.25-06 vs .25-06AI

I'm having a rifle built and I've pretty much settled on a .25-06. This rifle will have a 24" barrel. I have a Zeiss Conquest HD5, 3-15X42mm I'm going to mount on it. It will be used for hunting within 400 yards. I'm already set up to load .25-06. For the really long stuff I have a 26" barreled .264 Win Mag with a Leupold VX6, 3-18X50 mm. Given this info would it be worthwhile to consider the .25-06AI instead of the .25-06.

No. The standard 25-06 is very effective between 350 and 450 yards. I have taken both deer and antelope in this range with one shot kills with my 25-06. No real need for an AI at those ranges.

Not that you asked but I have a 25-06 AI and I love it. Being that you will shoot under 400 yards it should be awesome. When it is time to rebarrel I will be looking at the 26 Nosler. It will do the same for 400 yards and better for long range due to the much higher BC of the 6.5 pills. .25 bores lack high bc bullets. If they were available the 25-06AI could really shine in the LR game with minimal recoil!

I have a 257 AI I load for, my dads gun, it shoots great groups. I really like AI cartridges, I hate trimming brass and love velocity. I have three AI's and like them all. Good luck

I think it all depends on what you "WANT". And in the gun and shooting world there is a big difference in what a person "needs" and what they "WANT". The practical side of the argument for shooting out to 400 yards on smaller game like deer or antelope is, no, its not really needed. The extra work that goes into wildcats of any kind, is extra time at the reloading bench and less time at the shooting bench. But, when building rifles to do something you enjoy, when is 'practical' you major concern. The AI version of any case is probably not necessary. But it is "COOL"! More speed is more fun, right? So to answer your question..Yes, it is worth considering. Pick what works for you and roll with it. You will have a lot of fun either way. Good luck with the build. Make it yours and enjoy it!

Lots of great answers as usual ,bac when I had my 25/06 built there was no internet,only books ,and if you were really lucky you knew a older reloader, that could answer all your umtine questions. yes the AI version was there but the Extra cost stoped me cold, then I got to thinkin just like MR Lincoln (yuk yuk) why not add more barrel length to get me more speed, actually I borrowed this thinkin not from Lincoln ,but from the High Power long range match shooters, soooooo call me cheap,call me frugal, but I used my own noodle , lol but seriously a #5 conture is going to be heavier, that flutted #4 sounds better , gota # 5 conture on my 338 w-mag love it ! good luck!!!

I've given this a lot of thought and even though I don't need it I've decided I WANT a .25-06 Ackley Improved. I also added 2" to the barrel as I feel the increased capacity of the AI will be better utilized in a longer barrel. Even though I've been loading for may years this will be my first foray in fire-forming cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.