300 rum loads?

Your loads are likely a bit hot then. I'm still shooting a couple of bags of rp brass from '05 that has shot out a 7rum barrel and has just about gotten done with a 300rum barrel. I've got better/new brass, but why use it all up when the old stuff is still going.

My nosler stuff is good too, but I've only got a couple of dozen nos casings so I'll likely stay with rp for a good while...

Same here I have 7 or more firings thru rp 300 rum brass. Primer pockets loosen up but still hold fine. I am probably boardline pushing it on # of firings but why not get as much use as you can with the shortage of brass?

CPG 300 RUM 26" Brux with side discharge brake.
Remington brass 3.060 off comparator
97.5 H1000 shows psi signs with smiley on case rim.
3407 fps. Shoots .300 groups consistently.

Same gun with 215 Berger load.
3.035 off comparator
92.0 Grains H1000 no psi
shoots .300 groups consistently
3110 to 3125 fps.

230 Berger Load
3.030 off comparator
89.7 Grains Retumbo No psi
shoots .300 groups consistently
3000 - 3015 fps.

This gun has been the easiest to load for. No matter what load I put in it seems to flat out shoot! Pretty good for a hunting rifle. I have a few other customs that dont shoot near as good as the 300 RUM.gun)

Whoops had to edit my 215 load. I was running 90 grains when bullet was near lands. I pushed in for a 3.825 wyatts box clearance and had to bump to 92 grains to get psi and speed back. Just realized this while chrono my eldx loads today lol.

I have some Remington brass on it's seventh loading. When I started loading the .300 RUM 16 years ago, that's all that was available. I've stuck with it as I have never had an issue. And I don't have to fireform it to increase case capacity. mtmuley

Well arent you special then!

Same here I have 7 or more firings thru rp 300 rum brass. Primer pockets loosen up but still hold fine. I am probably boardline pushing it on # of firings but why not get as much use as you can with the shortage of brass?

Cause the load that I have is the one that gave me the best results in my ladder testing, as well as SD and ES. My primers after shooting a reload.
20160214_200246.jpg

Nope, not special. But I can tell you are. mtmuley

I apologize man I shouldnt have posted that. I just felt like you were taking a jab at me and I wasnt the better person. You made your point and I understand but maybe you can shed some light on why one cannot put their rem brass load in a nosler case until it has been fired 1 or 2 times? I can guarantee once nosler brass is fire formed it will hold loads in 270 7mag 300 rum just fine. I guess I do not understand how you say case size will not increase once it is fire formed? When a stick of 7mm brass measures 2.100 and it fire forms the should gets pushed out. How does this not increase the case fill? It works fine in my loads after the shoulder is popped out to chamber and after I push the shoulder back 1 or 2 thousands.

I apologize also. As far as your load differentiation, I have no idea. To me, it doesn't seem possible Nosler brass can increase in case capacity just by being fired. At least not significantly. In case I missed it, what are the powder charges that give pressure in the Nosler brass, but not Remington? Same bullet and COL? Then 2 firings of the Nosler and charges can be increased with no pressure signs? Trying to understand. I don't mind learning when I can. mtmuley

I apologize also. As far as your load differentiation, I have no idea. To me, it doesn't seem possible Nosler brass can increase in case capacity just by being fired. At least not significantly. In case I missed it, what are the powder charges that give pressure in the Nosler brass, but not Remington? Same bullet and COL? Then 2 firings of the Nosler and charges can be increased with no pressure signs? Trying to understand. I don't mind learning when I can. mtmuley

I will try and cc new rp cases and measure the shoulders as well as fired cases. I will do the same with the nosler brass and see what it comes out to internally? I guess I dont know other than it seems to work fine with my rem established loads once or twice fired. Same gere man I am here to learn and share info so sorry for being a jackass earlier lol.

Here is what I came up with. Test brass was winchester fired and new and Nosler fired and new both in 7mm.

Win brass weight 236 grains.
Nosler Brass weight 236.4 grains.

Water weight win new 83.5
Water weight nosler new 81.5

Water weight win fired 86.0
Water weight nosler fired 86.0

Definitely increasing case capacity fire formed.

Lrt307,

Did you measure the OAL of the cases after fire forming to see if the brass flowed forward? This could account for the case dimensions changing if the brass flows towards the neck and evens out the volume. On other cases, when the pressure is high in the loaded cartridge brass flowing towards the neck is what makes the case grow in length. If the case grows in length, it had to come from somewhere.

To the OP, my 300 rum load: 215 Berger, 93 grs Retumbo,CCI 250, Rem brass, 3.670 OAL, 3070 fps per magneto speed, this load fits into a standard remington magazine.

Lrt307,

Did you measure the OAL of the cases after fire forming to see if the brass flowed forward? This could account for the case dimensions changing if the brass flows towards the neck and evens out the volume. On other cases, when the pressure is high in the loaded cartridge brass flowing towards the neck is what makes the case grow in length. If the case grows in length, it had to come from somewhere.

To the OP, my 300 rum load: 215 Berger, 93 grs Retumbo,CCI 250, Rem brass, 3.670 OAL, 3070 fps per magneto speed, this load fits into a standard remington magazine.
Yes shoulders move forward to match chamber dimensions.

Trued Rem 700 LA 300 RUM 28" PAC-NOR .338" Neck.

Nosler Brass 2.840" trim .334" necks loaded
HbN coated 240 SMK
+7 on mic for kissing lands ≈3.662" OAL
GM215M

92.0 grains H50BMG
2908fps SD3

Shoots .25MOA out to 500 yards so far. Need to stretch her out when I get the chance. I have some testing to do with some 212 ELD-X's and some R33 when I get the time.

Reuben

Last edited:
I will try and cc new rp cases and measure the shoulders as well as fired cases. I will do the same with the nosler brass and see what it comes out to internally? I guess I dont know other than it seems to work fine with my rem established loads once or twice fired. Same gere man I am here to learn and share info so sorry for being a jackass earlier lol.

What is the cc you said something about?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.