28 Nosler or 30 Nosler

I read through the entire post and I realize that you have a few magnums in your arsenal. When put into context of everything you've said, I do understand your statement about the 30-06.

But taken out of context, it is a little humorous keeping the little ol 30-06 for the "close" shots. :D

Just giving you a hard time! I'm sure you'll be happy with either the 28 or 30 Nosler. It is honestly hard to not be seduced into these new sexy cartridges. They are alluring. I want one also... but I'm not real sure why I do.

Thanks lol. It was my dads 30-06. I also have a 270 WSM and a 25-06 that's about it. Another question about going with a bigger caliber is - does anyone know what's the biggest caliber I could go with the action? I have a rem 700 long action chambered in 300 wm. Is it possible to get a 338 lapua built off of it or would I need a different action? Thanks again.

338lm could be done on a 700la but it would take more work than its worth.

28 Nosler ballistics with 195s is **** hard to beat. Like others said, you would be doing yourself a disservice with the 30 nosler loading anything below the 215 bergers or 212 elds.

The 338 Lapua will push the factory action if loaded too hard. Most smiths that I know will not do it. 300 RUM or 338 Rum is probably as hot as you could go. On second thought the 338 edge. The RUM based cartridges would not require a bolt face change either.

Steve

I'm in Prince George and besides hunting around here I cross up into north eastern BC. I used a 270 for many years and killed moose, elk, caribou, goats and deer. Mostly with nosler partitions. after a close encounter with mr grizz I got a 300wsm. Already had a 7mm rem mag. That being said I have a 26 nosler dialed in i'm going to pack this fall till I kill something. Funny eh I know. Either the 28 or 30 the difference I minute in my opinion. However if you truly think you will shoot past 300 then you better practice and shoot shoot shoot at long range with whatever you got.

Don't be afraid to look at the 8 mm Rem Mag, it is the best kept secret in the long range hunting world. If something needs a big time whack, the 8 mm will give it. A good barrel and chamber job are capable of stunning accuracy and bullets are being made these days in .323, not many, the 200 grain Partition will level any north american game.. compared to when this cartridge came on the market. Check and compare the four of them ballistically, I think you'll be surprised at the results, it'll fit nicely into the upper area of what you already have..

Last edited:
I have 277/26-Nosler, 284/26-Nosler (28 Nosler, sold it), 308/26-Nosler (a little longer than a real 30-Nosler) and a 338/26-Nosler.

323/26-Nosler (32-Nosler or close) and maybe a 358/26-Nosler (35-Nosler or close) is drawn up.

With in what you ask about 28 vs. 30. There is so little between them it really boils down to what you prefer.

If you don't have a big 7mm (bigger tham a 7mm Win Mag or 7WSM), that is the way I'd go.

Then much depends on which action you choose.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.