond 1200-1500 yards on a regular basis and we are at sea level. In Alaska if you were at altitude I don't think you would have a problem. I would add a 24" bipod extension and an accu-tac and go play which is all the OP wants to do. I run the 256 Flatliners in mine with the tubbs ring they are supersonic to 2600. They should stabilize enough to hit a 36" plate at 3000. The group in my original post is a 5 shot group using IMR 4350 and ABLRs. It measured .029. My rifle is a complete custom rifle with a 27" palma Bartlein barrel. It shoots sub half inch regularly. I have only had two five shot groups that shot more than a 1.25 and that is with 800 rounds down the tube. The two groups were with factory ammo. For what the OP wants an edge or rum would be more than enough gun and could be built on a practical hunting action. I like the rum with the added free bore for hunting because it will fit in the Wyatt's box. I considered a 375 LAI or a 338 LAI when I built mine but settled on the RUM because of the action I had. I have not been disappointed. It is a play gun. I hunt Alaska with a 338 Win Mag Mark V. Owned a 338-378 Mark V and sold it. I prefer the RUM. But opinions are like butt holes!😂 Everyone's got one and some work better than other's!😂 Happy shooting friend!

Last edited:
hanks I'll look into the 338 RUM +P but missing out on lapua brass would be ... tragic. And I 100% agree,
The 338 Edge is the 300 RUM necked up, it's pretty much the same output but the Edge comes with ADG brass support.

I would add a 24" bipod extension and an accu-tac and go play which is all the OP wants to do.
I use an AccuTac, but not a BiPodExt on my ELR rifle. I do have one and use it on another rifle, but with a wedge rear bag I can use the Atlas or my Evo set at 45* with spiked feet and dig in fine.

Last edited:
FTFY

I believe ADG does brass for both 338 EDGE and RUM. The Edge is more popular but 338 RUM has factory ammo offerings.
Edge has a bit more case capacity.
If you give the RUM a little free bore and improve it slightly case capacity is the same. I run 91 grains of H1000 over Fed magnum match primers pushing 300 grain OTMs at 2775 from a 27" tube. That is identical velocity to the edge and the Lapua. That said while you can shoot factory ammo in a pinch my rifle does not really like it. The only factory ammo that will shoot sub moa in it is Premier A-frames (Remington match grade).

I didn't read all the posts so sorry if this is redundant.
I am similar to you wanted a 'BIG' gun. I went with weatherby's 338-378. Shooting 107 grains of IMR 8133 with Parker 275 grain bullets @ 2965fps. Shooting out to 1000 yards, rocking the plates. I've shot one elk with it and knocked it down, only 200 yards though.

I believe ADG does brass for both 338 EDGE and RUM.
Yes my typo. Thanks 👍

ADG makes all three - 300 RUM, and 338 Edge, and 338 RUM brass. My point was the 338 Edge is not a true wildcat in that it has good brass support now so I don't see a reason to try to improve the 338 RUM when there's a larger case available. Factory ammo availability does not factor into my preferences though.

If your going to shoot 3000 it won't be from a tripod or even an atlas bipod. What is good accuracy at 3000? 30 inches? We are talking ELR not hunting and in the RUM platform we're talking having to go subsonic. Agreed it want be an enabler but it will get you pretty close if all your going to do is play. Taken mine to 2000 with zero issues on a 24" plate with a bipod. Hit 3 out of 5 with the misses coming on the first 2 as we walked it in. Honestly we don't have anywhere around here to shoot beyond 1200-1500 yards on a regular basis and we are at sea level. In Alaska if you were at altitude I don't think you would have a problem. I would add a 24" bipod extension and an accu-tac and go play which is all the OP wants to do. I run the 256 Flatliners in mine with the tubbs ring they are supersonic to 2600. They should stabilize enough to hit a 36" plate at 3000. The group in my original post is a 5 shot group using IMR 4350 and ABLRs. It measured .029. My rifle is a complete custom rifle with a 27" palma Bartlein barrel. It shoots sub half inch regularly. I have only had two five shot groups that shot more than a 1.25 and that is with 800 rounds down the tube. The two groups were with factory ammo. For what the OP wants an edge or rum would be more than enough gun and could be built on a practical hunting action. I like the rum with the added free bore for hunting because it will fit in the Wyatt's box. I considered a 375 LAI or a 338 LAI when I built mine but settled on the RUM because of the action I had. I have not been disappointed. It is a play gun. I hunt Alaska with a 338 Win Mag Mark V. Owned a 338-378 Mark V and sold it. I prefer the RUM. But opinions are like butt holes!😂 Everyone's got one and some work better than other's!😂 Happy shooting friend!
I need to make an amendment to my previous post. I spoke without looking at my actual data & dope book. I was speaking from memory and my memory isn't that good anymore. According to what I have in the book we were getting 3100 fps with the 256 Flatliners which based on a G7 of .434 and our dope and conditions that day we estimated we would stay super to 2300. We had no problems at 2000 except for walking it in left to right due to about a 10-12 mph wind swirling in the valley. We actually ended up holding as if there was no wind at all. Based on what we saw we thought we could make impacts out to 2600. That said 3000 maybe asking a little much of the RUM, though it has been done. Again we were hitting a 24x36" plate at 2000, so anything beyond that is speculation on my part. I apologize for the over estimation and sarcasm 😁. The RUM has no issues to over a mile. And can kill anything on the planet to 800+. For a long range Hunter I don't think you could ask for more and with a good brake recoil is negligible. JMO

Last edited:
I don't know how many of you have shot 2000 plus yards at sea level or below? What I can tell you is you will run out of glass before you run out of gun. Buy the best glass you can afford. I have a Luepold Mark V 5-25, PMII 5-25, Cronus BTR 4.5-29 and Ares ETR 4.5-29. The 338 wears the Ares ETR because it has the most elevation. None of them are sufficient to push past 2000 yards in my opinion. I would go Leupold Mk V 7-35, NF Atacr 7-35, ZCO or TT. If you are going to go one and a half to two miles and beyond you will need it. I have not tried the new Schmidt. If you are going to go with a XC or Cheytec you will need it to really enjoy the gun and get it to perform at its best. The Mark V was built for two mile competition. If you can afford it I'd invest in the glass first. $2500-8500. It is the most important piece of the puzzle to me, along with the mounting system you choose. You want get away with cheap glass beyond 2000. On a bad day you may not get away with it at a thousand unless conditions are perfect. Just my observation and experience. All my hunting rifles wear Leupold, ELR is secondary for those rifles and I trust Leupold when it comes to putting stuff down and the shot has to count. Knock on wood in more than 30 years I have never had one fail. An added bonus since it is a hunting rifle, the Lupy is the lightest of those options and the cheapest. JMO

Last edited:
There's target shooting and thn there's hunting. Most bullets need around 1800 fps to open up reliableto cause their terminal performance. For most normal mugnums, that ends up being around 1,000 yds out to 1,700 yds. Beyond that, you may hit your target - and it is great practice, but the bullet will not be nearly as effective in terms of terminal performnce. So to my mind, the bullet runs out of 'gas' before I run out of glass.

There's target shooting and thn there's hunting. Most bullets need around 1800 fps to open up reliableto cause their terminal performance. For most normal mugnums, that ends up being around 1,000 yds out to 1,700 yds. Beyond that, you may hit your target - and it is great practice, but the bullet will not be nearly as effective in terms of terminal performnce. So to my mind, the bullet runs out of 'gas' before I run out of glass.
I agree! I don't really think anyone should be shooting large critters like moose and browns beyond 500 and deer beyond a grand. Not sure if I agree with that but for hunting purposes that would be the limit, ethically. However, the OP wants to shoot ELR which is why he was exploring the Enabler and XC cartridges instead of the RUMs which are my preference. I guess the question should be what do you consider ELR? How far do you want to try and shoot? My RUM will shoot further than I have the range or glass to shoot, hence I can't see a need for more gun in a hunting package, practically speaking. But if you want more buy the glass to fit the gun and if you plan to go beyond a mile buy the best glass you can afford.

Any recommendations where to find a reamer and dies for 338 norma imp?
JGS, call and ask for a 40* 338 Lapua Improved, you're looking for a .200 line B spec of .5882 and shoulder line E spec of .5700 on their print.

For dies call Accurate Arms and order a Redding 77927. Seating you can either order the corresponding #927 seater, use a generic 338 seater like a Hornady, or what I did was get an LE Wilson mic blank cut with the reamer.

I've used JGS, Manson, and Clymer, just happens that JGS had the print when I needed this one.

4D Rentals rents a 338 Lapua Improved, you could call them and ask for a print to see if you can rent instead of buy. I would rent the gauges even if you buy a reamer.

Last edited: