338 SnipeTac help

John-Pure Precision

LRH Sponsor
I am wanting to build one of these bad boys. I have a TAC408 action I will be using 1.45 shank size. What company's build blanks with this shank size? Looking to do 30" with 9.4 twist in a sendero contour. Thanks for any advice

There is not really a 1.450 blank in sendero contour. The 50 cal contours will be closer when your looking at something that size. If your looking at exactly 9.4 twist the cut rifle guys are probably the best chance. Bartlien made my snipetac barrel, krieger would also do it. I would call those two and just see who is running 338 first.

I think if you are going to build a 338 snipetac you should consider a faster twist rate if you are spending the money on a rifle chambered in this or any other cheytac derivative's. You can shoot jacketed bullets out of these rifles but I don't see the purpose in it in my experience. This rifles performance begins past 1000 yards and is the reasoning in having a faster twist rate barrel which will keep the RPM's up and your bullet more stable at the distances that it is purpose built for. Cutting Edge makes some well suited bullets for the 338 ST. Kirby Allen, David Vires, Bruce Baer and Joel Russo are some great resources and have years of experience on this cartridge. They have all ready gone down the rocky road of development, and have lots of helpful information. Contact Bartlein barrels for the size, contour, and twist you need. They mad the last one I had build, 1.4" for 6inches, then straight taper to 1.1 at 26" and a quick step taper to 30". All the best with your build.

OP - I'll assume you are talking 1.450 because your TAC408 is 1.450. I too like to have my barrels and actions/receivers blend well.

Virtually all the major barrel houses will provide a 1.450, you just need to tell them that is what you want. Sendero could be a "proportional" Sendero since the standard Sendero is 1.250. You'd need to tell them how you want them to translate since there is no actual "proportional" Sendero spec. Both McGowen and PAC-NOR have weight calculators that will help you set the dims that meet your need - see McGowen Precision Barrels – Barrel Weight Estimator and Barrel Weight Calculator - PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Precision Rifle Barrels - Pac-Nor.com

9.35-9.4 is pretty much the standard twist for 338 LM and 338 NM. Depending on what type of shooting you will be doing - and which projectiles you will be using - that may be fine or on the slow side. I'd spend some time looking at the projectile manufacturer's specs and see what they are calling for. They will typically say, "x.xx or faster" but not give you much help with application.

You may also find 30" is on the short side for this cartridge. Again, depending on your application. 32"-36" are common.

Thanks guys for all the useful advice on this on, I contacted proof research on building a 1.45 shank carbon barrel but they would not accommodate. Wanting a lighter version of these type rifles. I was going to widdel down the Tac408 as much as I can and staying safe and as stiff as possible and get as light of stock as possible. I want this to be a 2k yard hammer that can be maneuvered. I might be chasing unicorns and ferry tails but it is what i want.

TH - there are more wrapped barrel houses than Proof. Consider Christensen (CA CARBON BARREL - Christensen Arms) and Saturn (Home). You will need to call both as they have no or minimal data on their websites. They may be reluctant to consider a build that is in a SnipeTac cartridge.

Suffice it to say, I hope you have a very effective brake and recoil pad as you are going to need them.

BTW, IMHO, a terrible idea to consider hacking on a TAC408 action, an action which gets its strength from size and heat treating.

I was thinking of going with no brake with this build.... Of course I'm going to have a sufficient brake. I think there are better options then Christensen. Everybody has there opinion that's what makes this great! I know out here some place there is somebody that has done this exact same build.

Here is my 11.44 lb scoped 375 CT IMP.

It has a Bartlein 28" gain twist barrel, lightened Barnard P-Chey action & McMillan A3 Carbon stock, with an early T4 Terminator muzzle brake & VX 3 4.5-14 x 40 CDS side focus.

Recoil is brisk but very manageable with 325 CEBs going at 3375 fps.

It wasn't that hard to build light you just need to compromise on a few things like the Scope & barrel length, make sure you have a decent muzzle brake.

The 300 grain projectile will be easier to tame.

Now that is what I am talking about! that thing is light brother. I bet the recoil is pretty stout but like you said, compromise. If I can keep it under 15LBS scoped I would be happy as hell. Thanks for posting your build

Now that is what I am talking about! that thing is light brother. I bet the recoil is pretty stout but like you said, compromise. If I can keep it under 15LBS scoped I would be happy as hell. Thanks for posting your build

Recoils isn't too bad but I bet If I was brave enough to try my CEB 425 or 450s it would be a different story :rolleyes:

Bit of recoil footage here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.