7mm-300 vs 28 Nosler

el matador

I can't find anywhere this has been discussed so lets have at it. I know Ryan at Piercision Rifles has been having great luck with the 28 Nosler lately but I also hear great things about the 7-300. I'm thinking of putting a cheap rifle together with a used Rem 700, a stock I already have, and a new barrel. I already have 300 Win bushing dies so I wouldn't need new dies for the 7-300. These new bullets from Berger and Hornady have me wanting a fast 7mm! Which one would you go with?

I would go with the 28 Nosler because it is a shorter case and has more capacity.

I've built and shot numbers of both with both set up for the 195 Berger and on average your looking at about 100-150 fps less with the 7-300 Win, both actually come out to about the same over all length with the bullets seated the same and there is no advantage to either as you need the same mag with either.
Both stupid accurate, both easy to load, brass price and availability is one point they diverge on.
I've been running a throated 28 for a season and really like it but it shoots best very close to what I've been running the 7-300's I can definitely run the 28 harder but they you start taking some life out of that pricey brass, it is a shooter though and I'm very pleased with it. The 28 will definitely have less barrel life, I can see that already having borescoped both.

I only own a 7-300wm and also am also getting to the crossroad or these two.I have been thinking 28 nosler,but then again I am set up for the 7-300.Like bigngreen said, Mine is crazy accurate,but my buddy picked up a 28 of Ryans in classifieds here and it is shoots amazing.Bigngreen,I'm curious to barrel life of yours,I am loosing velocity and thought I was about ready to rebarrel,but this thing still shoots little itty bitty holes:),I'm guessing I'm up to 850-950 rounds through a 1-8twist Krieger.Taggin in thanks.Couldn't go wrong either way to me.

Right now I'm leaning toward the 7-300 since I'm considering a cheaper build, and I already have dies and brass. I'd like to run the Hornady 180 ELD Match bullets if they shoot well. I'm thinking a 180 out of the 7-300 should be close in velocity to the 195 Bergers out of a 28 Nosler. I imagine the freebore setup would be similar for either bullet. Thanks for the input so far, gentlemen.

Midway has the 180 ELD-M as seconds right now. I picked up 500 for my new 7mm Rem Mag that I'm building.. Just figured I'd give you a heads up..

SHM

You might as well jump on the bandwagon as well. It's amazing anyone was able to kill anything before these new 28 Nosler's came out.

I do not have a 28 Nosler but I do have a 7-300. I run 180 Berger hybrids around 3150. Bullets will have an accuracy node regardless of the cartridge they are launched from. I seriously doubt the 28 Nosler will get you to the next node. Either way brass is cheaper and more plentiful for the 300 win mag. This is why I chose it over the 28 Nosler. You can't go wrong either way.

You might as well jump on the bandwagon as well. It's amazing anyone was able to kill anything before these new 28 Nosler's came out.

Hahaha.

New is fun. 28 Nosler is approachable. Not so big that the recoil is a problem.

This is "Long Range Hunting" after all. A 7mm that can go 1000 yards with confidence is what we are about.

Sure you can do all the same things with a 30-30 except the long range part.

Hahaha.

New is fun. 28 Nosler is approachable. Not so big that the recoil is a problem.

This is "Long Range Hunting" after all. A 7mm that can go 1000 yards with confidence is what we are about.

Sure you can do all the same things with a 30-30 except the long range part.

Haha oh I know, just trying to mix a little sarcasm in with some humor :D:D

The bandwagon has had the seats refurbished and looks very inviting. The more I think about this the more I lean toward the 7-300 though. For a more expensive full-custom where money wasn't as much of a concern the Nosler seems like a great way to go. For a budget build I'm liking all the shortcuts the Win Mag case has to offer. I might even get away without using a brake on this gun if I shoot the 180 grain bullets.

The heritage and availability of 300WM based designs is very compelling.

Don't hesitate to go that route.

I am looking at this same choice. I want to shoot the 195's too. What chamber dimensions are you guys having success with? Is there a reamer print or schematic out there that everyone is liking the best?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.