30/26 Nosler vs. 30/28 Nosler vs. 30 Nosler

just browsing

Can someone describe the differences between these rounds? I understand that the 26 is initially a 6mm, the 28 a 7mm, and the 30 a .30 cal, but why is it that some neck up the 26 and 28s rather than just going to the 30? I understand that they're all based on the .404 Jeffery, and that the differences likely come from where the shoulder starts (and by extension, case capacity).

Just trying to put each of their performances in perspective relative to the other, as they are all .30 cal chamberings. I'm just wondering why a lot of guys recommend necking up the 26/28 rather than going to the 30.

I'm looking to shoot the 215 and 230 hybrids above/around 3,000 fps if that makes any difference, and trying to stay as little overbore as possible (such as to maximize the little barrel life that these rounds have to begin with).

Thanks.

.26 Nosler is 6.5mm, and .28 Nosler is 7mm. The .30 Nosler the case is shortened.

A 30/26 and 30/28 Nosler would be the exact same round, because the 28 is just a necked up 26.

none, a good ole' .300 win mag will be fine

That's what I'm shooting now. Half of me says don't fix what ain't broken. The other half says I'll only be happy if I can get the 215s and 230s to 3k without completely ruining brass... The way I see it, my options are:

30/26 Nosler
or
300 Norma (would need a new bolt, but I could still mag feed in my 700 LA)

.26 Nosler is 6.5mm, and .28 Nosler is 7mm. The .30 Nosler the case is shortened.

A 30/26 and 30/28 Nosler would be the exact same round, because the 28 is just a necked up 26.

Ahh, that makes sense lightbulb So the 30 Nosler is actually a shorter case than the 26/28.

Any chance anyone has a picture of the 26/28 and the 30 cases next to each other?

Leaning to the .300 Norma just for the cost and ease of reloading. Guess I'll just swap bolts and be done with it, that should get me to the 3k threshold without pushing them too hard.

As was said 30/26 and 30/28 are the same.

30-Nosler is shortened at the shoulder by .050 (I could be remembering wrong) but the neck is longer than the 30/26.

I have a 30/26-Nosler. 24" rechambered factory Weatherby barrel. Love it. I am going to change it to a Proof Research 26" with a 9 twist for the 230s and copper 200s

All the Nosler variants should make 3k fps with at least a 26" barrel. A little tougher with my 24".

I have a hard time believing that 3K fps can be done with the WM, Wby sure.

I know someone will say they do it. Sure, no problem with that. Let me know if you are shooting next to me so I can move a little farther away. LOL. Just kidding.

There's nothing wrong with any of these cartridges, they all will do the job if the shooter hits was he's aiming at. The amazing part is that in every caliber there's such a slight difference in velocity..most of the time 100-300 fps and most are usually 150-200 fps..it's amazing what we put ourselves through, time and money for such small gain from one cartridge to the next..

There's nothing wrong with any of these cartridges, they all will do the job if the shooter hits was he's aiming at. The amazing part is that in every caliber there's such a slight difference in velocity..most of the time 100-300 fps and most are usually 150-200 fps..it's amazing what we put ourselves through, time and money for such small gain from one cartridge to the next..

100% agreed. That's part of the fun though. Do I think I need those extra 150 fps or whatever from going to a Nosler or Norma mag? No, but I want it. I'm looking for something that offers the performance I'm looking for (230s at 3k) without ruining brass after 2 firings. Something that doesn't need to be pushed super hard to get to where I want it.

Once you get into this realm of mags, it's more just "different" than "better."

100% agreed. That's part of the fun though. Do I think I need those extra 150 fps or whatever from going to a Nosler or Norma mag? No, but I want it. I'm looking for something that offers the performance I'm looking for (230s at 3k) without ruining brass after 2 firings. Something that doesn't need to be pushed super hard to get to where I want it.

Once you get into this realm of mags, it's more just "different" than "better."

If you do some research on 300 NM I don't think you'll find much talk about 3000 FPS with 230s and good brass life. Quite the opposite unless you form the brass with lapua cases.

If you do some research on 300 NM I don't think you'll find much talk about 3000 FPS with 230s and good brass life. Quite the opposite unless you form the brass with lapua cases.

If I can get the 215 hybrids going around there without pushing them super hard I'll be happy. I know the 230s going that fast would be a brass killer, but I'd still like the ability to take it to that point when I'm feeling a little frisky.

I will mostly be shooting the 215 hybrids as that's the heaviest the LGS has.

If I can get the 215 hybrids going around there without pushing them super hard I'll be happy. I know the 230s going that fast would be a brass killer, but I'd still like the ability to take it to that point when I'm feeling a little frisky.

I will mostly be shooting the 215 hybrids as that's the heaviest the LGS has.

The 215s have a form factor that is significantly better than the 230s and will likely be ballistically superior. I surprised more NM shooters don't shoot them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.