338 XC, Snipetac, or EnABELR

Im currently shooting a 33XC in Light Class & 375 Cheytac in Heavy Class.I startedout witha 300 PRC amd movedup in about 4 mouths to the 2 I mentikon ed.I had built a 30 Sherman Magnum and Have not shot is much at all.Im rollingaround the idea of rebarrling it to a 338 Edge +P.
So how much better is the 338+P than your 338 Edge? How much faster shooting a 300 grain bullet.?
I am running a RUM Improved +p out of a 27" Bartlein barrel. My accuracy node is 2775 fps with no pressure signs. I run 300 grain Berger OTMs over 91 grains of H1000. My barrel is a 6 groove Heavy Palma. I went with the improved over the edge because I could shoot the 250s and the 265 ABLR's out of my Wyatt's box. The 300 OTMs and Flatliner 256s have to be single fed. I have not had a chance to see how fast we can push the 256s and still be consistent but they should shoot around 3000+. Initial load development was with 85 grains of IMR 4350. The load was accurate but we did not crono it. We were just trying to make sure they would stabilize. My rifle is a 1/10 twist. If I had to do it again I would go 1/8 and shoot the 285 Flatliners and the 300s.

I am running a RUM Improved +p out of a 27" Bartlein barrel. My accuracy node is 2775 fps with no pressure signs. I run 300 grain Berger OTMs over 91 grains of H1000. My barrel is a 6 groove Heavy Palma. I went with the improved over the edge because I could shoot the 250s and the 265 ABLR's out of my Wyatt's box. The 300 OTMs and Flatliner 256s have to be single fed. I have not had a chance to see how fast we can push the 256s and still be consistent but they should shoot around 3000+. Initial load development was with 85 grains of IMR 4350. The load was accurate but we did not crono it. We were just trying to make sure they would stabilize. My rifle is a 1/10 twist. If I had to do it again I would go 1/8 and shoot the 285 Flatliners and the 300s.
Thank you.I have went back and forth on whether yto build a 338 Edge or a Plus P or a 300 RUM +P. I just cant justify building another 33 caliber when Im shooting a 33XC already.I love my 300 PRC and I really like my 30 Sherman Mag.But I still keep looking at the 300 RUM brass I picked up off the ground at my gun range and I keep thinking MORE Powder and more speed.
What made you choose a 6 groove vof 5 or 4 Groove?

Thank you.I have went back and forth on whether yto build a 338 Edge or a Plus P or a 300 RUM +P. I just cant justify building another 33 caliber when Im shooting a 33XC already.I love my 300 PRC and I really like my 30 Sherman Mag.But I still keep looking at the 300 RUM brass I picked up off the ground at my gun range and I keep thinking MORE Powder and more speed.
Honestly, It was what was in stock at the time. I have owned 4,5,6 groove barrels and have not really seen a difference in performance when using a premium barrel. This is probably the best barrel I have shot. I say that simply because it is the easiest to get to shoot and it shoots the tightest groups. I rarely clean it other than to run a dry patch through it. I believe in copper fouling a barrel. I think if you are shooting a Krieger or Bartlein Premium match grade barrel the number of grooves really doesn't matter. Although there is a lot of talk around the merits of 5R most your world records were set with 6 groove and a few 4 groove barrels. Just my thoughts off the top of my head.

I went from 300 RUM to 30 Sherman and I am getting almost identical velocity but with 10 grains less powder

What are the advantages and disadvantages between the 33XC vs the 338 Snipetac on...

Better ballistics (velocity, energy, flatter shooting, less drop etc)
Barrel life?
Cost of ammo?
Ae they both repeaters or single shots?
Custom build (more expensive, easier or harder to obtain parts etc) ?

Does the 37XC beat them both?

Last edited:
Just how crazy one wants to get and just how DEEP $$$$$$ are your pockets ?? Remember you still have to feed it brass,bullets,powder,primers and also a super scope to complete the package. Also the extras tooo ???

The difference is the 33XC can be built on almost any action a .338 Lapua can, the Cheytac needs a much larger action. The XC case is a smidge longer, but the Cheytac is a bit fatter and has 20+ more grains of case capacity. The Cheytac has the advantage as far as pure performance. I've seen a couple .408 and .375 Cheytac factory loaded options, but never seen a .338 Cheytac offering (none for the XC as well). These are best suited for loading your own. The Cheytac needs a larger press (like those capable of .50 BMG), where as I load my XC on a standard sized one (same and my .300 WinMag or .308). I would say that all things being equal, the Cheytac will be more costly and heavy as far as builds go. They can both be in a repeater action, though I thought my .375 Snipetac (Cheytac Improved) being a repeater was a waist of money.
A 37XC has the potential for larger and very high BC bullets than a .338, but as far as being better that depends on the intended purpose of the rifle. I'll say this, it takes on h@!! of a rifle/cartridge combo to beat out a .338 or .375 Allen Mag (basically an improved to the max Cheytac), especially for hunting. Run the numbers on a 300 grain .338 Berger going over 3400 fps! I've seen numbers on long barreled rifles in the 3500 fps range. I have 2 buddies that have them…amazing!

I have a 338 AM on a repeater, I would not do a repeater again for this class rifle. I only shoot it single anyways because the rounds won't fit in the mag. They definitely won't fit when the 375 barrel gets to Kirby and I load it up with the 400 lazers

The difference is the 33XC can be built on almost any action a .338 Lapua can, the Cheytac needs a much larger action. The XC case is a smidge longer, but the Cheytac is a bit fatter and has 20+ more grains of case capacity. The Cheytac has the advantage as far as pure performance. I've seen a couple .408 and .375 Cheytac factory loaded options, but never seen a .338 Cheytac offering (none for the XC as well). These are best suited for loading your own. The Cheytac needs a larger press (like those capable of .50 BMG), where as I load my XC on a standard sized one (same and my .300 WinMag or .308). I would say that all things being equal, the Cheytac will be more costly and heavy as far as builds go. They can both be in a repeater action, though I thought my .375 Snipetac (Cheytac Improved) being a repeater was a waist of money.
A 37XC has the potential for larger and very high BC bullets than a .338, but as far as being better that depends on the intended purpose of the rifle. I'll say this, it takes on h@!! of a rifle/cartridge combo to beat out a .338 or .375 Allen Mag (basically an improved to the max Cheytac), especially for hunting. Run the numbers on a 300 grain .338 Berger going over 3400 fps! I've seen numbers on long barreled rifles in the 3500 fps range. I have 2 buddies that have them…amazing!
3425fps 300gn Berger OTM with no issue. I pushed it up to 3550 but trashed the brass when it was Bertram.

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpeg
    IMG_0437.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 35
Nice! Is that chambered in 33XC or 37XC? Is this rifle light enough for a hunting rifle to carry or strictly benchrest?
As long as you don't have far to carry it, it will be fine. I wouldn't want to walk miles with it, but no, it's not benchrest or I would have made it 10-15 pounds heavier. It's a 338 AM

As long as you don't have far to carry it, it will be fine. I wouldn't want to walk miles with it, but no, it's not benchrest or I would have made it 10-15 pounds heavier. It's a 338 AM
I took my 33XC to Wyoming and killed a cow at 785 Yards. The good news is that I didn't have to carry it too far (referring to the rifle, but guess it applies to the elk😂), we had some horses that packed most of the gear in to camp. Still, it is below 13 lbs (I believe 😬) and I watched the bullet impact the elk and drop her.