25-06 AI

We have several of the 257 Weatherby's with X caliber 9 Twist, .030 freebore.

110g Accubonds with R#22 with Fed 215's is real world at 3600
115g Bergers at 3590 fps

Both bullets shoot tiny clover leaf groups. With the addition of the gentry muzzle break, you see the bullet impact on the animal with a 25", #5 contour barrel. I have yet to have a deer run off after bullet impact.

We have several of the 257 Weatherby's with X caliber 9 Twist, .030 freebore.

110g Accubonds with R#22 with Fed 215's is real world at 3600
115g Bergers at 3590 fps

Both bullets shoot tiny clover leaf groups. With the addition of the gentry muzzle break, you see the bullet impact on the animal with a 25", #5 contour barrel. I have yet to have a deer run off after bullet impact.
What kind of performance are you getting from the 115 Berger at those speeds? Target or hunting variety?

What kind of performance are you getting from the 115 Berger at those speeds? Target or hunting variety?

Tim, we are deer and hog hunting in SC, so I speak of the 115g Vld HUNTING BERGER. Deer just drop, shoots the life out of them. I have been shooting the 257 Weatherby with zero to .030 freebore since 1990, very impressive in terms of accuracy and killing. We started off using the Roy as a rock Chuck, and coyote rifle, then graduated to deer. 100g Hornady flat base at 3850 just drops deer. About six of us in the family shoot the Roy with zero to .030 freebore, I wore out the first reamer letting people borrow it.

Pac Nor has a 257 Weatherby reamer with little freebore, and their three groove super match shoots pencil eraser size groups.

We have never used anything other than R#22 with fed 215 primers, with few shots fired for load development in the short freebore.

Most would never believe it but the 85g Nosler ballistic tips and the 87g Speer hot core at 4130-4150 sure kill deer fast. We never had trouble with the 100g Nosler ballistic tips blowing up. I am determined to try the 80g Barnes ttsx, and the speed with accuracy will be around 4200 fps with litlte recoil. A couple of nephews are very recoil sensitive, even with brakes.

All this stuff about speed is old school, low bc stuff with our shooting 450 yds and under being the norm.

Rock Chucks shot with the 100's at 3850 look like they have been shot out of a circus cannon they are hit so hard! Coyotes are shot in half, but the 270 Winchester with the 90g Sierra hp at 3550 does about the same, hair floats down for what seems like 5 minutes!