.375 chamberings for ELR hunting and shooting

An 'African Rifle' that is easy to carry and quick to get into action will serve you better than anything heavy and cumbersome. Foot pounds of energy doesn't drop big animals, good bullets properly placed do. And if your ammo doesn't arrive (as has happened to me) local availability becomes crucial. This all points to the 375 H&H being the most practical choice, and it is a very capable round.

The Allen Mag is just a smidge more improved than the Snipetac.
I went with a XC because I can put it in an action made for a .338 Lapua. I wanted somewhat Cheytac performance but in a lighter platform. This one currently has a carbon barrel. It is more than a Lapua but a Cheytac it is not. To my knowledge (and I could be wrong) to run the XC as a repeater you need a Cheytac action. If that's the case I'd just do a Cheytac/Snipetac. My XC is also more of a budget build, my Snipetac is not! Don't think I can bring myself to having that much invested into two rifles at the same time.

Just an FYI, You are not likely to find a guide for Kodiak brown bear that will allow you to shoot a bear beyond 200 yards.
That was to be expected, for the longer range stuff I was thinking more elk and moose for dangerous game I would like to be more close, Id want the thrill

I am not an expert on this subject; however, the gun smith at Independence Indoor Shooting in Meridian, ID is…. I know he had his personal 375 Cheytac for sale about a year ago. He would be a good source of info if you need some guidance or are looking for a custom build. His name is Jeff.

I am not an expert on this subject; however, the gun smith at Independence Indoor Shooting in Meridian, ID is…. I know he had his personal 375 Cheytac for sale about a year ago. He would be a good source of info if you need some guidance or are looking for a custom build. His name is Jeff.
I will definitely take that into account any specific questions relating to a build

Curiosity compels me to ask if you've ever been hunting anything, from prairie dogs to polar bear? Experience gained from actual hunting is worth much more than information found only in books (or emails). You mention that you will begin your hunting "in a few years". It is quite possible that new guns and ammunition will be available "in a few years" and any information found in writings may be outdated. Wait a minute, "outdated". No, animals won't get any harder to kill "in a few years" from whatever it takes today, or yesterday. Yesterday (not reallyl that long ago) people killed everything with the puny .375 H &b H mag. Okay, maybe they used a larger caliber for charging elephants and/or Cape buffalo. But lesser critters were dispatched with the .375. Roy Weatherby's popular .300 Wby Mag was used by many to kill just about everything. What about long distance? A good guide is likely to get you within much less than a mile, say around a 1/4 mile or less, and there are many well-proven calibers for that range. But you might want to try hunting a few critters before investing in your prospective epic hunting journey.

Curiosity compels me to ask if you've ever been hunting anything, from prairie dogs to polar bear? Experience gained from actual hunting is worth much more than information found only in books (or emails). You mention that you will begin your hunting "in a few years". It is quite possible that new guns and ammunition will be available "in a few years" and any information found in writings may be outdated. Wait a minute, "outdated". No, animals won't get any harder to kill "in a few years" from whatever it takes today, or yesterday. Yesterday (not reallyl that long ago) people killed everything with the puny .375 H &b H mag. Okay, maybe they used a larger caliber for charging elephants and/or Cape buffalo. But lesser critters were dispatched with the .375. Roy Weatherby's popular .300 Wby Mag was used by many to kill just about everything. What about long distance? A good guide is likely to get you within much less than a mile, say around a 1/4 mile or less, and there are many well-proven calibers for that range. But you might want to try hunting a few critters before investing in your prospective epic hunting journey.
Yes I've killed Deer, coyote and a few other varmints. I am just looking to travel and gain more experience

That was to be expected, for the longer range stuff I was thinking more elk and moose for dangerous game I would like to be more close, Id want the thrill
I am not sure the 375 Cheytac would be your best option on elk. You need a mobile platform and I think you would be bouncing off 18+ lbs here not to mention this could be considered overkill an elk.

As far as Moose, I think the 375 is a great choice but you could have a similar issue w mobility.

If you wanted one gun for both, have you considered 338 Lapua? Several custom shops make these w carbon barrels and you could have a complete rifle system under 10 lb.

I am not sure the 375 Cheytac would be your best option on elk. You need a mobile platform and I think you would be bouncing off 18+ lbs here not to mention this could be considered overkill an elk.

As far as Moose, I think the 375 is a great choice but you could have a similar issue w mobility.

If you wanted one gun for both, have you considered 338 Lapua? Several custom shops make these w carbon barrels and you could have a complete rifle system under 10 lb.
Yes I have not overlooked the lapua. But the 300 prc has been enticing me recently and it didn't help that Lapua is releasing brass for it.

I lived and worked in Dar es Salaam for the years starting in 1970. Great hunting, but all before the days of Barnes Bullets or Cheytac rifles. Had a pre-64 Model 70 in .375 H&H, with which I took several Cape buffalo, two elephants and lots of plains game. I considered it the best caliber I ever carried, even compared to my.450 double rifle, which I didn't use very often. The double was heavier, but recoil on both was about the same, and totally tolerable. The.375 H&H was just such a good caliber I just didn't need more. I probably would even have used it on elk at 1000 yards, but I did not hunt elk at any range in those days. I have rung steel with it at800 yards, and that was a12" gong. It is a super cartridge. Just my $.02.

I lived and worked in Dar es Salaam for the years starting in 1970. Great hunting, but all before the days of Barnes Bullets or Cheytac rifles. Had a pre-64 Model 70 in .375 H&H, with which I took several Cape buffalo, two elephants and lots of plains game. I considered it the best caliber I ever carried, even compared to my.450 double rifle, which I didn't use very often. The double was heavier, but recoil on both was about the same, and totally tolerable. The.375 H&H was just such a good caliber I just didn't need more. I probably would even have used it on elk at 1000 yards, but I did not hunt elk at any range in those days. I have rung steel with it at800 yards, and that was a12" gong. It is a super cartridge. Just my $.02.
I certainly have respect for the old 375 hh

Back when I began reading about guns (I joined the NRA in 1948) the 30-06 was the go-to rifle for just about everything. If you were going to Africa you definitely needed a .375 H&H. My first hi-power rifle was the venerable, and still useful .30-06. When the 7mm Rem Mag came along I bought one. Then I decided I "needed" a .300 Wby Mag to be really effective. When I had a chance to go to Africa (1993) I did buy a .375 H&H and shot everything (plains game) with that. Had so much fun with the .375 I used it in North America for moose, elk, caribou and bear. Fast forward to a couple years ago and I realized what I now needed was a .338 Lapua Magnum. Love it. But wait a minute...nothing changed in the animals and I continue to refuse to take a shot farther than 300 to maybe 400 yards. Okay, I'm "old fashioned" and "conservative". But I have to confess to buying into the changing theories of large-caliber hunting. But remember, the critters haven't changed.