30-06 that could

For you guys shooting rl23, rl26, and staball in your '06, are you using magnum primers? Being able to stick with regular LR primers has always been an additional plus for me in the '06
I use magnum primers in my 30-06 primarily because I got tired of switching back and forth between standard and magnum primers.After getting good results,I now use them in my 308 Win too.So now I just buy WLRM or Fed Match Magnum primers.Both those work great in all my rifles,magnum or standard chamberings.

This was me today off my deck. It's a hoot. I love living in the mountains.
Yeah can't beat it, problem is all the kens and karens are moving out of the cities into the foothills and backcountry now. My neighbor was shooting behind his cabin the other day and the sheriff showed up. He said if he plans to do any more shooting to call their office in advance so they can explain when the calls start coming in. Montana might be different but that's Colorado now.

I use magnum primers in my 30-06 primarily because I got tired of switching back and forth between standard and magnum primers.After getting good results,I now use them in my 308 Win too.So now I just buy WLRM or Fed Match Magnum primers.Both those work great in all my rifles,magnum or standard chamberings.
I use WLRM in my 30-06, the results have been excellent. I did this by accident though but couldn't be happier with the load.
I wrote the wrong primers on the target.
4D7B7AFC-9FBF-412E-B676-195E149D41BA.jpeg

Haha rediscovered this thread and it reminded me of all the old guys from church when I was in college just sighing and shaking their heads at me (in a "oh good grief what's gotten into the young lad's head now?" sort of way) when I told them I got a .300 win mag. They thought that was totally ridiculous and overkill for anything on this continent. They asked if there was even anything left of a deer if i shot it with "that blasted cannon" of mine 🤣. Asked "son what on earth do you need that kind of firepower for anyway?"

The funny thing was, all those guys shot .30-06 for the most part (a few .308s, .303 British, and .30-30s in the mix - you could have any caliber you wanted so long as it was .30 caliber 🤣)

I don't think they realized at all just how little the difference in performance there is between their .30-06 "sensible hunting rifles" and my .300 win mag "ridiculous cannon". But I was content not to correct that. First off, never a good idea to disagree with the verdict pronounced by old guys in church haha. Second of all, I really wanted to believe I DID have a cannon and was content to let them believe it at least 😁. But that .30-06, especially with modern powders, is a beast that while very common and respected isn't recognized for what it really is capable of at all.

The way I described it once, the .30-06 is fries, the .300 win mag is fries with gravy! I would never pass up either of those but if i can have gravy with them I will, just my preference.

I can't remember how many elk I killed with my old 30-06 but I think it was 9.Then someone said,your crazy,you need a magnum to kill elk with and I had one incident where I feel a little more horse power would have helped so I got into the 300 win mag game.Still have the 30-06 and use it from time to time.It's like a great old friend.