28 Nosler or ?? Need help!

There are some good reads if you research it on line. If you used a cutting torch, youve seen the flame point at the tip of the torch when adjusted. The hottest point is the tip of the inner flame when the torch is adjusted.
Now take a case, any case, and draw a straight line down the angle of the shoulder from opposite sides and see where it converges in the neck or even outside the neck. A sharper shoulder with a longer neck will have this hottest point still inside the neck whereas a more acute shoulder and/shorter neck may converge outside the neck and even directly into the throat. This increases throat erosion which is the barrel killer.
ex; 6.5/284 are known to have short barrel life. even though they have a 35 degree shoulder, they have a very short neck. There are other examples as well. You will notice that most modern, winning designs, run sharper shoulders and longish necks for a reason, and barrel life is only one of the advantages. You can buy it or not.
We have been arguing this for years on AS forum and amongst ourselves. I buy the torch example, however when it's more like a plasma inside the barrel, it changes the example. Longer necks make sense because the absorb a bit of the heat. The "knowledgeable " comment you threw out there kinda set me off a bit making it sound like if I was knowledgeable, then I would agree with you. I, and many others, have yet to see proof of this in testing which is what I require to accept a theory.

no argument on shoulder angles or case design for accuracy. That doesn't have to do with barrel life though, imo.

We have been arguing this for years on AS forum and amongst ourselves. I buy the torch example, however when it's more like a plasma inside the barrel, it changes the example. Longer necks make sense because the absorb a bit of the heat. The "knowledgeable " comment you threw out there kinda set me off a bit making it sound like if I was knowledgeable, then I would agree with you. I, and many others, have yet to see proof of this in testing which is what I require to accept a theory.
Didn't mean to imply that YOU weren't knowledgeable! I believe it and so do many others but I have no problem with people who don't. Thats why we can choose from many designs that make us happy.
we're getting very good barrel life in our designs for the velocities being reached.

Didn't mean to imply that YOU weren't knowledgeable! I believe it and so do many others but I have no problem with people who don't. Thats why we can choose from many designs that make us happy.
we're getting very good barrel life in our designs for the velocities being reached.
Apologies then. I took your post wrong. Like you, I've studied and lived this stuff a long time and have never seen a case study or testing proving this. Not saying you and the others supporting this theory aren't correct, I have just yet to see enough to sway me.

no argument on shoulder angles or case design for accuracy. That doesn't have to do with barrel life though, imo.
Well, i dont claim to be knowledgeable but i agree with him. I read P.O.'s book 40 years ago and this was the basis for his cartridges. I've never proved him wrong, and he was knowledgeable.

Apologies then. I took your post wrong. Like you, I've studied and lived this stuff a long time and have never seen a case study or testing proving this. Not saying you and the others supporting this theory aren't correct, I have just yet to see enough to sway me.
Nothing wrong with that! I wish I did have time and resources necessary to do it. I will say this though. Barrel life on a 6.5/284 is generally between 800-1200 rounds with around 68 gr capacity and no more than 3000' fps with a 140.
The 6.5 ss has about 73 gr capacity and will run the 140 at 3150-3200 and barrel life is normally 1500 rounds,or more.
The 6.5 SS has a 40 degree shoulder and .320" neck. To me, thats a test.
We've had 6.5 sst's run over 2500 rounds with 70 grain capacity and at 3100-3150 with a 140.

Well, i dont claim to be knowledgeable but i agree with him. I read P.O.'s book 40 years ago and this was the basis for his cartridges. I've never proved him wrong, and he was knowledgeable.
There are many on both sides with their "proof" which is why I try to ask for a link to evidence. A case study would be great to see.

Nothing wrong with that! I wish I did have time and resources necessary to do it. I will say this though. Barrel life on a 6.5/284 is generally between 800-1200 rounds with around 68 gr capacity and no more than 3000' fps with a 140.
The 6.5 ss has about 73 gr capacity and will run the 140 at 3150-3200 and barrel life is normally 1500 rounds,or more.
The 6.5 SS has a 40 degree shoulder and .320" neck. To me, thats t test.
What parameters is your barrel life based on? 3 shot strings? 5 shot? I'm new to your Sherman cartridges, but I really like your case designs.

I do know for a fact the improvement on case life alone is worth it. I had a 220ai for a long time, barrel was shot god knows how many times and was still shooting well when i sold it. Scientific? No, but good enough for me to try one after my 28 is toast.

What parameters is your barrel life based on? 3 shot strings? 5 shot? I'm new to your Sherman cartridges, but I really like your case designs.
It will vary quite a bit, as Im sure you know, depending on use. Ive heard of 6.5 sst's with as few as 1500 running hot strings in PRS and I had a guy report 2400 in slow fire competition and then ran another 300 through it hunting before he decided the accuracy was going south.
My first 30 SM had 1600 rounds thru it and still shot great but I took the barrel off to re chamber with a different reamer. The barrel looked good, but that one was nitrided, so not a good test really. Not sure how much was design vs nitride, but it still has a lot of life left in it.

I do know for a fact the improvement on case life alone is worth it. I had a 220ai for a long time, barrel was shot god knows how many times and was still shooting well when i sold it. Scientific? No, but good enough for me to try one after my 28 is toast.
Not arguing your experiences. Glad it's working for you.

It will vary quite a bit, as Im sure you know, depending on use. Ive heard of 6.5 sst's with as few as 1500 running hot strings in PRS and I had a guy report 2400 in slow fire competition and then ran another 300 through it hunting before he decided the accuracy was going south.
Like you, I would love the time and resources to run a side by side, all things being equal test. It just isn't possible. Br guys seem to be the litmus test since they do spend the time and resources while keeping good records.

Like you, I would love the time and resources to run a side by side, all things being equal test. It just isn't possible. Br guys seem to be the litmus test since they do spend the time and resources while keeping good records.
Ive said this before but will repeat it. I dont consider myself to be any smarter than anyone else, and far less than some, but I'm smart enough to pay attention to what works!
That includes benchrest guys

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.