338 or 375 EnABELR or alternative cartridge for ELR hunting

Cutting Edge Lazers are expanding bullets, The A-tips have also proved to work well for hunting. Badlands has their SBD II, IIRC Hammer has an option also but BC isn't there. Maybe if a guy contacted them they'd make something sleeker.

Do you have a barrel length restriction? 338 Edge with a 32" barrel get you about 3k with a 300gr.
These guys running 375 RUM with 390gr A-tips up to about 2850

I had a custom reamer and dies made for a 375 RUM Gibbs. That I am hoping to get 2900 or better from the 390 Gr A-tips but it'll be a dedicated ELR rifle. I have the barrel ready to go on but I am waiting until after Nightforce ELR to play with it.

33XC or 37XC also be good options on a Lapua Bolt face.

I also think a 338 Sherman Mag should be able to get really close to 3k with a 32" barrel.

338/375 EnABELR are both good options just thought I'd throw some other options for you to research since you asked.
I have a rifle with a 30" barrel. That's a lot to pack around. ;) Now if got somebody else to pack for you that's a different story. 😇

Do you know a source for 416 Rigby-sized basic brass?
A one word answer would be no.
But then i dont own a gun using those cases either.
My brother in law does however, and ive shot his gun numerous times.
His velocity is about 100 fps faster than my sons 338x378, both built by Bruce Baer.
His barrel is 6" longer however, and that no doubt makes a difference.
There is no comparison between the case size of those cartridges and the Big Baer case, which is Baers version of the Cheytec.
He furnishes the cases for both the Rigby and the Big Baer, but other than from him i would have no other source.
Of coarse the 378 Wetherby cases are available where ever.
For about 25 years i used a 36" barreled 30x378.
And frankly if i had my time to do over i still would be.
My barrel was never a really good one, and it got to where i wanted to replace it. And at the time it seemed logical to me to go to the 338 Big Baer.
There is no doubt that the 338 is a better choice for the longer distances of say beyond 1500 yards.
But them how many animals are shot beyond 1500 yards?
How many days during a season are the conditions such that we can we even hunt at those kind of distances? Especially in places like PA.
So fact is that we live in a dream world for the most part as for hunting.
But, if you want to shoot at say steel targets at the longer distances then the large 338s would be a good choice.
And by large, i mean large, and not one that sends a 300 gr less than about 3000 fps.
Sit behind them looking thru good tripod mounted optics as they are being shot, and what you will see will need no explanation.
It would be best to talk directly to those who build them, and not just be listening to people like me on sites like this.
Id highly recommend you talk with Bruce Baer, also Kevin Cram at Montour Rifles and get their opinions.

Personally I think in very simple terms. Pick the bullet you want, find the case that drives the bullet to the speed you desire, then build a rifle around that. Obviously the faster you drive it, the further you can effectively shoot. So I would assess your recoil and financial tolerance and pick the right tool for the job. I think the 338 flavor traveling 2900-3100 fps is a very happy place all things considered. A lapua AI, terminator, XC, EnAbler, Sherman could all fit this bill.
Couldn't have said it better. Pick the bullet, then go from there.

I'm going to order a 40" barrel just so I can show up all the people who thing long things are hard to handle 🤣
That remind me of a joke. This gal was looking at this guy. Ask some question. How tall are you. 6'-4", How wide are you at the shoulders. 56", How big around at the wast. 32", How are you hung. 2" of lord. Then she got to thinking how do you measure that. From the floor.

Baer has a two year wait list.......at least.
Well mention my name, and it will probably take even longer. lol
But i think you will find that all the good ones are busy.
I'm going to order a 40" barrel just so I can show up all the people who thing long things are hard to handle 🤣
Another thing to consider with the larger Cheytec type cases is that the barrel diameter will be bigger, adding more weight.
So forget about carrying them very far.
My barrel is 1"350 for the full 34" plus the muzzel brake, and it also has about a 10# steel bedding block attached to it.

Another thing to consider with the larger Cheytec type cases is that the barrel diameter will be bigger, adding more weight.
My barrel is 1"350 for the full 34" plus the muzzel brake, and it also has about a 10# steel bedding block attached to it.
I think that a little light! Need to add a couple more pounds.

post a picture

Been there, done that. I have a 34", but no straight shanks larger than a 1.250". No need for bigger in a 6mm 😂

But after three calls and rooting through several websites I can't find anyone willing/able to make a 40". 36" seems to be the max for everyone right now. If you know of a barrel maker that can make a 40" shout them out and I'll call them.