Long range .30 Caliber Build Discussion

Buran

I've been deciding on a .30 caliber longer range gun for a bit of time now. By long range I mean around 2000 yards. Currently my choices are between .300Win, .300PRC and a modified .30 Nosler. I already have the action I plan to use so .300 Norma is off the table for me.

After talking to a local builder and some local shooters I am skewing towards the modified .30 Nosler. There are a couple of reasons. The way the building is done the round becomes optimized for the 215 berger hybrid target. If loaded properly 3100fps is relatively achievable. With the a OAL shorter than the .300win, .30 nosler allows for more play with bullet seating in standard long action magazines (3.700"). Last upside is i have a metric buttload of standard long action mags. If I didn't I would be considering .300 prc a bit more seriously. But as far as i can tell nosler and prc are very comparable.

Anyone have any experience with .30 Nosler JP or have any experience on the .30 Nosler vs other .30 calibers for longer ranges debate chime in.

I guess everyone has decided that you have already made up your mind or they agree with your choices, curtailing the conversation.

I read it the same way for the most part, your decisions are made so you need to get the building started, while preparing for load development.

But, should we assume that the 2,000 yard goal is for targets only?
The way the building is done the round becomes optimized for the 215 berger hybrid target.

Any chamber can be 'optimized' for one particular bullet, it's done frequently. However, what if your platform, the barrel in particular, does not perform well with the bullet you've chosen?

the modified .30 Nosler
I'm (maybe we) am/are not sure what this term means. I've modifies lots of cartridge cases using various techniques. What do you mean?

If loaded properly 3100fps is relatively achievable.

What if your optimization doesn't work well at the 3,100 fps and the node is actually slower? You're close to trans-sonic and high on the pressure.

Now, if you really want an opinion;), I'd sell your current action and buy a Pierce, BAT, Stiller or Kelbly action which will accept the .300 Norma Mag.or the .30-338 Lapua Improved... Magazine feed at ELR distances rarely means anything. Single shot actions usually rule the world. That is unless you're harboring thoughts about taking this into the field for a little hunting?

Just some thoughts and an opinion.

:)

But, should we assume that the 2,000 yard goal is for targets only?
2000 yards for target and within 1000 for hunting ideally.

I'm (maybe we) am/are not sure what this term means. I've modifies lots of cartridge cases using various techniques. What do you mean?
Truth be told im not too sure myself, the way I understood it the chamber neck gets milled a bit longer to accommodate the longer bullet and still have plenty of room for playing around with the jump
I'd sell your current action and buy a Pierce, BAT, Stiller or Kelbly action which will accept the .300 Norma Mag.or the .30-338 Lapua Improved...
Now that might actually be not a bad idea, .300 norma does look very appealing
Thanks for the reply, ill see what i can do on the last part

Ive done several 30 noslers and three norma ai now. The norma just doesnt impress me much. Ive only had one nosler shoot slow and im sure it was the omr barrel. The rest have shot 205-208and 215 extremely well at and above 3100 fps. Saami reamer.

Have you tried 230 Bergers in your 30 Nosler? If so, what powder did you use and what velocity did you attain?

I have had or have all three of your choices (30 nos, 300 prc, 300 wm). I don't think there is really a wrong choice. I do think 3100 out of a 30 nos may be expecting a little much. Some barrels may do it and some may not. Mine wouldn't even come close and it was throated for the 215. Great accuracy and easy to load for just wasn't a fast barrel by any means. My current 300 prc is faster then it was. So I wouldn't bank on getting 3100. N570 is your best bet if your really wanting that speed but it's pretty rough on throats.

300 wm is never a bad choice, just don't expect to get the velocity that a lot of guys claim. 2860-2920 ish with a 215 (26") is more realistic if you want your brass to last.

One big advantage of the 30 nos is ADG brass has been easy to find vs 300 prc. And no clickers like the 300 PRC seems to have issues with.

300 Norma (standard) doesn't really impress me from what I have seen, the AI version is certainly a step up though.

If I was consistently shooting at 2000 yards I think I would probably step up to a .338 of some variety. Spotting splash at 2000 yards with any 30 cal can be tough at least for me depending on conditions.

If your made up on 30 I agree with the 30 nosler choice.
I haven't got their with mine but after buying it I realized the potential and for case size you can't beat its efficiency for long range.
I'm close to 3100 with 196 hammers but 26" barrel that isn't broken in with 8133 as a long range hunting rifle.
Went 338-378 for your application. With rcc brass(338-378 weak point is brass) should be able get the cartridge potential

.300 norma does look very appealing
Thanks for the reply, ill see what i can do on the last part
I am a big fan of the .300 WM (I have 3 of them), and it remains my go-to chambering, but the .300 NM is a bad arse, esp. when improved. @Mike from Texas is building a .300 NMI. I am currently building a .338 NMI with my own custom-designed reamer built by Manson and will be propelling the Berger 250 EH (.685/.351)/300 OTM (.822/.421), SB2s 250(.800/.410)/275(.880/.451), etc. Good luck with your project build.

Last edited: