28 Nosler or ?? Need help!

huntfish7mm

I'm wanting to have a new gun built for long range hunting. Leaning towards a 6.5-300wby or 28 nosler. Anything better on throat life but has same performance as the 28? Wanting something different that most people won't have. Not really worried about barrel life. I reload so that's not a problem. Let me know what you guys think!!

Last edited:
You are going to pay the price of performance with either. Both are ok in a pure hunting gun. I built a 28 this year. throat is said to last 500rds. It can be extended somewhat by using a cooler burning powder like H1000 and living with the performance decrease. I have settled on this: Did my break in and load work. Now I take it whenever I go to shoot. During the outing I take a cold bore shot and a follow up at an extended range, and put it up and play with something else. That way I stay used to it, and hopefully I will get several years out of the barrel. If I shot it much it would have to have a new barrel every year at a minimum. Price you pay. If you want better barrel life think something like a 7-300WM on the high end and a 7RM on the low end. Another wildcat I dearly loved was the old Mashburn Super Mag. Not far behind the 28 at all with twice the life. Making cases for it is a pain. Nothing is free.

7STW. Not a wildcat, but definitely not common.
7RUM. 28 Nosler on steroids.
7 Dakota. Proprietary round.
7.21 Firebird (Lazzeroni).
7 Allen Mag.

I'm wanting to have a new gun built. Leaning towards a 6.5-300wby or 28 nosler. Anything better on throat life but has same performance as the 28? Wanting something different that most people won't have. Not really worried about barrel life. I reload so that's not a problem. Let me know what you guys think!!
28 Sherman Magnum will run at or above a Nosler and likely get better barrel life with a sharper shoulder plus a longer neck. Head stamped brass coming next month from ADG.
IMG_20181219_155403654.jpg

28 nosler is a great hunting round for lr Idaho stuff. Don't worry about barrel life. There are soooo many factors that you cannot say 500 or 1000. Figure 100 rounds to get it sped up and a sweet load found (probably less). That is a lot of shooting once you get it dialed in. One of my new favorite cartridges

28 Sherman Magnum will run at or above a Nosler and likely get better barrel life with a sharper shoulder plus a longer neck. Head stamped brass coming next month from ADG.View attachment 167423
How can you have more performance (pressure, heat, etc) and longer barrel life? Shoulder angle, neck length etc still have to deal with more heat and pressure. Do you have a link to testing?

28 Sherman Magnum will run at or above a Nosler and likely get better barrel life with a sharper shoulder plus a longer neck. Head stamped brass coming next month from ADG.View attachment 167423

What type of data are you getting with a 28 Sherman? I have a 28 Nosler and when the barrel goes, I was thinking 30-28 or go back with a 28 but would like to hear what you have to offer. With mine, using RL33, I am getting 3050fps with 195gr Berger's.

How can you have more performance (pressure, heat, etc) and longer barrel life? Shoulder angle, neck length etc still have to deal with more heat and pressure. Do you have a link to testing?
40 degree shoulder and longer neck are generally recognized by knowledgeable people to cause less throat erosion so a case with the same capacity and run at the same pressure will have better barrel life all else being equal.

Last edited:
40 degree shoulder and longer neck are generally recognized by knowledgeable people to cause less throat erosion so a case with the same capacity and run at the same pressure will have better barrel life all else being equal.
I guess I'm not knowledgeable so do you mind pointing me toward your case studies or facts to back that statement. Apologies for my ignorance :)
Does the shoulder angle or neck length cool the gases before they hit the throat?

What type of data are you getting with a 28 Sherman? I have a 28 Nosler and when the barrel goes, I was thinking 30-28 or go back with a 28 but would like to hear what you have to offer. With mine, using RL33, I am getting 3050fps with 195gr Berger's.
Im comparing the 30 Sherman mag to the 30 Nosler because the 28 is just coming out but it should be an apples to apples comparison with the same case.
The 30 SM will reach 3100' with a 230 and 3200' with a 215 with N570, RL33 and a couple other powders. (28") barrel.
I expect the 28 to max around 3200 with a 195. My 30 runs the 230 very comforably at 3050' with a 230 and 3150 with a 215 and thats with Hornady brass.
Ill Have ADG brass in Feb Which is better quality and will likely have a couple grains more capacity. I expect that a 195 in the 28 version should run well at 3100-3150'.
The very low body taper and 40 degree shoulder reduce case stretching and reduce bolt thrust too (less taper).

Im comparing the 30 Sherman mag to the 30 Nosler because the 28 is just coming out but it should be an apples to apples comparison with the same case.
The 30 SM will reach 3100' with a 230 and 3200' with a 215 with N570, RL33 and a couple other powders. (28") barrel.
I expect the 28 to max around 3200 with a 195. My 30 runs the 230 very comforably at 3050' with a 230 and 3150 with a 215 and thats with Hornady brass.
Ill Have ADG brass in Feb Which is better quality and will likely have a couple grains more capacity. I expect that a 195 in the 28 version should run well at 3100-3150'.
The very low body taper and 40 degree shoulder reduce case stretching and reduce bolt thrust too (less taper).

I will be looking forward to your findings once you start your testing. Very interested in it.

IMG_20200106_180618524.jpg
I guess I'm not knowledgeable so do you mind pointing me toward your case studies or facts to back that statement. Apologies for my ignorance :)
Does the shoulder angle or neck length cool the gases before they hit the throat?
There are some good reads if you research it on line. If you used a cutting torch, youve seen the flame point at the tip of the torch when adjusted. The hottest point is the tip of the inner flame when the torch is adjusted.
Now take a case, any case, and draw a straight line down the angle of the shoulder from opposite sides and see where it converges in the neck or even outside the neck. A sharper shoulder with a longer neck will have this hottest point still inside the neck whereas a more acute shoulder and/shorter neck may converge outside the neck and even directly into the throat. This increases throat erosion which is the barrel killer.
ex; 6.5/284 are known to have short barrel life. even though they have a 35 degree shoulder, they have a very short neck. There are other examples as well. You will notice that most modern, winning designs, run sharper shoulders and longish necks for a reason, and barrel life is only one of the advantages. You can buy it or not.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.