6 mil plinkers that could

ARlife4me

Out of the small 6 mil cartridges which 1's are the better choice............for a just for fun bang? 6 dasher, 6pp? and other similar cartridges? Is there 1 that performs better as in ejects better due to head design and extractor groove? The dasher has the highest max pressure, but is that an advantage? Is 1 over the other have better case life?

From what I have seen on our short course F-class line up, the 2 that stand out are the Dasher and the 6x47. I have 2 6.5x47's and I understand the quirks of the Lapua case very well, I would say the same rings true of the Dasher case. Both are very accurate and that is all important. Don't really see the PPC much, but it is also excellent.
Sizing dies are also very important with these cases, inline types work best but are expensive.

Cheers.

From what I have seen on our short course F-class line up, the 2 that stand out are the Dasher and the 6x47. I have 2 6.5x47's and I understand the quirks of the Lapua case very well, I would say the same rings true of the Dasher case. Both are very accurate and that is all important. Don't really see the PPC much, but it is also excellent.
Sizing dies are also very important with these cases, inline types work best but are expensive.

Cheers.
I'm not familiar with "inline" dies? What are those?

I am working on load development for a 6GT w. 107 SMKs right now. Can't seem to get anything to shoot....over .5MOA.

I have my lighter load at 2977fps ready to test primers this morning (Have another node at 3020-3060fps) Charge weight shot .3s. Then seating depth beought it down into the low .2s, even in the AZ mirage and wind. ES was 11 @ charge weight and all seatin depths were between 2 and 11 ES again.

Only one I have experience with is the 6 Dasher. I really enjoy shooting mine. I've ran the 103 eldx, 105 vldh and just ordered some 75 HHT to try. I haven't been overly happy with the Hornady or the Berger. Hornady has been very explosive and the Berger has needed follow up shots on whitetail. Both bullets shoot very good though.

I'll see how the 75 HHT does on game. If it is ok then I'll use the 105 Berger to practice with on steel.

6 Dasher is great, Alpha and Peterson brass make it the easy button. I'll always have an affinity for the 6BR though.

Seems like the PPCs have a different bolt face. They definately have a different case head, but I can't remember if they can be run in the standard 308 or not. Pretty much all bolts exist now anyways, but it's an added expense if you haven't previously run the PPC. I've been beat by them many times though.

I went Dasher because I had a 308 BF short action that was doing nothing that needed a barrel, and my benchrest action was a 6BR previously. Bought 2k pieces of brass and never looked back.

Is there 1 that performs better as in ejects better due to head design and extractor groove?
6BR, BRA, BRX, and Dasher are all the same case. I've never seen anyone have issues running any of them, PRS or benchrest. Shoulder angles, extraction, none of that matters other than putting a block in 308 AICS mages so that they feed correctly.

The dasher has the highest max pressure, but is that an advantage?
If you want to try to load it hot and squeeze out every FPS maybe, but normally I'm happy with a slower node. In the neighborhood of 2.8k with a 100+gn bullet does everything I want a 6mm to do. If I need 3200+ 243 AI exists.

Is 1 over the other have better case life?
Lower pressure loads will last forever, 30+ firings on bench rifles with a good sizing plan.

Last edited:
6 Dasher is great, Alpha and Peterson brass make it the easy button. I'll always have an affinity for the 6BR though.

Seems like the PPCs have a different bolt face. They definately have a different case head, but I can't remember if they can be run in the standard 308 or not. Pretty much all bolts exist now anyways, but it's an added expense if you haven't previously run the PPC. I've been beat by them many times though.

I went Dasher because I had a 308 BF short action that was doing nothing that needed a barrel, and my benchrest action was a 6BR previously. Bought 2k pieces of brass and never looked back.

6BR, BRA, BRX, and Dasher are all the same case. I've never seen anyone have issues running any of them, PRS or benchrest. Shoulder angles, extraction, none of that matters other than putting a block in 308 AICS mages so that they feed correctly.

If you want to try to load it hot and squeeze out every FPS maybe, but normally I'm happy with a slower node. In the neighborhood of 2.8k with a 100+gn bullet does everything I want a 6mm to do. If I need 3200+ 243 AI exists.

Lower pressure loads will last forever, 30+ firings on bench rifles with a good sizing plan.
I think the ppc's have a .440-.442" bolt face?

Recent Posts