300 rum loads?

After 1 or 2 firings you will be back to your typical remington load is what I have found.

After the case expands to chamber dimensions you can load up the same way your rem cases are loaded.

Nosler brass works fine in all calibers I have used them. After 2 firings I can use the same load I use in remington brass comprenda?

No comprenda. So you are saying that Nosler brass "forms" to a chamber to become the size of Remington brass? You are increasing case capacity by firing the brass? mtmuley

from what I've seen the nos brass is a bit thicker... tossed one of my nos 300rum on my scale... 285 grains... a rem at the same case length is 15 grains lighter at 270 grains... more brass weight typically means less internal volume and higher pressure at a given powder charge...

from what I've seen the nos brass is a bit thicker... tossed one of my nos 300rum on my scale... 285 grains... a rem at the same case length is 15 grains lighter at 270 grains... more brass weight typically means less internal volume and higher pressure at a given powder charge...
Knew that. What I'm saying is you can't fireform brass of one manufacturer into the larger capacity of another. The outside dimensions do not change enough. Maybe I'm wrong or am misunderstanding what Lrt307 means. mtmuley

Think of it this way. A stick of 7mm brass measures 2.100 new. Once fire formed they will match whatever the chamber dimension is. Say 2.120. Measure the datum line with comparator and it's easy to see. Think of a small block Chevy engine with a 64 cc combustion chamber. Holds less space than a 76cc and creates more psi. Same scenario with brass that has not been fire formed. I have shot 270 7mag and 300 rum with Nosler brass and don't care for the fact you can't use your Remington or Winchester brass loads until you fire form Nosler brass. Once that happens it seems to work fine for me. I have learned the hard way trying to put my Remington and Winchester brass loads in Nosler right off the bat and it will blow the primer pockets out amongst other things.

Knew that. What I'm saying is you can't fireform brass of one manufacturer into the larger capacity of another. The outside dimensions do not change enough. Maybe I'm wrong or am misunderstanding what Lrt307 means. mtmuley

This is absolutely correct that the heavier brass stores its weight in the case walls. It is also correct that dimension or combustion chamber area will increase as the shoulder of the case moves out to chamber dimension. Will it have the same dimension as rem or win probably not exact but they have worked fine for me.

Think of it this way. A stick of 7mm brass measures 2.100 new. Once fire formed they will match whatever the chamber dimension is. Say 2.120. Measure the datum line with comparator and it's easy to see. Think of a small block Chevy engine with a 64 cc combustion chamber. Holds less space than a 76cc and creates more psi. Same scenario with brass that has not been fire formed. I have shot 270 7mag and 300 rum with Nosler brass and don't care for the fact you can't use your Remington or Winchester brass loads until you fire form Nosler brass. Once that happens it seems to work fine for me. I have learned the hard way trying to put my Remington and Winchester brass loads in Nosler right off the bat and it will blow the primer pockets out amongst other things.

your nosler brass still weighs 5% more... the needed powder charge will drop by a percent or two to get the same pressures... think of it somewhat like mil. brass vs. regular... mil brass (or is this case nosler) weighs a bit more and has less volume, whether fireformed or not... 60Kpsi will blow the walls out no matter what, so fireformed really doesn't matter here...

Not trying to start an argument about .1 %. All that I am saying is that Nosler Brass will take my remington loads and shoot just as well after they have been fired. I know the area will be slightly tighter but kind of a nill affect from what I have seen after Nosler brass has been shot 1 or 2 times.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.