.30 and .375 long range hunter build

Coercionist

Recently I have wanted a ballistic hot rod and was initially looking at the Cheytac case however after consideration I have decided that the level of power the Cheytac outputs is not required for my situation. I want my rifle, based on either 30-338 lapua imp or 300 norma imp, to have a switch barrel lug allowing for me to swap in between two barrels: one for matches and tager work out to 2000 yards with some elk and moose (heavy .30) and then another caliber, on the same case whether it be, Norma or Lapua, in 375 for large game (African plains game and big bear). I would go for the increased power of the lapua case but I am wanting to mag feed this rifle. From what I have read the norma imp 35* from a 30" barrel can push a 230gr berger at 3100 fps. Ive also seen that the lapua can push the same bullet at about 100 fps faster. This is appealing given that i want to use the 245 Berger and the 250 A-tip. But would I be able to use any DBM? I read that in 2016 Ryan pierce spoke of a 4" dbm to be made by Curtis custom however i cant find it. Any data on the improved .30 cal cases (norma or lapua) or data on the 375 version of either would be extremely helpful.

TLDR:
Need info on the differences between the 30-338 lapua imp and 300 norma imp. Also looking to neck up the case I end up using to 375 for big/dangerous game, so also data on those wildcats, especially the 375 norma imp because I have zero data on it.

If you are looking to maximize the potential of either cartridge I don't think you are going to be able to mag feed. If it doesn't much matter and are willing to shove the bullet way down into the case you might get away with it.

Having done the 30-338 LIMP and 338 LIMP a lot and they are fricken sweet.. they run pretty hard
I run them through a wyatts 4.00 and they feed great

the Norma IMP will run basically like a RUM sized case.. so what ever a 375 RUM does is what i would expect from a 375-338 norma iMP

he Norma IMP will run basically like a RUM sized case.. so what ever a 375 RUM does is what i would expect from a 375-338 norma iMP
I have the same feeling, there is another thread guys getting 2850 ish from 375 rum with the 390gr A-tips.
I have a barrel for a 375 RUM improved. (40* shoulder pushed forward)

Jesus, that is faster than I was expecting. Given the information and assuming that this person in question is running around a 30 inch barrel I could possibly push the 330 grain cutting edge around 2950 fps since they were pushing a 60 grain heavier bullet only 100 ft./s slower.

If you are looking to maximize the potential of either cartridge I don't think you are going to be able to mag feed. If it doesn't much matter and are willing to shove the bullet way down into the case you might get away with it.
With the .30 cal I shouldn't have to cram much of the bullet into the case since people can get away with the 338 lapua and 300 grainers in a magazine. I'm basically just looking to push the 250 a tip around 3000-3100 ft./s and am wondering if the Norma improved case is capable of doing this

I have two 338 LAI's, one is my primary hunting rifle.

I took on a similar project to yours about a year ago. I decided on a 375 LAI. I had it throated very long to accommodate 350 gr. Cutting Edge lazers. Due to the OAL the lazers will not be mag friendly- but should generate 2900 fps. Rifle will weigh right at 11.0 to 11.5 lbs with scope (Leupold MK5) and bipod (Neopod) included

The plan is to single feed the lazers for long range work and then shoot something like a 300 gr. Barnes TSX from the mag for sub 3 or 400 yard stuff. Will run the Barnes at the same velocity as the Lazers and hope for same-ish impact at 100 yards (we will see)

I had Short Action Customs build the rifle, it is all but complete. I should get my fingerprints on it within a few weeks. I already have dies, bullets, powder and primers. I am really looking forward to what I argue will be one of the most versital rifles possible. I already have a trip to Africa booked for September of 2023.

I have two 338 LAI's, one is my primary hunting rifle.

I took on a similar project to yours about a year ago. I decided on a 375 LAI. I had it throated very long to accommodate 350 gr. Cutting Edge lazers. Due to the OAL the lazers will not be mag friendly- but should generate 2900 fps. Rifle will weigh right at 11.0 to 11.5 lbs with scope (Leupold MK5) and bipod (Neopod) included

The plan is to single feed the lazers for long range work and then shoot something like a 300 gr. Barnes TSX from the mag for sub 3 or 400 yard stuff. Will run the Barnes at the same velocity as the Lazers and hope for same-ish impact at 100 yards (we will see)

I had Short Action Customs build the rifle, it is all but complete. I should get my fingerprints on it within a few weeks. I already have dies, bullets, powder and primers. I am really looking forward to what I argue will be one of the most versital rifles possible. I already have a trip to Africa booked for September of 2023.
That sure sounds like a cool set up, and congrats on the upcoming trip. Hopefully that rifle will get but to good use. Ive just looked into another thread on how some made a 375 RUM AI and was getting good velocity with what looked like the 329gr Hammer all out of a 3.850" mag. Im hoping to seat a 325gr laser to mag length, out of the shorter norma case I think this is somewhat reasonable, wouldn't you think?

That sure sounds like a cool set up, and congrats on the upcoming trip. Hopefully that rifle will get but to good use. Ive just looked into another thread on how some made a 375 RUM AI and was getting good velocity with what looked like the 329gr Hammer all out of a 3.850" mag. Im hoping to seat a 325gr laser to mag length, out of the shorter norma case I think this is somewhat reasonable, wouldn't you think?
100%

IMO if someone wants to run mag length friendly OAL's then the Norma case is the obvious choice.

My buddy has a 30" 375 Rum 1/10 twist and is pushing the 329 gr Hammers @ 3000 ft.per.sec and has sent them out to 1000 yards with great results. No kills yet with it . We were going to try a Montana Spring bear hunt but I'm busy with my Kids new House build .
I can get more info for you if the 375 Rum gets you excited .

Thinking about this more now I believe he had the 395 gr Hammers at 2700 ft.per.sec + or so but would have to ask him .

Rum Man

Last edited:
I'm running a Norma Imp in a 28 inch 9.5twist and able to get 3200 out of the 230 hybrid @ sea level. Well its a warm load it shoots .5 all day.
I prefer the 225eldm at 3170ish as it has been a flawless performer on game out to 1400yds.
It mag feeds perfect in all 3 of my rifles with plenty of room to spare.
N570 is my go to for this cartridge.
I had a Warbird that would shoot similar speeds but burned more powder to do it and had to single feed it.
I looked at the 30-338L as well but didnt figure it would mag feed the heavies. But I do think with a 30+ tube the bigger case could give you more speed because you can run slower powders in the longer tube but for sure would need to single feed or the advantage would be negated.

I'm running a Norma Imp in a 28 inch 9.5twist and able to get 3200 out of the 230 hybrid @ sea level. Well its a warm load it shoots .5 all day.
I prefer the 225eldm at 3170ish as it has been a flawless performer on game out to 1400yds.
It mag feeds perfect in all 3 of my rifles with plenty of room to spare.
N570 is my go to for this cartridge.
I had a Warbird that would shoot similar speeds but burned more powder to do it and had to single feed it.
I looked at the 30-338L as well but didnt figure it would mag feed the heavies. But I do think with a 30+ tube the bigger case could give you more speed because you can run slower powders in the longer tube but for sure would need to single feed or the advantage would be negated.
That's exactly what I needed thank you for the information. It sure does look like a norma improved is what I want

30987B47-82C1-4777-9B70-073CDFE1B26B.png
Just and example
25.5 lbs
375 Snipetac - a 375 Cheytac improved by Dave Viers
with the right bullets capable of 3520 yards accurately - good enough to make the top 10 at the KO2M
kicks like a 20 gauge shotgun
Brass, powder and primers not bad for Hunting - Bullets for game - SMKs, Cutting Edge or Badlands

otherwise I would look at a simple 300 Norma