25-06 Harvest Thread

This is my twin brother. Tikka t3 hunter in a 25-06 has been his go to hunting rifle for 15 years now. Photo is of his 2020 deer, but has taken numerous deer, antelope, and coyotes with this wonderful cartridge. His loads are a 117gr Hornady SST. Don't know his velocity of the top of my head though.

Attachments

• Noah 2020 Deer.jpg
    Noah 2020 Deer.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 87
You still have plenty of options. I don't have personal experience with the 110 accubond (I'm sure it's great) but my Cooper shoots the 115 Nosler Ballistic tips, the 117 Sierra Gamekings and the 115 Berger Hybrid all .5 MOA. Try the 90 grain Blitzking for Varminting. My go to powder is IMR-4831 for heavies, RL-19 or 22 for the lighter stuff.

Hi.
No IMR-4831 for us. It gives you cancer according to EU.

I have a box of Berger 115 VLD Hunting bullets. I have read mixed reviews. I will be having a trip to the range with all my reloading gear once all this virus crap is sorted and the weather picks up.

I posted a picture of Cassandra back in June with her 2018 buck but this Year she killed this big black bear with the 25/06. She was shooting the 115 Berger!I thought it did a great job hitting a rib then totally destroy the spine.
Hi.
That Bear has a nice cover of fat. Never eaten Bear but would like to try it.

That looks a large exit hole.

25-06 AI with 90g Absolute Hammers , I just worked up a load with the 67g Shock Hammers@ 4250fps but haven't been out with it yet
ButterBean, after you shoot something with that load, post pictures if possible, and tell the story. I can't get that speed with my 25-06. but would like to try to get as close as possible.

Been a while since posting. While at the range one day I picked up a Charles Daily Mauser action 25-06 for my son many years ago for a hunt to Wy. I shoot a .257Wthby.

Working up a load for the '25-06 I had 117 BtSp on hand. Looked in the Hornandy book for a load and decided on 7828.
I was very very very surprised to see how well the rifle shot. Considering that the guy I purchased it from didn't think it shot well and just wanted to get rid of it right there.
Very Cheap.

That rifle cranked those 117's just shy of my Wthrby speed and shot 3 shot groups inside 3/4" at 200yds. And it was NOT the top load in the book for that powder.
He took a nice mulie and speed goat on that hunt.

I lost the farm we use to shoot and hunt due to death and sell off by the owner. My son and I use to shoot out 850 yards in the March winds here in Pa to ready for Wy.
His rifle is outfitted with a Burris w factory dots and he consistently killed those milk jugs out to 700.
It is a very lethal overlooked cartridge.

Well, last night I shot a nice doe with my .25-06 at about 90 yards with a 115 Berger. I got it running at 3,100 fps on 51.2 grains of IMR 4831. Perfect thoracic shot. Blood trail - not so great. Thankfully, I recovered her about 120 yards away but I'm going back to my Noslers for Deer. Love the accuracy of the Berger and wicked on chucks but I guess I found out that the Berger just isn't the answer for deer. A few weeks ago, when Nate shot his first buck, I had him loaded with the Nosler. I'm glad I did.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.