28 Nosler or ?? Need help!

I have been 7mm addict for quite sometime But for me the huge jump in loss of barrel life when you go to the 28N and larger is just not worth it. 500-600 rd to push a 195EOL 3150 vs 1200-1500 rd @2950/3000fps with the SS and SMax. To me 150fps is not worth barrel life of half or less rds.

I say if Elk is on the ticket at LR go 30 cal. If you want to stick to 7mm and want unique pick one of Richs cases.

If you want something more unique in 30 cal do a 30-28 Nosler or go to the 30 Sherman Mag based off a 6.5PRC case. With todays brakes recoil really is not an issue.

If you go with the 30-28N be sure to get the RUM wyatt box so you have plenty of room for COAL to seat the long heavies out of the powder column. This is not an issue with the SM case and its close to the perf from what I have seen Rich mention. Not sure if you mandate a dbm mag or a/bdl is fine.

If your starting from scratch a 30 NM Imp is also a step up from the 30-28N and not much more loss of barrel life comparatively according to reports.

Lack of choices is not going to be the issue that's for sure.

I'm wanting to have a new gun built for long range hunting. Leaning towards a 6.5-300wby or 28 nosler. Anything better on throat life but has same performance as the 28? Wanting something different that most people won't have. Not really worried about barrel life. I reload so that's not a problem. Let me know what you guys think!!

If you're going custom build the 7mm Blaser is coming on strong. I don't have one. Yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.