28 Nosler or ?? Need help!

I'm wanting to have a new gun built for long range hunting. Leaning towards a 6.5-300wby or 28 nosler. Anything better on throat life but has same performance as the 28? Wanting something different that most people won't have. Not really worried about barrel life. I reload so that's not a problem. Let me know what you guys think!!
Have Ryan Pierce build you a lightweight 300 Norma Improved. Better performance than both or those.

I'm wanting to have a new gun built for long range hunting. Leaning towards a 6.5-300wby or 28 nosler. Anything better on throat life but has same performance as the 28? Wanting something different that most people won't have. Not really worried about barrel life. I reload so that's not a problem. Let me know what you guys think!!
I would stay away from the 6.5x300wby. I have built many 28.s and all have been incredible. But I did change the reamer in the throat. Shortened the freebore by .030 and changed from a 3 degree to a 1 1/2 degree throat. A 3 degree is like slamming a bullet into a wall. Even in a 3.4 inch box and a long jump all these rifles have shot .250 or less. A customer sent me a picture of a 3 shot group at 300 yards shot with full house loads with 175 nosler partitions. All I have built I have used 3 groove lilja or 4 groove brux barrels. 26 or 27 inch. I took one to Africa along with a 375. I should have left the 375 at home. Eland were one shot and none went over 10 steps. That is a big animal. lol When I first got there a kudu was high on a mountain. Maybe 350. But it was steep. I asked the guide. Is it a good one. Yesss it is. Whack. After he said if you pull that again you are done.:p I love the 28. For hunting big game. Moose, elk. 175 nosler partitions. The long range bullets are too soft. Another good one is the 7mm practical. Basically a reborn 7mm mashburn but on the 300 win mag case. Very easy. Run a case in the die and presto. Developed in new zeeland. ballistic studies.com or just google 7mm practical and read. I took that design and necked it 6.5. 10 grains less powder and more or equal speed than 26 nosler or 6.5x300wea. If you are interested call PTG and ask them to send you a print of the 6.5 practical that Dave Emerson had them make.

If your not stuck on 7mm I would look at 30 Cal choices. Now with the current bullets they offer many benefits for LR hunting and really only recoil as a downside which is mostly negated by the effective brakes available by a few smiths on this forum.

30 SM, 30-28 Nosler, 300 Norma Mag Imp. All wildcats so more unique. All better barrel life than a 28N. They are also all more efficient than there 7mm equivalents. The 30-28N really needs a RUM Wyatt's box to seat higher BC bullets by junc above the shoulder neck junc.

I had already bought the 6.5 proof barrel but I've got a tikka action I can use with that to make a 6.5 PRC. I'll order another proof in .284. I was actually looking at the 7mm practical. I'll ask my gunsmith if he's ever done one. Where can I get reamers for the practical and 28 that are throated for 195s? I'm gonna get a Christensen ridgeline or seekins ph1 in 300 RUM so I want another .284

PTG and Dave Manson both make reamers for the practical. Manson has dies too. Be careful with that 195. It takes an 8 or 8.5 twist. If your gun doesn,t like it you are screwed for the shorter bullets. And that is straight from Nathan Foster who developed it. ballisticstudies.com

PTG and Dave Manson both make reamers for the practical. Manson has dies too. Be careful with that 195. It takes an 8 or 8.5 twist. If your gun doesn,t like it you are screwed for the shorter bullets. And that is straight from Nathan Foster who developed it. ballisticstudies.com
I was worried about that. Is there anyway to get around that? Be able to shoot the 195s and 180s?

You don't have to get a reamer that is built for 195s to shoot them well. My 28 reamer I had made by JGS has a freebore designed for 180 Bergers but shoots 195s very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.