25-06 Harvest Thread

Trekster

I’m a newcomer to the 25-06. Always loved the caliber, just seemed so.... traditional. Researched like heck the terminal performance. And sure enough, very first shot at an animal, dropped him like a ton of bricks.
Anyone else out there have any harvest pics/stories of their 25-06?
E481DDB6-DC72-4CE6-BF68-B19D8C1118EB.jpeg

Plinker147

25-06 was my only gun through college years. It was my sons elk rifle for his first couple of elk. Ive killed everything from coyotes to elk with it from Colorado to Mexico. I will Always will have one in the safe. Mine loves 115 BT around 3100 FPS

Congrats on your hunt, nice bear

Trekster

25-06 was my only gun through college years. It was my sons elk rifle for his first couple of elk. Ive killed everything from coyotes to elk with it from Colorado to Mexico. I will Always will have one in the safe. Mine loves 115 BT around 3100 FPS

Congrats on your hunt, nice bear
115’s seem to be quite popular with the 25-06. This was a 120 BT. I really want that one to work :) but I may to stop fighting it. Boy, I’d love to hear more about those and more elk harvest.

GLTaylor

LRH Team Member
25-06 and 25-06AI here. 115BT and the new Hammer bullets. Changing over to the Hammers in all. Good penetration, velocity and terminal performance. Minimum meat damage. Gotta have a faster twist for the Hammers. Last barrel was 1-8. Works great.

MagnumManiac

I have one too, mine is a plain Jane wood/blued Ruger M77 MKII.
It is the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever bought. Even with the crap factory trigger, this rifle produced .5” groups without trying very hard. It now has a Timney and loves 110gr Accubond and 115gr Partition.
With 100gr BT’s, it shoots 3/8 MoA @ 300mtr.
I also pillar and bedded the action into the factory stock, shoots superbly.

Cheers.

Trekster

So I am a little embarrassed to ask but I’m just going to go for it. When I reference BT I am referring to a boat tail (Speer) but then it was mentioned a Nosler BT and I am thinking that is a ballistic tip? Any clarity here would be greatly appreciated.

MagnumManiac

Yep, I was referencing Ballistic Tips when I said BT’s.
I’ve had a Sendero II in 25-06 and a Win Model 70 Featherweight, neither shot like the Ruger does.

Cheers.

Aoudad shooter1975

in my early years I'd not take many pics. The 25-06 was one of my first centerfire rifles. When I was in 8th grade I got to buy what I wanted with the money I made from my 4-H projects. I had $800 to spend. I bought a Ruger 77 V with a 3-9 Redfield wide field "TV" scope. I shot a lot of deer and coyotes with that rifle-used it almost exclusively for 4 years--until I made some money and bought a 257 Weatherby. I have been on a roller coaster with many rifles in-between but have always had a soft spot for my 25 calibers--and for a soft shooting rifle that hammers game..hard to beat a 25-06...

Vossman5

The 25-06 is one I'm looking at getting, I have a 30-06 already, and have had a 243 when I was younger. The only issue I'm having, is finding a 25-06, might have to settle for a 270 for now

dogz

Awfully darn tough to be a 25/06, love the round! Easy to work with and incredibly capable!
I usually refer to Ballistic Tips as NBT for what that's worth.

Enough gun and bullet gack, let's talk about the bruin fantastic bear! Montana bruin?

Goose71

Congratulations on the success. I’ve had 3 25s. Just lately I’m looking to get another

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce