.375 chamberings for ELR hunting and shooting

I think this started as a thread for one gun for ELR and African hunting but has quickly gone to 2 guns. one for ELR, one for plains game.
I'm really enticed by a 37XC for ELR since Trudeau banned 375 CT here. I think ur on track for something else for your African hunt, I'd probably go for a 416 Rigby just because.

Yes I have not overlooked the lapua. But the 300 prc has been enticing me recently and it didn't help that Lapua is releasing brass for it.
I was gonna throw out the 300prc but wasn't your intended list at first. Although you just starting out I think it's the most realistic option for you. If that impressed you check out the 30 Sherman. It's a PRC improved and the brass is already available and probably as good as lapua brass. Buy a factory rifle you like in PRC and have a smith cut it to PRC. M you can shoot PRC ammo very accurately and when time to reload bam more hp.

Read Robertson's Africas Most Dangerous if you're interested in Africa and Cape Buff. As mentioned previously, he was a guide, game control officer and is a veterinarian. He did autopsies on many buff kills.

The 375 H&H is one of his recommendations and he recommends downloading to 2200 fps at the muzzle. He also recommends several brands of rifle that are or can be made africa ready.

The 375 H&H will kill every huntable mammal in the world from elephant to duiker. Its a great caliber, has significant market share so will retain resale value and will have usable ammo when/if your ammo doesnt show up. This happened to me in Namibia.

As the OP stated, the point of dangerous game hunting is to get in close. Often inside 100 yards. My wife shot hers at 12 paces. I shot mine just inside that. It is a thrill that becomes an addiction. You will be planning your next Aftican safari before your first one is over. They will all be great, but none will be as great as that first one you do.

Enjoy your hunt and search for the next rifle. You will enjoy Im sure.

Also, quick word on bullets for buff. Typical recommendation is one soft in the hole followed by solids in the mag. Typical choices for American hunters include Barnes, Swift and Troohy bonded bear claws. You want solids/softs that fire to same point of impact. I have had great success with A-frames and breakaways. Breakaways are hard to find so source well in advance of need.

Yes I do, thought the guy was my best friend untill I say hey bud how about some Retumbo (no way), 3 years ago at a big trap shoot in Spokane I bought 2 cases - 8 lb'ers for him. He's still my best friend , got a 8lb of H1000 instead.

Within a few years, I'm looking to travel the world and hunt game of every size. Including Kodiak bear, Cape buffalo, and maybe a giraffe if I can. To be able to safely take these game and abide by whatever laws that are set in their area I need a cartridge with a caliber of at least .375. I've been looking at four cartridges to push the new heavier bullets fast: 375 Cheytac, 375 Snipetac, 375 Mercenary, and the 375 Mjolnir. I am not an expert on any of these chambering's but from my limited knowledge the 375 Cheytac requires a cheytac length action of course and can push 350 grain bullets at around 3100 ft./s, it seems that the snipetac is an improved version of the Cheytac which gains velocity and im assuming trys to mitigate case growth however I am unsure of how much velocity it gains. The 375 mercenary seems to be a wildcat created by swamplord based on the Cheytac action and bolt face however it has a longer overall length and sharper shoulders allowing the same bullet to be pushed faster. The Mjolnir on the other hand looks to be the derivative of an improved 500 Jeffrey therefore not on the Cheytac action but I do not know if It can be mag fed with a 350 match king, this looks the safest of the options barrel life wise However I have zero knowledge on any of the ballistics for how fast It can push anything. I would like to know more about the three Wildcats and each of their benefits upon the 375 Cheytac. If anyone has first-hand knowledge with these I would like to know brass availability if possible or any other knowledge you would be willing to share.

-Coercionist
In my opinion, you can go with a .375 anything Mag, but why endure the extra cost, extra recoil, extra muzzle blast, etc…
You will want a caliber that is accurate, because shot placement trumps extra energy and bad shot placement.
I, personally, have switched to the 9.3x62mm! The bore is almost as big as a .375, plus if you hand load, you can juice the cartridge up a lot, in a modern bolt action, let's say, like a Sauer 100 Classic XT, which, by the way, won't make you go bankrupt in the process of purchasing it.
With using a 286 gr bullet, and pushing it in the neighborhood of 2475 - 2525 fps, it will equal the .375 H&H in performance. If you, and others don't think so, check online for 60k psi loadings of the 9.3x62mm!
I know there will be some on here saying that the cartridge isn't legal in a lot of African countries, but most of those countries have grandfathered in the 9.3x62. Why? Because it's just that good! Especially, when loaded to 60-64k psi. Plus, those rifles can usually hold one or two more rounds than a .375 H&H Mag.
The 9.3mm bullets are higher in ballistic coefficient and have more sectional density than .375 bullets, and shoot flatter, and dig deeper.
Plus, if you want to make 400-500 yd shots, you can! It shoots plenty flat, about the trajectory of a 180 gr .30-06 load, and have ample umph at those distances to cleanly take deer, bear, elk, and moose.
Just look at it and the ballistics, you'll be surprised. I know I sure was!
Another thing worth mentioning, if you and your ammo get separated while flying to Africa, you can always buy some good ammo over there for it, because it's plentiful.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Hawk

In my opinion, you can go with a .375 anything Mag, but why endure the extra cost, extra recoil, extra muzzle blast, etc…
You will want a caliber that is accurate, because shot placement trumps extra energy and bad shot placement.
I, personally, have switched to the 9.3x62mm! The bore is almost as big as a .375, plus if you hand load, you can juice the cartridge up a lot, in a modern bolt action, let's say, like a Sauer 100 Classic XT, which, by the way, won't make you go bankrupt in the process of purchasing it.
With using a 286 gr bullet, and pushing it in the neighborhood of 2475 - 2525 fps, it will equal the .375 H&H in performance. If you, and others don't think so, check online for 60k psi loadings of the 9.3x62mm!
I know there will be some on here saying that the cartridge isn't legal in a lot of African countries, but most of those countries have grandfathered in the 9.3x62. Why? Because it's just that good! Especially, when loaded to 60-64k psi. Plus, those rifles can usually hold one or two more rounds than a .375 H&H Mag.
The 9.3mm bullets are higher in ballistic coefficient and have more sectional density than .375 bullets, and shoot flatter, and dig deeper.
Plus, if you want to make 400-500 yd shots, you can! It shoots plenty flat, about the trajectory of a 180 gr .30-06 load, and have ample umph at those distances to cleanly take deer, bear, elk, and moose.
Another thing worth mentioning, if you and your ammo get separated while flying to Africa, you can always buy some good ammo over there for it, because it's plentiful.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Hawk
Robertson, mentioned in earlier posts is also a big fan of the 9.3x62 for readons mentioned above.

Absolutely! It's a cartridge that won't loosen your fillings, and is very eager to please!
If you do your part, it will do just fine!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hawk
From his original post, 2nd sentence:
To be able to safely take these game and abide by whatever laws that are set in their area I need a cartridge with a caliber of at least .375.

I am a big 375 fan myself and have taken many head of game with them. The 9.3x62 is in fact a very capable cartridge and qualifies for dangerous game in most jurisdictions based on calculated muscle energy. The fact that it fits in a standard length Mauser 98 action and is not subject to any military ammo restrictions made it very popular in Europe, Africa, and other parts of the world. Otto Bock got it right in 1905. I can see myself owning one someday if I come across the right rifle...

From his original post, 2nd sentence:
To be able to safely take these game and abide by whatever laws that are set in their area I need a cartridge with a caliber of at least .375.
Sorry, I didn't see that at first.
But, it may not hurt to ask your PH in Africa about possibly using the 9.3x62mm.
As I said before, a lot of those countries that state minimum of .375 H&H, had grandfathered the 9.3x62mm into their laws.
Doesn't hurt to ask.

Hawk