7SAUM = 72.6 grains max case capacity H2O to overflow
7WSM = 80 grains max case capacity H2O to overflow
7REM Mag = 82 grains max case capacity H2O to overflow
7Weatherby = 87 grains max case capacity H2O to overflow
7Dakota = 89 grains max case capacity H2O to overflow
7STW = 97 grains max case capacity H2O to overflow
7RUM = 112 grains max case capacity H2O to overflow

Sorry, I got a little carried away ....:D

cooler you mean it is not as fast and as powerful ? i have never shot or been around a 7mm so i am a little dense when it comes to these cartage's . All I know about them is what i have read on this forum
No, no. "Cool": like more admirable, hipper...ya dig? See my other reply for details.:)

Dwm's list is very cool!

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site. Go to the search link and type in your questions. In addition to this use a search engine and you will have days of reading on the STW and 7 WSM.

To add to the aforementioned information with some of my opinions:

The STW is a long case, its parent is the 8 mm Rem Mag necked down to 7 mm. Layne Simpson popularized it and named it after the magazine he wrote for, Shooting Times Westerner. If there was a flaw with this case it would be limited bullet seating depth in a standard length long action. It can be solved by installing a longer magazine box made by Wyatt's.

The WSM is one of a series of short action FAT cases designed to use a short fat powder column which some claim is a better design. Personally I am not too fond of the WSMs due to issues with them fitting and feeding from a magazine. If a WSM rifle is purchased it will most likely feed properly but even some of those have issues with the case popping out of the magazine when the bolt is thrown briskly. Asking a gunsmith to take an existing bolt action and make it WSM user friendly could be costly. On the other hand based on what I have recently read, RL-17 can make this short case perform with higher velocities. A match made in heaven.

I am sure others can add to this thread.

Is that right a 7MM STW has only a 150 fps advantage over a 7mm WSM ?

I have both the 7 WSM and the 7 STW and like what each bring to the table.

The 7 WSM is accurate,light and short because of the short action .

The 7 STW is light ,accurate and has more recoil but with 140gr bullets is very
flat shooting.

As far as velocity my STW "standard" load with a 140gr bullet is 3528 ft/sec.

The max load in my 7 WSM is 3213 with a 140 gr bullet.

And on the feeding issue, the WSMs are more trouble to set up to feed good
but it can be done. ( The WSSMs are worse ).

If the belt has you bothered then look at the 7 RUM. It will add another 100+
ft/sec to the STW.

It is hard to compair the 7 WSM to the 7 STW because they are so far apart in
performance with the big/heavy bullets and with light bullets the STW is overbored
badly .( My hottest 120gr load in the STW exceeded 3900 ft/sec velocity but accuracy
suffered from over rotation,

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

I like how Layne Simpson claimed the 7 STW. After the article in Shooting times i ran in to a guy who had a 1000 yard heavy bench and regular sporter of this caliber. Of course he called it a 8mm 7mm. I bought his sporter barrel and had it put on my rem 700. I sent Layne Simpson a few fired cases and asked him about this since this guy had it done 8 years prior. He responded back in a letter saying it looked close but he didnt actually claim it . I could of swore he claimed it though. I wasent to impressed and sold the gun. Made a big bang and kicked like hell. However where this gun would come to life would be with the larger bullets, but i wasent going to sit behind it. Muzzle brakes was just getting popular than i think it was around 1988 give or take.
Mike

Amazing what a muzzle brake can do. Had a 300RUM sporter weight . I'm a husky big boned Iron worker and I could only shooting that thing 10 or so shots. Then added a Vias brake and I bet it reduced recoil by 50% but it sounded like an Atom Bomb.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.