It could always be worse...

R_Swanson

Obviously it sucks sourcing things right now, and I've seen a lot of threads about it recently.

Well, instead of being p*ssed about adding to your stockpile at inflated prices, you could be a guy that has shot his whole life but never reloaded, and after doing some research back in 2019 you decided the 7SAUM was the bees knees and going to be your next elk gun, but that meant you needed to start reloading... well you didnt have any elk hunts that year, so you put it off because life was getting in the way.

Then covid hit...

2 years later you decided you can only wait so d*mn long, and you needed to build the gun and start reloading for it. So you wade into the hell-hole that is the current reloading market and start trying to source stuff. :D

This post is meant in jest - but seriously - it could always be worse. You could have no reloading supplies and your goal is to reload for a round apparently every other red-blooded American that reloads loves as well.

Here is one for you.
My brother lives a few hours away so he had a reloading setup and I always just bought what I needed and when I went down we reloaded. He then moved to Texas 19 hours away. So I'm spring of 2020 same time he moved I started a new house. Went over 20k over budget on materials n top of that I had to start from scratch and do my entire reloading setup from scratch in 21. And let's just say I don't have a bare minimum setup. So I'm that guy.

Obviously it sucks sourcing things right now, and I've seen a lot of threads about it recently.

Well, instead of being p*ssed about adding to your stockpile at inflated prices, you could be a guy that has shot his whole life but never reloaded, and after doing some research back in 2019 you decided the 7SAUM was the bees knees and going to be your next elk gun, but that meant you needed to start reloading... well you didnt have any elk hunts that year, so you put it off because life was getting in the way.

Then covid hit...

2 years later you decided you can only wait so d*mn long, and you needed to build the gun and start reloading for it. So you wade into the hell-hole that is the current reloading market and start trying to source stuff. :D

This post is meant in jest - but seriously - it could always be worse. You could have no reloading supplies and your goal is to reload for a round apparently every other red-blooded American that reloads loves as well.
I did something really similar. I had switched to 270 wsm about 2018 without getting into reloading. Factory ammo was scarce, but you could generally find a few boxes at most larger retailers. Come hunting time for 2020 and I could still find some ammo, since the really common calibers went first. I scooped up 3 boxes and hoped it would be better by the next year. It wasn't. Now I've been sucked into reloading at the worst time to get into reloading. Fortunately its a bolt hunting gun, so I'm not guzzling components like my friend who has a bunch of ARs. Unfortunately this stupid expensive hobby isn't going away any time soon.

Here is one for you.
My brother lives a few hours away so he had a reloading setup and I always just bought what I needed and when I went down we reloaded. He then moved to Texas 19 hours away. So I'm spring of 2020 same time he moved I started a new house. Went over 20k over budget on materials n top of that I had to start from scratch and do my entire reloading setup from scratch in 21. And let's just say I don't have a bare minimum setup. So I'm that guy.

I did something really similar. I had switched to 270 wsm about 2018 without getting into reloading. Factory ammo was scarce, but you could generally find a few boxes at most larger retailers. Come hunting time for 2020 and I could still find some ammo, since the really common calibers went first. I scooped up 3 boxes and hoped it would be better by the next year. It wasn't. Now I've been sucked into reloading at the worst time to get into reloading. Fortunately its a bolt hunting gun, so I'm not guzzling components like my friend who has a bunch of ARs. Unfortunately this stupid expensive hobby isn't going away any time soon.

Haha yep, I feel the pain. It is what it is - but I have no choice but to pay up for powder and primers. I don't use GB, but I know I am still paying a lot more than 2019 prices. But how many people are like us and are just getting into this hobby? Probably not a lot.

Haha yep, I feel the pain. It is what it is - but I have no choice but to pay up for powder and primers. I don't use GB, but I know I am still paying a lot more than 2019 prices. But how many people are like us and are just getting into this hobby? Probably not a lot.
I think there are more than you think starting to reload In the last couple years. I've run into lots of People at the range and on several reloading related websites. People are so frustrated by the lack of ammo many are getting started. I get lots more questions about it than I did 4 and more years ago. Not so many in the last few months as ammo producers have begun catching up a bit.

I think there are more than you think starting to reload In the last couple years. I've run into lots of People at the range and on several reloading related websites. People are so frustrated by the lack of ammo many are getting started. I get lots more questions about it than I did 4 and more years ago. Not so many in the last few months as ammo producers have begun catching up a bit.
That's interesting insight - my only question would be - hasn't it been harder to get primers than actual ammo? Haha!

It could definitely be worse. I kind of get weary of the constant threads of doom and gloom in the cost and availability of components. You can still find the stuff you need for the most part. You will have to pay higher prices and possibly work up a different load, but it is not the end of the world. In the grand scheme of things, I reload and hunt/shoot for the pure pleasure of it. I took my wife out to a nice dinner last weekend and it cost more than two bricks of primers at today's prices. Many of us would not think twice in spending $5k on a rifle, but pull our hair out when paying $50 for a pound of powder.

I will say, primer availability is nasty for the beginning reloader. You are right that some patience will get most everyone some sort of powder and bullets. But I haven't seen rifle primers in forever. I traded 800 primers to a fellow who was desparate and gave me a pound of 4350 and a pound of Retumbo. I felt bad, but he asked what I had and offered the 2 lbs of powder. It was a apparently a trade welcomed by all.

Lot of new reloaders will not stay in this long I think, once you can buy ammo again. I have a buddy that wanted to start reloading. Was going to buy some crazy overpriced kit. I told him I had a number of spare stuff he could borrow, an old press, powder measure, etc. Picked up a beam scale on ebay reasonable. And once he could get 20 .223 rounds at Scheels for $15 he lost interest.....

Just getting into reload is a hard one. A lot of the equipment, and components are hard to come by. At the same time compiling the items to reload with will take sometime. It will turn around, just when who knows. Just getting dies can take months to get.
I generally don' use 2nds in bullets, but I having to fire form hundred cases, and can't presently can't what I want. Got to thinking about it more. Figure it would be better to use 2nds to fire form with, than use my other bullets, and then can't replace them.

Mike:

I used to buy seconds from Sierra when I lived near their factory. They'd come in a brown paper bag, and you'd pay by the pound.

Out of 200 bullets, 2 or 3 would be deformed or discolored enough that I wouldn't use them, but the rest seemed just like firsts. Sorry I can't get them like that any longer. I think they were a real good deal.

Mike:

I used to buy seconds from Sierra when I lived near their factory. They'd come in a brown paper bag, and you'd pay by the pound.

Out of 200 bullets, 2 or 3 would be deformed or discolored enough that I wouldn't use them, but the rest seemed just like firsts. Sorry I can't get them like that any longer. I think they were a real good deal.
Me Too.