7wsm or 28 Nosler

maninthemaze

Ok guys, here's the deal. I currently have a 7wsm rifle that weighs right at 14 pounds. The specs are Stiller Tac 300, Krieger #8 Target barrel 1-9 twist, Manners T2A stock, Calvin Elite trigger, Vortex Viper 6-24×50 FFP, Vortex rings. Current load is 180 Berger Hunting VLD at 2900fps.

After 2 years of packing this thing on antelope hunts and then this year's mule deer hunt, I want something lighter. I have just ordered a #5 Brux 1-8.5 twist with straight flutes. This should take 2 pounds off the rifle. I plan on ordering a Manners EH1 stock. This should shave another 2 pounds off of it.

Now the real question. Should I stick with 7wsm or go ahead and chamber it to 28 Nosler? I could sell all my 7wsm brass, I have 4 bags of new, never opened brass, and about 125 rounds of 6 times fired brass. I anneal every time I reload it. This should get me some 28 Nosler brass to work with.
What do you thing rechamber to 28 Nosler or stick with 7wsm?

Thanks

I'll add, that if I had an extra $1200 laying around I would just purchase another action and trigger and have 2 rifles. Since I don't, money is definitely a consideration in this upgrade.

If it were me I'd lean towards the 28Nosler if for no other reason than the fact you're pretty well guaranteed a reliable source of good brass and factory ammo if you should ever find yourself in a pinch and separated from your hand loads.

I'll never give up on my 7mm STW's but the 28N gets awfully close.

I have been faced with the exact situation myself. Due to wsm brass being hard to find, and the overall weight of my custom I too am building a new rifle. I am going with the 28 Nosler. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on, and it sounds like a clear winner. I just can't deside between the 180 hydrid or the 195.
Cheers,
Levi

I feel like I'm crazy for even thinking about changing this thing after I just got it shooting good. It's just too darn heavy. Me and my brother are planning an elk hunt next year, and just don't want to pack it.

I'm thinking after selling all my 7wsm stuff and my Manners stock, I shouldn't be out too much extra money. Once my barrel comes in and I've shipped mine off to the gunsmith, I'll start selling stuff.

HAHA.... maninthemaze I hear ya! I just got back from an elk hunt where I shot this bull at 962 with my 7 wsm. It's a tough choice, but for me it is the right one.

Cheers,
Levi

Attachments

• IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 114
What about rechambering to 7-300 wsm iam in same thing but I have a lot of brass real to bad it is the best wsm of them all. 28 nosler great chambering but not any better if you look at big picture.

I kinda like what wildrose said about being able to find good brass easily. Also being able to buy factory ammo, if I ever find myself without reloads. I usually take 50 rounds with me to Wyoming for pronghorn. I figured if we got done early we could shoot coyotes or prairie dogs. If I ran out, I could just drive into town and buy factory loads, rezero my scope and keep shooting. At nearly $2.50 round, it would make for an expensive dog shoot but could still be done.

Thanks for the replies. I was kinda on the fence but now, I'm definitely leaning towards the 28 Nosler.

I like the Nosler case better. The short mags are hard to load without compressing. Unless you have them throated long the bullet takes up too much of the case.

I think the Nosler is the better choice.

Steve

Hi maninthemaze,

I hear ya. I have a Sako 7MM Rem Mag that weighs 10 pounds maybe a few ounces better. Oh so many years ago, on my second or third Wyoming trip, I had had enough of carrying a heavy rifle up and down high ridges. Two years ago I killed a huge elk with it after chasing him for two-and-a-half hours. I could have killed him just as dead with my much lighter .270 Win. BTW, I killed that bull of a lifetime with a 160 grain Partition that penetrated through-and-through his massive chest destroying his heart. He was dead on his hooves. One Partition, one very dead bull elk.

Cartridges are preference. Most will produce the identical outcome: dead big game. If I could start anew, I'd buy a .280 Rem and never need another rifle for all North American big game. However, my first choice would be ease of carry. I'd try to keep the entire rifle at 8 pound or less.

The practical reality is there ain't arguing difference between the .270 Win and the .280 Rem unless we were to factor in 175 grain bullets that the latter will shoot exceptionally well. With it's high sectional density, the 175 grain bullet has incredible penetration ability. It was used successfully by an African elephant culler who killed shy of a thousand elephants with a 7x57 shooting 175 grain solids.

There is magic in .284 bullets. To get better sectional density, one has to travel far up the power and recoil continuum.

I believe the the 7MM Rem Mag remains our best selling magnum cartridge, and for good reason: it kills as advertised. If you're looking for component availability, you can't go wrong with the 7MM Rem Mag. While I know nothing about the Nosler round, I'd guess that it won't kill big game any deader than the 7MM Rem Mag. I don't expect any .284 cartridge to ever threaten the 7MM Rem Mag's .284 dominance; hence, you'll always be able to find factory ammo and loading components. But in the end, you'll have to go with what you like best.

I agree with you 100% about making rifle weight a primary criterion. Carrying a heavy rifle all day, especially when a lighter one will kill big game just as dead, is not be fun.

I wish you success in finding your perfect rifle.

P.S. Don't exclude the '06, or, if you like short actions, the .308 Win. They'll kill all North American big game just as dead as any magnum. Before magnums came along, the '06 was killing all big game in North America and the world.

I get better than 3200 FPS with 150 grain Ballistic Tips, better than 3100 FPS with 160 grain Partitions, and better than 3000 FPS with 175 grain Partitions out of a 24" barreled Sako 7MM Rem Mag.

Owing to many years experience, I'm of the opinion that 24" barreled rifles are the longest I'd considered for hunting. I prefer 22" barrels. I'd give very serious consideration to a .380 Win carbine.

28 Nosler is an impressive round w the 195 Berger, was with my buddy when he leveled his second bull elk of the season on Sunday morning at 650 yards, hes shooting about 3050 fps w that load. I've heard of guys shooting the 180s at just a bit over 3000 fps and it's a waste at that velocity, my 7mag does 3000 fps w the 180 hybrids and my brass costs less than half of the 28 Nosler.

I get better than 3200 FPS with 150 grain Ballistic Tips, better than 3100 FPS with 160 grain Partitions, and better than 3000 FPS with 175 grain Partitions out of a 24" barreled Sako 7MM Rem Mag.

Owing to many years experience, I'm of the opinion that 24" barreled rifles are the longest I'd considered for hunting. I prefer 22" barrels. I'd give very serious consideration to a .380 Win carbine.
I've carried a rifle thousands of miles in rough country and other than in jungle conditions have never noticed an extra 2" of barrel being a detriment.

I like the Nosler case better. The short mags are hard to load without compressing. Unless you have them throated long the bullet takes up too much of the case.

I think the Nosler is the better choice.

Steve
Yep, if for no other reason I'd favor the Nosler case over the wsm.

With the longer very heavy for caliber projectiles hitting the market the limits on case capacity are going to be a problem.

For the difference in price and availability though it would make a whole lot of sense to consider just sticking with the 7mm RM rather than the other two.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.