30/28 Nosler

You dont want snug brass in the chamber. The rifles will not shoot their best that way. I have seen some rifles really turn on after getting the owner to bump the shoulder another thou or two. We dont even like a snug fit in a BR rifle, they dont shoot as well. We all do this to a point, but try not to force feed a barrel. Try as many powders and bullets as you can and it should be pretty obvious when you find the right combo.

You dont want snug brass in the chamber. The rifles will not shoot their best that way. I have seen some rifles really turn on after getting the owner to bump the shoulder another thou or two. We dont even like a snug fit in a BR rifle, they dont shoot as well. We all do this to a point, but try not to force feed a barrel. Try as many powders and bullets as you can and it should be pretty obvious when you find the right combo.
Well said Alex! I went through all of that and neck clearance is another one that is often too tight!

Thanks Alex.
I'm thinking when I run the nosler brass through the size die I should have double checked ALL the shoulder lengths. It might not be bumping it back enough. Probably why I'm getting the slight sticky feel as I close the bolt on several of them. But not on the brass after it's been shot.
I typically bump back about 2 thousands.
I'll try 3-4 .
Ordered an annealing machine last night also. Want to make sure I'm consistent with that.
I'll also check my necks.
Kris

The Wheeler 30-28 did its job this year. Had an epic trip elk hunting. When you are sitting on Rim Rock and having to sort through a variety of bulls at 400 yards and try to find one away from cows. It's a good problem to have. Thank you @Rhovee and @Alex Wheeler for the tools to get the job done with 100% confidence. 👍

The Wheeler 30-28 did its job this year. Had an epic trip elk hunting. When you are sitting on Rim Rock and having to sort through a variety of bulls at 400 yards and try to find one away from cows. It's a good problem to have. Thank you @Rhovee and @Alex Wheeler for the tools to get the job done with 100% confidence. 👍
Not true without Photo's! LOL.. No really congratulations lets see some pics when you get a chance. What bullet were you shooting?

Not true without Photo's! LOL.. No really congratulations lets see some pics when you get a chance. What bullet were you shooting?
215 Berger.
It was quite a cluster, we estimated 100-150+ elk, 30+ bulls in the herd. It made it hard to pick one. This guy was on the outside of the herd where I could make a clean shot so I took it. Not the big bull I had seen the night before when we thought we were putting 15 elk with 2 bulls to bed, and waking up and looking over the edge to see over 100. An experience I will never forget.

Attachments

• 3D3453D9-DAF8-4DC7-BA6E-30D68555707B.jpeg
    3D3453D9-DAF8-4DC7-BA6E-30D68555707B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 224
  • 8F53C814-D2C5-46EA-8D5A-14CE7713B0A2.jpeg
    8F53C814-D2C5-46EA-8D5A-14CE7713B0A2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
Last edited:
That's awesome! I have seriously thought about doing another one. Glad I could help your uncle out with the load development as well.

215 Berger.
It was quite a cluster, we estimated 100-150+ elk, 30+ bulls in the herd. It made it hard to pick one. This guy was on the outside of the herd where I could make a clean shot so I took it. Not the big bull I had seen the night before when we thought we were putting 15 elk with 2 bulls to bed, and waking up and looking over the edge to see over 100. An experience I will never forget.
Nice job, thats the kind of cluster I would like to be in right know. I just finished load work up on my 30-28 Nosler I just built and was supposed to be in Colorado right now with a Bull and deer tag, then off to Montana with the same. Then my mother went into the hospital a little over a week ago, she has been fighting lung cancer, so I ended up canceling both my hunts to take care of things on the home front. It was sure nice seeing this photo right about now, it was a nice little pic me up from all the things I've been dealing with. I think I might get half my money back from Montana but Colorado said sorry nothing we could do, oh well. Thanks again for posting the photo, I will get out next year.

I know this is an old thread but I shipped a new Christensen Ridgeline 300 PRC off today to my gunsmith to possibly chamber in 30/28 Nosler. I would've just went with 30 Nosler but the dimensions don't look right for those 2 chamberings to be converted. I chose the Ridgeline because it's one of the few factory rifles that are produced with a 26" 1 in 8" twist barrel. I live just above sea level so it takes at least an 8.5T but and 8T will for sure stabilize them fine. I'm interested in running the Berger 245's up to around 2,900 FPS with good accuracy. My question is: Has anyone tried the 245's in a 30/28 Nosler yet and if so what kind of velocity are you getting?

I run a 30-28 with 215s. It's perfectly suited. I think the 245 would be a bit to heavy. Personally when I rebarrel someday I'm probably going to go with the 300 wheeler. It's the 338 RUM necked down to a 30 and pushes those big heavy berger to the next node. I believe Alex Wheeler is the only one with the reamer.
He's very knowledgeable on the 2 chambers so you might contact him and see what he thinks.

Kris

I run a 30-28 with 215s. It's perfectly suited. I think the 245 would be a bit to heavy. Personally when I rebarrel someday I'm probably going to go with the 300 wheeler. It's the 338 RUM necked down to a 30 and pushes those big heavy berger to the next node. I believe Alex Wheeler is the only one with the reamer.
He's very knowledgeable on the 2 chambers so you might contact him and see what he thinks.

Kris
Thanks for the reply and the info Kris, I will do that.

Kris
Curious why you'd neck the 338 down vs going with a straight 300 RUM?

Recent Posts