25-06

So whats the opinion on 25-06 for deer and below for long range??? sy 700 meters and closer??

Really depends on the bullets you are using. If your using a factory rifle with the standard 1-10 twist you are limited to bullets up to 120 gr. There have been some factory rifles that have shot the 125 and 130 gr Wildcat Bullets well also, there have also been many that have not handled these heavier bullets accurately so its a try and see type of deal.

Definately worth the time to try them because if they shoot well, they are a big improvement over the conventional bullets in 25 cal.

If your talking about a custom rifle, you can get a 1-8 or even 1-7 twist and shoot some serious long range bullets such as the 142 gr ULD RBBT(7 or 8 twist) or the huge 156 gr ULD RBBT(7 twist) in the 25-06.

Personally, I feel the 156 gr bullet is to large for the 25-06 for anything but paper punching as it is a stout bullet designed to handle the impact stresses of much larger rounds like the STW and specifically the 257 Allen Mag where it is driven to 3300 fps.

In the 25-06 and a fast twist barrel, the 142 gr ULD RBBTs would be an impressive conbination. Offering everything the 142 gr class match bullets in 6.5mm would in a 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 chambering.

Really turns the 25-06 into a true long range cartridge easily capable of taking deer out to 700 meters with a well placed shot.

Its really a round with two very different personalities. In a factory rifle I would say that 700 meters is pushing the usifullness of this great round. In a custom fast twist barrel it is a totally different story.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

AS of right now my factory savage 25-06 is shooting the 125gr ULD RBBT Wildcats nicely. THey are averaging 3100fps with Rel22. I have not gotten to try these out past 500yds much but that will change within about 3 weeks and a trip to pdog town. After this I should have a good guess at the real BC of them also.

I also tried the 115 Bergers and they shot well also

good luck
steve

My personal comfort level in the way of energy would be 500 yards or a little more with a stout load with a 120 Nosler Part. or a good 117-120 Gr. bullet. As far as fast twist barrels is concerned, I agree with Kirby that you are then
in a different power level with the bullets you could then
use.
I don't know what barrel you have, but if you have a 24" or
better yet a 26", you may look at having your gun "Ackley
Improved". I have sure not regreted doing this & with the
125Wildcat I get 3,250FPS with .25-.30" accuracy. I feel
this puts me in the 600 yard or more bracket for Deer sized
Game & for Varmits, as far as I can hit them!

Thanks guy's, I have a spare savage accu trigger receiver I want to build another rifle on and I do not have any 25 calibers so I thought this would be a good one, just ordered a Stainless 26 inch heavy barrel in 25-06 for it.

I've had a 26 inch 270 win for years. Great gun! If your really talking 700 meters and your buying a barrel. My advice is don't stop at 26 inch. It doesn't cost anymore for 28, 29, 30 inch finished. The gain in FPS might not be great in per in inches over 26. But the ability hold on target before and after the shot is so much better

Also like 50 said get the correct twist for heavy bullets.

My .277 Ackley Improved with a 29 inch target barrel is a cannon compared to a standard 270 win. The Allen mag's are the Ultra mags of them all.

It's been about 20 yrs. since I had it, but I had one serious shootin' Ruger #1 in 25-06 that was built by a gunsmith friend of mine who has long since passed. This was a rifle he had built for his own personal use but when his health began to fail, he had to sell it. I no longer remember what brand of barrel he used or any of the other stuff that was done to it, but it would consistantly shoot 5 shots in well under 3" @ 300 yds. with one of those large single-power Weaver scopes that were popular back then on it. That was with me shooting the gun and he was better with it than I. While I don't remember the loads either, it was one vicious groundhog killer out to about 700 yds or so. I'd give most anything to still own it.

I have killed 1 small muley buck at 604 yards with a 115g BT put through the shoulders. The buck went about 20-30 yards and dropped dead. I was shooting them at 3200fps. I suspect the 125g wildcat would kill a buck at 700 yards. The little 25-06 will surprise you on its killing ability.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.