X-caliber carbon fiber barrel

Anybody bought and shot a large caliber boomer cartridge with an X-Caliber CF barrel?
300 RUM, 338 LM, etc...
Any more noticable flex/inaccuracy in the boomer barrel?

I believe my gun smith has done a carbon 300prc with great results. Not a prefit but chambered it up and it's slingin real good I'll see if I can get any info from him

I'm interested to see how the "lightweight" contour shoots and handles whip/heat in comparison to the straight carbon contour. Even though the lightweight is still over 1" at the muzzle, it's tapered pretty much entirely at the breech end rather than over the length of the barrel.

I'm assuming all of the carbon barrels are turned down to the same diameter under the sleeves (since that's where a majority of the weight savings will come from) but I'm not positive.

I'm interested to see how the "lightweight" contour shoots and handles whip/heat in comparison to the straight carbon contour. Even though the lightweight is still over 1" at the muzzle, it's tapered pretty much entirely at the breech end rather than over the length of the barrel.

I'm assuming all of the carbon barrels are turned down to the same diameter under the sleeves (since that's where a majority of the weight savings will come from) but I'm not positive.
One thing I noticed is that the carbons heat up fast. These aren't match barrels that shoot strings of shots. I buy them to hunt with so I can control the strings. They heat up like a Sporter barrel does. Accuracy is good but heavy guns will be more accurate of course in most cases.

One thing I noticed is that the carbons heat up fast. These aren't match barrels that shoot strings of shots. I buy them to hunt with so I can control the strings. They heat up like a Sporter barrel does. Accuracy is good but heavy guns will be more accurate of course in most cases.
Which makes sense as the barrel contour under the sleeve is probably closer to sporter thickness than varmint thickness.

I'm not looking for long, sustained strings of fire. It seems most NRL Hunter matches are 8 rounds max in a short period of time (per stage), most of them less if you make 1st round impacts.

What I am wondering is if the contour of the carbon sleeve will in any way affect POI shift or how long it takes for the barrel to see depreciating accuracy (ie lightweight vs. straight contour).

Which makes sense as the barrel contour under the sleeve is probably closer to sporter thickness than varmint thickness.

I'm not looking for long, sustained strings of fire. It seems most NRL Hunter matches are 8 rounds max in a short period of time (per stage), most of them less if you make 1st round impacts.

What I am wondering is if the contour of the carbon sleeve will in any way affect POI shift or how long it takes for the barrel to see depreciating accuracy (ie lightweight vs. straight contour).
All else being equal, larger contour (CF or steel) will be more stiff and less likely to be affected by any bending in the metal as it heats, though this should be minimal with quality barrel steel and stress relieving. The far greater effect will be from cooking the cartridge in a hot chamber for however many seconds, especially if you're using a temp sensitive powder. See here among other discussions. A larger steel barrel profile near the chamber will help some with that, and I like that the X-Caliber has a generous shank before the CF starts which should help. But really there's only so much a barrel can do if you're firing a fast string and then pausing to find the next target with a round in the chamber. A temp insensitive powder like H4350 is going to be your best bet in that case (and 25 Creedmoor cartridge case I'd think).

I've had no issues with my Bartlein cfw barrels. First X-Caliber I've ever bought but I don't expect to see any difference.

All else being equal, larger contour (CF or steel) will be more stiff and less likely to be affected by any bending in the metal as it heats, though this should be minimal with quality barrel steel and stress relieving. The far greater effect will be from cooking the cartridge in a hot chamber for however many seconds, especially if you're using a temp sensitive powder. See here among other discussions. A larger steel barrel profile near the chamber will help some with that, and I like that the X-Caliber has a generous shank before the CF starts which should help. But really there's only so much a barrel can do if you're firing a fast string and then pausing to find the next target with a round in the chamber. A temp insensitive powder like H4350 is going to be your best bet in that case (and 25 Creedmoor cartridge case I'd think).
Generally I won't chamber a round until I'm on target. Somewhat second nature from shooting years of PRS, but that should hopefully help avoid any "cooking" issues. I will also be using H4350 which, as you mentioned, is pretty stable. So I'm not overly concerned about that.

Interesting point you make about the shank size on the X-Cal though. I also noticed it was rather long before the sleeve starts, so hopefully that helps to avoid wandering POI as I get deeper into stages. Otherwise, there should be plenty of time for the barrel to cool down in between stages, so it should be manageable.

I'll be sure to update this thread with my findings either way once the barrel is spun up and I get a chance to do some LD.

I ordered the lightweight contour. Seemed closest to the M24 contour. Measuring my Bartlein M24 CFW, it's bigger at the breech to just past the forearm and gets down to .920 at the muzzle. The X Caliber lightweight tapers slower to the muzzle ending up at 1.070. An M24 cut stock will easily fit the X Caliber barrel. That was my only concern ordering this barrel. They have different contour measurements than most other CFW barrels.

I've got 3 Carbon Fiber barrels 2 are #4 contour and 1 is a Bull or straight contour, I have a .224 CF ordered from X Caliber and am planning an order for a .277 CF today from them. The 3 I have now are 257 BEE, 7 SAUM and 7 STW. all of them shoot lights out and -.4 groups and ring 8" steel every time out to a 1000 depending on the wind. These 2 contours do not heat up like steel barrels, the steel barrel i had on the 257 was 26" bull and after 3 shots you couldn't touch it, the CF after 8 shots you can touch it and its not uncomfortable. all of these rifles were 11 lbs or better before the CF swap all are 9 lbs +/- now. I built a 26 Nosler recently and didnt go CF and I still wonder what I was thinking, obviously I wasn't.
I should be getting the .224 barrel in a couple of weeks when I get it up and running as a 220 Swift I will update the out come.

I've got 3 Carbon Fiber barrels 2 are #4 contour and 1 is a Bull or straight contour, I have a .224 CF ordered from X Caliber and am planning an order for a .277 CF today from them. The 3 I have now are 257 BEE, 7 SAUM and 7 STW. all of them shoot lights out and -.4 groups and ring 8" steel every time out to a 1000 depending on the wind. These 2 contours do not heat up like steel barrels, the steel barrel i had on the 257 was 26" bull and after 3 shots you couldn't touch it, the CF after 8 shots you can touch it and its not uncomfortable. all of these rifles were 11 lbs or better before the CF swap all are 9 lbs +/- now. I built a 26 Nosler recently and didnt go CF and I still wonder what I was thinking, obviously I wasn't.
I should be getting the .224 barrel in a couple of weeks when I get it up and running as a 220 Swift I will update the out come.
That's so much different than my varmint and heavy varmint barrels. After 8 shots it's barely warm. Temps outside around 40+. CFW a little warmer. There all equal in contour. Once the heavy steel gets hot, they take much longer to cool down than the carbon barrels.

I sent my barrel off to my buddy so he and his wife could do a nrl hunter match as a team. Here is a .5 grain charge difference and 5 different charges in a nice tight group plus the rifle looks great

Attachments

• B6EAF5B1-DB46-4C90-B292-D55DDE9778F4.jpeg
    B6EAF5B1-DB46-4C90-B292-D55DDE9778F4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • 9EDAE4F4-9303-4559-AE6C-B94FB53A5619.jpeg
    9EDAE4F4-9303-4559-AE6C-B94FB53A5619.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 92