28 Nosler or something bigger?

Thanks everyone for the great feedback already! It's always good to read individual's experiences on here :) way better than what I get off youtube and the gun magazines trying to make money. Of course there is no one right answer to what I'm looking for but it's nice to get real world experiences.

Unfortunately I know I'm looking into this sooner than I have the experience to justify doing it, but I'm sure most in here understand the itch to get another new toy. Currently my 6.5 PRC will be capable of hunting elk out to the distances I'm comfortable with, so it's hard to know what velocity/bullet weight I'll need down the road. I'm just hoping to be able to expand my capabilities.

For now I'll just continue to research and get more acquainted with the 6.5 PRC, and at the point I decide to get something new it sounds like I can't go wrong with any of the options mentioned.
Well done!! It's an endless rabbit hole for the ultimate pursuit and a passion to last a lifetime. Just always enjoy the chase, stay healthy and happy along the way.....and never worry.....THERE'S ALWAYS SOMETHING NEW ! Cheers!

Neither of those calibers are fun to shoot. You should shoot them first if possible. I shot the 28 Nosler about 25 shots as me and BIL were breaking in his gun. I felt like I had a concussion and had headache for hours afterward. It was a 8lb browning X bolt with brake. Muzzle blast from brake was just obnoxious.

If you plan to shoot it a lot, do NOT go 28 Nosler. Barrel life is 400-700ish rounds depending on load and how you shoot.

A .300WM would be my choice.

this is amazing to me as I've used the 7 Mashburn Super a lot, been thru a butt load of barrels and at a minimum I'm at 1700 rounds before things begin to slip and I start to have some fouling as well start to chase the lands a bit...Usually around 2500 I gave up on them though during the recession I took one barrel to 3500

this is amazing to me as I've used the 7 Mashburn Super a lot, been thru a butt load of barrels and at a minimum I'm at 1700 rounds before things begin to slip and I start to have some fouling as well start to chase the lands a bit...Usually around 2500 I gave up on them though during the recession I took one barrel to 3500
You must be speaking of the Great Recession of the 1930's.......cause as far as I can see this recession is far from over!

If you plan to shoot it a lot, do NOT go 28 Nosler. Barrel life is 400-700ish rounds depending on load and how you shoot.

A .300WM would be my choice.
Lance you just broke my heart lol. I thought I'd read initially when having it built closer to 700-900 rounds. I'm shooting a super accurate but mild load of Retumbo @ 77.5grains with Berger 195's and hoped to get on the higher end with my Proof barrel.

It's a hunting rifle, guess I'll shoot it even more conservatively at the range when I can. Upgraded the scope and have to run more rounds through it to verify drops 😬

I've heard from multiple sources that the 28 Nosler is a real barrel burner, so I don't think it would be a great choice for target shooting. It is a real screamer though, and could certainly handle any deer or elk hunt.

I was asking myself the same questions as you this last winter. Currently, Browning and Christiansen arms are the only stock rifles with a 1:8 twist in a 300 PRC. I went with the Christiansen arms Traverse in a 300 PRC. I think you're going to want a 1:8 twist to shoot the long , hi BC Bullets that this Cartridges was designed to excel at shooting. I also wanted this twist rate to stabilize the larger hammer hunters. Good luck.