Scope Recommendations for ELR - both hunting and range applications

Hands down, my choice if I had the funds you seem to be willing to spend would be Schmidt & Bender. You would be doing yourself a huge disservice in not looking into S&B.

From 1-8×24 to a straight 10×42, to a 3-20×50, to 5-45×56, to 12-50×56, S&B has every want you could have covered. From the Klassik, to Polar, to PMII lines.
A few standouts come to mind in the PMII lineup:
4-16×50 (standard or Ultra bright), 3-20×50 (US or non), 5-20×50 (US or non) 5-25×56, 3-27×56, 5-45×56. I have a couple, and with the exception of Tangent Theta, nothing else compares. Not my Kahles, not any one of 20 different NF ATACR F1s I have shot behind, and certainly not Leupold.

The other one to consider would be Tangent Theta. With three options, they have you covered. Lightweight 3-15×50 TT315M, tactical 3-15×50 TT315P, and the 5-25×56 TT525P.
Absolute scope perfection. You will not find a better scope. Period.

I appreciate all the feedback and advice. S&B was on my list as a top candidate, having owned a couple, and the reason I didnt include them was due to weight across the line. If this was only for PRS and range rifles, I would agree they are worth a strong look.

You all have helped me confirm thoughts and make a decision
Taking into account build quality, glass quality, price, and most importantly need - I am going with the Austrian Gods of Glass...Kahles and the SKMR reticle in 5 rifles and the SKMR3 in the 338NM and the K624i model. Now before you all tell me I am buying 3 year old technology, I was able to find some on clearance and one time after xmas offers that saved me anywhere from 15-30% off of the retail of 2999. Buying 6 of these is no small financial task even with discounts and deals. Yeah, I had to call 4 different places to get them, and it is going to be so worth is. The reticle is clean, can be used for both hunting and precision shooting and the glass and build quality are pinnacle design qualities. All told, better quality and function than Leupold, lighter than Nightforce for similar applications and a guy could argue better glass than both. Ill have these optics for as long as I want...they will always be relevant.

Will be a pretty cool moment in a shooters life to be able to accomplish something like this. If I can remember to, Ill try to send along a photo of all the rifles when complete.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 5.13.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 5.13.02 PM.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Hands down, my choice if I had the funds you seem to be willing to spend would be Schmidt & Bender. You would be doing yourself a huge disservice in not looking into S&B.

From 1-8×24 to a straight 10×42, to a 3-20×50, to 5-45×56, to 12-50×56, S&B has every want you could have covered. From the Klassik, to Polar, to PMII lines.
A few standouts come to mind in the PMII lineup:
4-16×50 (standard or Ultra bright), 3-20×50 (US or non), 5-20×50 (US or non) 5-25×56, 3-27×56, 5-45×56. I have a couple, and with the exception of Tangent Theta, nothing else compares. Not my Kahles, not any one of 20 different NF ATACR F1s I have shot behind, and certainly not Leupold.

The other one to consider would be Tangent Theta. With three options, they have you covered. Lightweight 3-15×50 TT315M, tactical 3-15×50 TT315P, and the 5-25×56 TT525P.
Absolute scope perfection. You will not find a better scope. Period.

@lancetkenyon have you tried the Stratos line? If so how do they compare to the Zenith? I know it's not ELR but I'm eying a Stratos 1.5-8x42 for close to midrange 7mm08 hunting rifle. Thanks!

I love my Kahles. Did you get any of the K525i or K318i? The 3-18×50 is perfect for the .22-250 & 6.5CM.

SO glad to hear you enjoy yours.
Thought about getting 1 or 2 of the 3-18's thinking I could save weight too. When I looked at the weight there is only about 3 oz difference so I stayed with the 6-24 across the line.I do use my 6.5 CM for PRS and LR instruction and I prefer higher magnification ranges. As an example, I will often zero 100 yards at 18-22 power so having 24 is comfortable to me.

I have not researched Kahles. Are you saying you got better specs for same money as NSX?

The biggest issue I had with the NXS line is that for a $2,000 price point, the glass is not premium HD like the ATACR line. To get the best glass you have to run a scope that is = expensive to the Kahles and weighs 10 oz more. Finding some sales and discounts for military buyers, I get Swaro glass, functionality on par or better than Nightforce, reticles that I like, and weights that are on par with NXS for just a bit more money

The biggest issue I had with the NXS line is that for a $2,000 price point, the glass is not premium HD like the ATACR line. To get the best glass you have to run a scope that is = expensive to the Kahles and weighs 10 oz more. Finding some sales and discounts for military buyers, I get Swaro glass, functionality on par or better than Nightforce, reticles that I like, and weights that are on par with NXS for just a bit more money

Looks like the Kahles is only offered in FFP? And quite a bit more $ than NXS and probably worth it. I'm leaning towards SFP and don't want to spend more than 2,600.

Looks like the Kahles is only offered in FFP? And quite a bit more $ than NXS and probably worth it. I'm leaning towards SFP and don't want to spend more than 2,600.

If you were only going to hunt, ever...I would go with SFP and MOA. Knowing I am using them for both hunting and PRS, and wanted to ensure that all my reticles and functionality are the same, I chose FFP and MILS.
It is more $ and in my estimation, worth every penny.

If you were only going to hunt, ever...I would go with SFP and MOA. Knowing I am using them for both hunting and PRS, and wanted to ensure that all my reticles and functionality are the same, I chose FFP and MILS.
It is more $ and in my estimation, worth every penny.

My use will be primarily hunting, and I agree with you, just different usage.

Newbee to the group
I need the rejected present scopes: Mfg and detailed description . include tube size and of course dollars needed.
With that many there has to be gem.

Newbee to the group
I need the rejected present scopes: Mfg and detailed description . include tube size and of course dollars needed.
With that many there has to be gem.
If you are asking about the scopes I took off the rifles? They are all sold and gone