7MM STW vs 28 Nosler

Last time I seen stw ammo was about three years ago in a little mom and pop store in northern Colorado. They had two boxes at $75 a box. Old stock.
I was in Sportsman's Warehouse in Grand Junction today, low and behold 28 Nosler brass on the shelf. Didn't look for ammo.

Most of us that shoot a 7 stw don`t depend on factory ammo, & we`re smart enough to stock up on brass when we find it! But the same thing holds trues for every caliber I shoot & reload for!! LOL
I agree with this. And do the same for every gun I own. At least enough to last the life of the barrel.

WOW!! Eight pages of Tomaitoe - Tomatoo. What we have here is two cartridges that are basically the same thing. All the arguments for or against will never settle the issue because it is strictly a matter of degrees on different aspects. There isn't enough of a difference to call a definitive winner. Basically if you hand load, either will do the job, if you shoot only factory ammo then the 28 Nosler. Outside of that specific issue there is no clear winner.

284 or 280 ??? Same business. You need to reload the 284 and not the 280. Like said above, I reload all my own ammunition regardless what cartridge. It's just better when I do and it's not even because it's alot cheaper. Accuracy and performance are Paramount in that area for me and most if not all who reload. The STW plowed the trail for the 28 Nosler. Makes it an easier path for any 28 magnum to follow. It's earned a place in cartridge history and a very good seat as well. The 28 Nosler comes to life at a time when powder and bullets are in their prime ballistically speaking. To say one rivals the other is just ignorant. To each there own. We all have favorite cartridges and loads. Many reloaders don't maximize the cartridges performance but rather achieve the best accuracy. That certainly does not achieve any cartridges maximum performance to say one is better, faster or hits harder. My 7mm mag shoots extremely well at 2900 fps with 162 Amax bullets. My 284 shoots best at 3010 with 162 Amax bullets. Which is best ??? Not an easy answer and I'm sure a different one for each person.

The STW is dead, we should let it go in silence, the 28 Nosler is the last nail in its coffin, it just a better design and performed at levels I've never seen an STW do.
I would not go that far and say it's dead. Still alot gunmakers producing This gun.. What About The Ultra mag ?

Shall we call it the "Jesus" cartridge? Forgive me, Christians, if this is disrespectful.
Don't be politically correct it offends me ha ha.
I love my stw but I love my 28 more
less work to make it fit in the gun with 195 throated long.
Does anyone have a 7stw throated long for a 195 I don't think so.

Don't be politically correct it offends me ha ha.
I love my stw but I love my 28 more
less work to make it fit in the gun with 195 throated long.
Does anyone have a 7stw throated long for a 195 I don't think so.
Pretty sure there's some out there... And probably several guys on here.

The trick with most all full-length magnums based off the .300 H&H is to have a Wyatt's 4.000" mag box installed by your smith.

I love Big Seven anything.

After finding my 7RUM brass and loaded ammo. I'm kind of rethinking a 7RUM build? It makes sense, now that we've got appropriate powders and heavier bullets. When it came it out, it made more noise than sense at that time!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts