Explain the need for a 28 Nosler

I wont buy anything Nosler anymore. Their bullets are overrated, over priced, and the BC values have been identified over the years as lower than actually what Nosler claims. Furthermore, Nosler brass is some of the softest I ever used and a waste of money too. With that said, I wouldn't touch any Nosler cartridges in general. I have a 7 SAUM that's plenty of horse power for what I do. And if you need something with more power a 7mm rem mag will work fine. The brass is cheaper and dies too. To hell with Nosler.

Just a data point, with other manufacturers making brass and ammo, it's a testament to the popularity of the 28 Nosler. In addition to Nosler, Hornady, Federal and Browning are marketing ammo for it. Brass is available from Nosler, ADG, Peterson, and Hornady. There must be a lot of 28 Noslers out there for them to justify the machinery to make the brass. For what it's worth, hunters I talk with are bypassing the 7RM for the 28.

#1 Reason for the 28 Noz? It will clean a 7 Rem Mag chamber. The 27 Nosler is a superior design and would make a great .284 Cat that would easily make a 2.55" Case. If there were a box in every store of 7RM, 28NOZ, and next to it 7mm Dakota? I'd buy the Dakota every time given a Marketable price point.

Last edited:
Another question.
Even though speed is not the only criteria for long range hunting, it is important and cartridges that handle the biggest bullets seem to have an advantage for this sport. Magazine length has never been a problem for me and in my opinion a 4" mag will do anything I want.

I have owned about every factory 7 mm known to man and many wildcats. except the 28 Nosler
and was just wondering what reasonable velocities I could expect from the 28 using 195 grain bullets ?

J E CUSTOM
Personally, I love the 28 Nosler. I get more velocity with less powder, more consistent velocities, less perceived recoil compered to my previous STW's, And so far, less barrel wear. (I'm at 400 rounds fired and have lost less than 0.002" from the rifling.) I also experienced velocity spikes with the STW's that drove me crazy. I used the Rem 700 STW action for the build with a Hart 1:8 5R barrel. The rifle, with 195 Berger's shoots 1/4 minute of elevation as long as I do my part in driving it properly. My load is 75.9 Gr Retumbo with the 195 Berger EOL and Fed 215 Mag Match primers for 2985fps. ES averages around 10 with SD around 5-6. I ran the Berger seating protocol and found that 0.017 jump shoots little knots with this load. I find the best feature of the rifle and load is the ability to truly offer an advantage in wind bucking. I now have trouble because I almost always estimate wind corrections too high after shooting 160's in the STW. The rifle was built by Bob Dugan, Dugan's Custom Guns, Port Matilda, PA. You won't find an STW in my gun case any more. I've only killed one elk with the rifle at around 765 yds but the elk was down when the rifle came out of recoil. All good rifles with good bullets properly placed kill quickly, but the 28 with 195 Bergers seem to be a "Bigger Hammer." Hope this reply is of assistance.

Personally, I love the 28 Nosler. I get more velocity with less powder, more consistent velocities, less perceived recoil compared to my previous STW's, And so far, less barrel wear. (I'm at 400 rounds fired and have lost less than 0.002" from the rifling.) I also experienced velocity spikes with the STW's that drove me crazy. I used the Rem 700 STW action for the build with a Hart 1:8 5R barrel. The rifle, with 195 Berger's shoots 1/4 minute of elevation as long as I do my part in driving it properly. My load is 75.9 Gr Retumbo with the 195 Berger EOL and Fed 215 Mag Match primers for 2985fps. ES averages around 10 with SD around 5-6. I ran the Berger seating protocol and found that 0.017 jump shoots little knots with this load. I find the best feature of the rifle and load is the ability to truly offer an advantage in wind bucking. I now have trouble because I almost always estimate wind corrections too high after shooting 160's in the STW. The rifle was built by Bob Dugan, Dugan's Custom Guns, Port Matilda, PA. You won't find an STW in my gun case any more. I've only killed one elk with the rifle at around 765 yds but the elk was down when the rifle came out of recoil. All good rifles with good bullets properly placed kill quickly, but the 28 with 195 Bergers seem to be a "Bigger Hammer." Hope this reply is of assistance.

Personally, I love the 28 Nosler. I get more velocity with less powder, more consistent velocities, less perceived recoil compered to my previous STW's, And so far, less barrel wear. (I'm at 400 rounds fired and have lost less than 0.002" from the rifling.) I also experienced velocity spikes with the STW's that drove me crazy. I used the Rem 700 STW action for the build with a Hart 1:8 5R barrel. The rifle, with 195 Berger's shoots 1/4 minute of elevation as long as I do my part in driving it properly. My load is 75.9 Gr Retumbo with the 195 Berger EOL and Fed 215 Mag Match primers for 2985fps. ES averages around 10 with SD around 5-6. I ran the Berger seating protocol and found that 0.017 jump shoots little knots with this load. I find the best feature of the rifle and load is the ability to truly offer an advantage in wind bucking. I now have trouble because I almost always estimate wind corrections too high after shooting 160's in the STW. The rifle was built by Bob Dugan, Dugan's Custom Guns, Port Matilda, PA. You won't find an STW in my gun case any more. I've only killed one elk with the rifle at around 765 yds but the elk was down when the rifle came out of recoil. All good rifles with good bullets properly placed kill quickly, but the 28 with 195 Bergers seem to be a "Bigger Hammer." Hope this reply is of assistance.

Still liking all the post, for and against. Also experiences with all the big 7 mm's.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM

I wont buy anything Nosler anymore. Their bullets are overrated, over priced, and the BC values have been identified over the years as lower than actually what Nosler claims. Furthermore, Nosler brass is some of the softest I ever used and a waste of money too. With that said, I wouldn't touch any Nosler cartridges in general. I have a 7 SAUM that's plenty of horse power for what I do. And if you need something with more power a 7mm rem mag will work fine. The brass is cheaper and dies too. To hell with Nosler.
You are not the first to say all those things, and I'm sure, not the last. Still, funny to read.
:D:D:D
1591889217274.png

:D:D:D

I feel there is not a real need for the round or a lot of the others its a matter of want and if you want one more power to you get one need pretty much ended with the 300 win ,7mm mag and the 338 win we also don't need a 700 hp Cadillac but they make one and people want them I do own a 7mm stw and have for many years so I guess I am one of those that might want one

Speaking of soft brass I had a Nosler case fire formed to 6.5-06AI. I FL sized it with no expander. When I went to expand it with a Sinclair .263 expander mandrel the case shoulder collapsed. During the neck turning process I had to re-expand some of the necks. In all fairness I had 2 Winchester cases that I was planning to use to set up the turner also collapse. at the shoulder.

I feel there is not a real need for the round or a lot of the others its a matter of want and if you want one more power to you get one need pretty much ended with the 300 win ,7mm mag and the 338 win we also don't need a 700 hp Cadillac but they make one and people want them I do own a 7mm stw and have for many years so I guess I am one of those that might want one

When you get down to it most of that stuff is more alike than it is different, esp. when it comes to terminal performance on critters.

I remember talking to a Sierra rep about the TGK bullet in 8mm with the caveat that the last thing we need is another elk bullet. He petty much agreed.

If this keeps up, we're gonna need a dedicated 28 Nosler cult thread, because it can be a struggle to search for it at times, instead of just going right to the thread, ie: 7STW :oops:
I spent a lot of time/effort and my experiences were my own with the 7STW, before the internet, and experienced all I could without other's input, until this site came along!

Because, it's everything I wanted the 7STW to do, but it didn't quite get there, at the time of it's inception?

The Belt: The oldtimers explained to me the purpose it, way back when with the 7RM and how to headspace on the shoulder, so the belt is unnecessary, period.

More efficient case: 404 Jeff case shortened, great powder capacity, way less fouling and there's more powders right now, than there ever was with the 7STW and more 7mm heavies. Liking the 195 EOL & Ramshot LRT!

Fits in a standard magnum action: I had this original SAV110 receiver lengthened .250 to fit full length 7STW with 175 SGK, now that it's a 28Nosler it works perfect for 195EOL's seated at the neck shoulder junction.

Choose the right case: I'v worked with the 28Nosler since right after inception and the soft Nosler case leaves a lot of performance on the table! It'l work, but there's a higher node, where it really works, and the pricey Nosler brass is only good for 1 firing, how do I know: 25 brand new pieces done first time out, pockets wasted!
Using Hornady and so far, so much better, but they have to be annealed first, they're very hard at the neck/shoulder (like they weren't annealed much at all if any) and messed up some Bergers during seating, but after that, excellent performance still on the 3rd firing.
I have the new Peterson cases and I know how tough this brass is, but haven't done anything yet with it, waiting on my new 27" barrel?

As far the barrels go, this is a Hotrod Round, treat it as such and it will do well for you. Current barrel is a SAAMI EABCO 26" Varmint with less than 200 down the pipe, and for $259 I cannot complain with the 3/4" or better groups.
It's replacement is an X-Caliber 27"stainless Varmint SAAMI and have yet to have issue with their steel.

My 7RM & 7STW were stone cold DRT killers and I'm hoping this will be too with a heavier payload, which it's shown on the 1K flat range, because I'v yet to take the 28N into the mountains...this may be the year I do?!

Ramble off.

FWIW, I had a REM700BDL 7RUM...I hated shooting it...SOLD AMERICAN!
Had rem 7 rum sendero, just wouldnt shoot under an inch. Had bencmark rebarrel it in 7 rum, now she is a real tackdriver, but for some reason i dont understand, bencmarks Ron sinemma tells me the 28 nosler is much easier, more lukely to shoot better than the RUM. I HAVE BOTH AND I AGREE. MAYBE SOMEONE HAS AN IDEA WHY THE RUM IS MORE TEMPRAMENTAL? MY 375 RUM SHOOTS UNDER ..5 MOA ALL DAY!

What does need have to do with it? If I only purchased a rifle because of need, I'd only have 1 rifle, and what's the fun in that? How many hundreds of thousands of jobs could/would be eliminated if we only purchased from need, instead of desire.
Sound like me, lol. Should write a song, WHATS NEED GOT TO DO WITH IT!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts