6 mil plinkers that could

I picked up a 6mm Dasher last year and have been spoiled by it. It seems to shoot everything well and the best rounds excellent. I was shooting .22lr shells off my target at 100 yards this weekend with 115DTACs. My rifle uses the Zermatt Origin action and feeds 100% with just a standard Magpul ASICS magazine.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 6br family of cartridges (6br, 6bra, 6 dasher, etc). I would look at what weight bullets you want to shoot and what distances you actually shoot. 6br does a little better with lighter 70gr to 90gr bullets. If you are shooting over 100gr bullets and 1k+ you might want to consider the 6bra or 6 dasher. My 7.5 twist dasher still shoots 70gr TNT well enough that 400 yard PDog hits are not very challenging

No matter which way you go, you will be happy you added a 6mm to your collection as they are probably your best round for under 1k target shooting. Extreme accuracy, reasonable barrel life, and on the lower cost side of reloading. If there is any fault, it might be that it is hard to find factory ammo at any local gun range.

I have a 6 PPC for bench rest. I love it. Easy to reload for, brass lasts forever, and I've shot one-hole groups at 200 yards. What's not to like?

It does use a different size bolt face (parent case is .220 Russian), and I had to turn case necks after fire-forming cases, but other than that, it's a dream to shoot.

I have considered getting a lighter rifle made for the cartridge.

i did a 6 br the smallest groop i have ben able to get so far is about 1 1/4 at 300 yds not sure if that will be good enough for that 5 shot egg challenge or not

I've been intrigued by the 6x47 and 6cm for a bit now. Probably won't ever actually own one as I have other plans for my limited gun funds but from what I've seen they do everything my boring old .243 does with longer case life due to less stretch/growth on account of more modern geometry and with less powder, more efficiency, better barrel life, and while any cartridge can be made to shoot accurately it certainly seems that 6mms in general are some kind of sweet spot and these sharp shouldered ones of lower than .243 case capacity are just freakishly conducive to extreme accuracy. I'm not as familiar with the other 6mms but do know that the PPC while a bench rest champ has a different bolt face (same as .220 Russian or 7.62x39) AND as you mention things like ease of extraction and whatnot it must be stated that that round is not really ideal for repeaters in general (or so I have read, do verify with your own findings and people that actually have done it for sure :) )

I have neck dies and inline seaters for pretty much everything I load for. Mainly because I have an AMP Press and it requires use of that type of seating die, but they also make great loads in general.

But one benefit is you can get the dies cut with the chamber reamer used on your barrel and they'll match very closely, much more than any generic or honed die.

K+M makes a great arbor press with a gauge for seating pressure. Harrell's makes a two-sided combo press that can run in-line and threaded dies if you want to reload on the shooting bench at the range.

I pre-measure out charges into little plastic or glass tubes I bought off the internet and carry an RCB Shand priming tool. This is how I do things like shoot the same case until failure, find out how many shots it takes to actually need to bump shoulders, or shoot the same small batch of cases more frequently.

Last edited:
Shameless plug for K+M, I'm not affiliated in any way but they make top notch tooling. The case is great, packs it all into one little package that goes to the range with me.

Also LE Wilson makes great seating dies, but to get their best ones you have to go through Brownells for the ball-detent micro-adjust seater. Perfect for seating a batch long at home, then running seating depth tests at the range. So accurate you don't even need to use a comparator to check adjustments - treat it like a Harrell's powder measure and trust the clicks. Once it's set it stays there and will seat very consistently. When they say don't take it apart they really mean it, there are FIVE detent balls that give the 0.001" adjustments, and might have spent 20 minutes looking for a spring under my reloading bench when I decided to check to see what the insides looked like 🤣

I think the ppc's have a .440-.442" bolt face?
I know the case head is .440", but I'm not sure if you absolutely have to run the smaller bolt face or if it works in a .473". I think Borden, Kelblys, maybe also BAT have a PPC/308 bolt face that work with both. So PPC might not require an extra bolt even with the smaller casehead diameter.

Recent Posts