338 or 375 EnABELR or alternative cartridge for ELR hunting

The only reason I made the comment about terminal velocity/speed of bullets was the OP's opening statement: "I plan on using 90% for hunting (likely off a tripod) and 10% for casually shooting steel at 1,500+ yards".

The only reason I made the comment about terminal velocity/speed of bullets was the OP's opening statement: "I plan on using 90% for hunting (likely off a tripod) and 10% for casually shooting steel at 1,500+ yards".
Right on! Which is why I think the RUM or edge would be plenty but it looks like he is leaning towards the 338 Norma Improved. In a hunting rifle I might go there if I didn't already own a 338 RUM. The XC, Cheytec and enablers are great rounds but not really practical for hunting and require large heavy actions. They were developed to ring steel at 1500 plus. They are two mile guns with long barrels. Not many places to ring them out and if I built one I would want to drive it just as far as I could. If it were a golf driver I'd want a come out of my shoes when I swung it otherwise what's the point?🤔😁 You certainly don't need one to kill any critters on this side of the planet. But then again this ain't a needs kind of sport.🤣

I guess the question should be what do you consider ELR?
I'll be shooting ELR very very casually. I would guess 1.5K to 2K yards tops. For 1K or less I shoot at my local range here in Colorado and this rifle would definitely not be my go-to unless I'm practicing before hunting season or if it's extremely windy so I can both practice in those conditions and still get out and shoot long range without relying on one of my weaker cartridges.

JGS, call and ask for a 40* 338 Lapua Improved, you're looking for a .200 line B spec of .5882 and shoulder line E spec of .5700 on their print.

For dies call Accurate Arms and order a Redding 77927. Seating you can either order the corresponding #927 seater, use a generic 338 seater like a Hornady, or what I did was get an LE Wilson mic blank cut with the reamer.

I've used JGS, Manson, and Clymer, just happens that JGS had the print when I needed this one.

4D Rentals rents a 338 Lapua Improved, you could call them and ask for a print to see if you can rent instead of buy. I would rent the gauges even if you buy a reamer.
Thank you!

I've got a 338 Norma Magnum and have taken moose out to 950 yards with a 275 grain Super Bulldozer 2 from badlands. I did this before my TBAC 338 Ultra was out of NFA jail. We will see how she shoots with it this summer during some club competitions locally.

I'm currently in the process of building a 375 EnABELR that will be used for hunting as well. However, I will be shooting the EnABELR with the Elite Iron Asset hanging off the front.

I will be looking at putting the 375 in a Mirage ULR chassis. Waiting on the action, second barrel, and reamers to arrive in the next couple months. Once I have all of that I'll place my order for the chassis. I will be running 30" K and P 1:8 twist barrels 6 groove.

My neighbor just took a brown bear with her trusty .308, and as we know, it's all about shot placement and bullet selection.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the big bore selections. I'd see what reloading components you can get your hands on and go from there.

I did my 375 build in reverse order this time, and started tracking down cases, bullets, dies, etc. before I even ordered the Elite Iron Asset. Hopefully my asset is out of jail this month so I can have it ready to go by the time Shaen gets my barrel spun up.

I do recommend going with a faster twist rate barrel if you're looking to shoot the longer mono bullets. I'm changing out my 338 NM to 1:8 twist later this fall.

Right on! Which is why I think the RUM or edge would be plenty but it looks like he is leaning towards the 338 Norma Improved. In a hunting rifle I might go there if I didn't already own a 338 RUM. The XC, Cheytec and enablers are great rounds but not really practical for hunting and require large heavy actions. They were developed to ring steel at 1500 plus. They are two mile guns with long barrels. Not many places to ring them out and if I built one I would want to drive it just as far as I could. If it were a golf driver I'd want a come out of my shoes when I swung it otherwise what's the point?🤔😁 You certainly don't need one to kill any critters on this side of the planet. But then again this ain't a needs kind of sport.🤣
I need a 375 EnABELR to kill ground squirrels!

I've got a 338 Norma Magnum and have taken moose out to 950 yards with a 275 grain Super Bulldozer 2 from badlands. I did this before my TBAC 338 Ultra was out of NFA jail. We will see how she shoots with it this summer during some club competitions locally.

I'm currently in the process of building a 375 EnABELR that will be used for hunting as well. However, I will be shooting the EnABELR with the Elite Iron Asset hanging off the front.

I will be looking at putting the 375 in a Mirage ULR chassis. Waiting on the action, second barrel, and reamers to arrive in the next couple months. Once I have all of that I'll place my order for the chassis. I will be running 30" K and P 1:8 twist barrels 6 groove.

My neighbor just took a brown bear with her trusty .308, and as we know, it's all about shot placement and bullet selection.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the big bore selections. I'd see what reloading components you can get your hands on and go from there.

I did my 375 build in reverse order this time, and started tracking down cases, bullets, dies, etc. before I even ordered the Elite Iron Asset. Hopefully my asset is out of jail this month so I can have it ready to go by the time Shaen gets my barrel spun up.

I do recommend going with a faster twist rate barrel if you're looking to shoot the longer mono bullets. I'm changing out my 338 NM to 1:8 twist later this fall.
My asset 375 just came in. Without a doubt the my top choice for anything cheytac sized.
Got an asset 30 and 416 windtalker coming soon as well

I'm with the Rum /Edge guys but put together a pile of both .
Been out to 3027 yards with the 30" 338 Edge , 300 gr bergers . Shot a 3 shot group on a steel target (36" x 36" ) and it's my personal best to date 3 shots in a 26 3/4" group !
This was with H-1000 at the time , all I had to use . Now things are a bit faster with Re-33 a touch over 3000 ft.per.sec.

No special chamber or +P throat. Its 19.6 pounds right now with the 200 min .adj.Valdada base .
I also used a Vortex Razor gen 1 5x 20 x 50 . I had to back off the power because I was seeing the end of my barrel in the scope !

I'm not sure if the 300 gr berger would do any good on a 10' Brown Bear I have no experience in that so far .

Anyway how is your Rifle coming along ?
What was your choice ?

Here is a picture of my set up ! I had 6 338's at the time !

I had to shoot from that bench , I was recovering from Open Heart Surgery at that time and couldn't lay prone .

20200410_110108.jpg

I'm with the Rum /Edge guys but put together a pile of both .
Been out to 3027 yards with the 30" 338 Edge , 300 gr bergers . Shot a 3 shot group on a steel target (36" x 36" ) and it's my personal best to date 3 shots in a 26 3/4" group !
This was with H-1000 at the time , all I had to use . Now things are a bit faster with Re-33 a touch over 3000 ft.per.sec.

No special chamber or +P throat. Its 19.6 pounds right now with the 200 min .adj.Valdada base .
I also used a Vortex Razor gen 1 5x 20 x 50 . I had to back off the power because I was seeing the end of my barrel in the scope !

I'm not sure if the 300 gr berger would do any good on a 10' Brown Bear I have no experience in that so far .

Anyway how is your Rifle coming along ?
What was your choice ?

Here is a picture of my set up ! I had 6 338's at the time !

I had to shoot from that bench , I was recovering from Open Heart Surgery at that time and couldn't lay prone .

View attachment 525161
How many 338 do you have now?