7 RUM or 28 Nosler?

bdpayne2000

So which way would you go and why? Hunting rifle would like to shoot the 195 bergers.

Thanks Brian.

.28 Nosler hands-down... Less powder, less overbore, easy to find brass, and should produce nearly the same velocities as the 7RUM, but with better barrel life.

And the biggest reason of all...The .28 Nosler will fit in a standard long-action with the long heavy high-BC bullets near the lands, where the Bergers like to be seated.

to me that's like saying... which engine do you like, a 302 or a 305??? It depends more on the rifle you want wrapped around it than the cartridge itself as far as factory form...
I'll take the 7stw first, the 7rum second, and the 28 nosler third... nosler is positioning themselves a bit like weatherby with their hotrods, and I think they will live but be on near life support after the new car smell wears off. I for one am NOT buying in... I just hope for the band-wagoners that nosler supports their new cartridges a bit better than win has with the wssm's...

to me that's like saying... which engine do you like, a 302 or a 305??? It depends more on the rifle you want wrapped around it than the cartridge itself as far as factory form...
I'll take the 7stw first, the 7rum second, and the 28 nosler third... nosler is positioning themselves a bit like weatherby with their hotrods, and I think they will live but be on near life support after the new car smell wears off. I for one am NOT buying in... I just hope for the band-wagoners that nosler supports their new cartridges a bit better than win has with the wssm's...

I agree. I wouldn't build one, and I'll take my STW's over any of them...But since he only asked about those 2 specifically, I was going with what I would pick if I only had those 2 options.

I like the engine analogy. 289 (STW:D), 302 (7RUM:rolleyes:) or 305 (28N:cool:)

LOL Old school vs new. Just kidding of course.

There is not much difference in performance. So close that one barrel may be faster than another regardless of clambering.

The attributes to make a decision on are so limited. COAL fit in a magazine and optimal seating? Belted cases or not.

That's about it.

We all have our favorites. For me 28 Nosler all the way because it the 2 attributes, fit in magazine, no belt.

There are some serious differences in those engines you guys are analogizing.

I'm building a 28 Nosler right now from a *gasp* 7STW.
New Brux pipe ~28 in finished..... should be one hell of a sight to see when she's done.
I have a 300 RUM in the Long Range model from Remington.... and a 7 RUM in the Sendero with the Jkey... and 2 26 Noslers.... I have more than enough 404 Jeffery based rounds...LOL:Dgun)

I'm building a 28 Nosler right now from a *gasp* 7STW.
New Brux pipe ~28 in finished..... should be one hell of a sight to see when she's done.
I have a 300 RUM in the Long Range model from Remington.... and a 7 RUM in the Sendero with the Jkey... and 2 26 Noslers.... I have more than enough 404 Jeffery based rounds...LOL:Dgun)

Remember to save your 7stw barrel so we can put it to good use later. It is a good shooting barrel, but I can see why you are moving over with the current brass prices. Oh wait, you have to pay those prices too for the 28 nos brass... Horse a piece I guess, but the 8" twist will help a lot spinning the big pills...

No, no, no..... You must not be hearing me well. THREEE HUUUUNDREED UULTRAAA!!! lol.

We all have a big 30 in our back pocket... Muddy has an Ackley, Jokostel and I are both running 300rum rifles... The question was about which 7 the o.p. would like, and it is really a chevy/ ford type question at present... No real difference other than who put it together.

Unless he meant the Fords :D

I just bought a new 2015 Camaro ss Saturday... :D
I'm not impressed with some of the issues other makes are having lately...:rolleyes: Transmission issues on trucks and issues with turbo motors turn me off on Ford for now; I do have one Ford and will buy another, but not this year.

I might have bought a Hellcat, but they are scarce as brass for a wssm around here and I think the Dodge offerings are a bit rough and out of date anyway. I did, however, try a srt Challenger and found it to be decent with the 6 speed manual. Too bad my wife isn't really comfortable with a manual trans. and I won't buy a Dodge with an auto trans.. I do have a Durango, but it's a winter and hunting season ride, with plowing through anything being the name of the game, not how fast or refined it is.

In the end, you make your choice and either live with it, or adapt it to meet your real world needs...:) My Camaro will likely get some upgrades, but I'll finish paying for it first and give the car a bit of time for its deficiencies to foment before I shake out my wallet for it...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.