7 STW vs 28 Nosler vs 7 RUM according to Nosler's #8 reloading book

Dang Namit you guys,,, just quit with this high speed critter getter cartridges... Ha...

Its bad enough that I dream about the old school 7mm Remington Mag cartridge,,, then here you guys dash my future plans with super high velocities and goobs or Punch-Junk down range... LOL

Next thing I know I'm going to end up buying a used 300 Weatherby Mag to play the game once again...

Hard on my wallet you guys are...

Sad indeed... Ha
LMAO!!! Love it.

I agree. I done a lot of load developement for my son's 7 RUM and I couldn't get 3250 with a 175 gr bullet in his 26" barrel.
3200 is what my factory barreled 7 RUM shoots the 180 with retumbo
Dang Namit you guys,,, just quit with this high speed critter getter cartridges... Ha...

Its bad enough that I dream about the old school 7mm Remington Mag cartridge,,, then here you guys dash my future plans with super high velocities and goobs or Punch-Junk down range... LOL

Next thing I know I'm going to end up buying a used 300 Weatherby Mag to play the game once again...

Hard on my wallet you guys are...

Sad indeed... Ha
lol Rifle building is just like a building good race engine, at some time you just have to quit counting the money lol :D

I hear yha,,, just when I get 1 build done the next bigger and better / or should I say more fun cartridge thread gets underway... Don't get me right or wrong,,, I like my new to me 6.5 A-square / 6.5/06,,, but the Lapua brass bunches up when I get into those hot loads,,, not at all like my 30 caliber rifles... Ha...

Try sleeping at night after reading some of these awesome threads is quite the challange... My good friend in the North is jumping back and forth between his 7mm Rum and 300 Rum,,, at times he likes his 300 but it rattles his cage so he normally grabs his 7,,, he calls it his point and shoot iron,,, mostly the close range critters he's after... LOL... I never asked him what he means by close range...

Yuppers,,, the shooting and hunting sports of endless cartridges is a full time thinking process in my noodle... Maybe after the hunting season raps up I'll have time to think about the next future build... Ha...

Stock piling the funds now incase the plans change I guess...

Apologies in advance and certainly don't mean to detour the thread, but I'm a little confused by JE's comment about making a belted cartridge shoot like a beltless. I understand that if you fire the belted round, the shoulder will grow to the point where you can bump the shoulder and then headspace off of it. What I am confused by is why FL sizing the brass with S Bushing dies would prevent you from still being able to headspace from the shoulder? I always appreciate JE's input and advice....just can't quite wrap my head around this one.....again....apologies for the distraction.

Thanks,

Marcus

No problem.
The SAMMI standard cartridge calls for a datum to case head dimension of 2.460 and a chamber Datum line to case head dimension of 2.469 so if you fire a 7 STW in a SAMMI chamber the datum Line will lengthen by .009 thousandths. and if you don't do a full length sizing you will/should have .009 thousandths to play with and set the headspace .001 to .0025 thousandths and still have.0065 to .008 clearance between the cartridge belt and the chamber belt preventing the belt from coming into play.

This may vary depending on how the chamber was cut, but there will be clearance and if sized correctly it will be head spaced off the shoulder not the belt. This will also extend the case life because of less sizing.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.