X-caliber carbon fiber barrel

This idea of needing to simply order a CF barrel 2" longer than you want your finished length to be is not making sense. Especially looking as the pics of their finished muzzle/ crown.
If I wanted a 24" barrel I certainly could not just order a 26" barrel as it too would come with only what looks to be a ½" of exposed full diameter steel length @ the muzzle.

I think you would need to call and tell them you want the extra steel to do your own thread and crowning. Then they likely send you a unfinished muzzle end hence the 2" like when you order a typical steel blank where you cut 1" off to address the effects of the rifling and lapping process on the muzzle end. In this case plus another inch for the threading before the shoulder step up to carbon diameter.

I get this for prefits but blanks by definition should always be considered unfinished at both ends, meaning breech must be squared, threaded, chambered, and muzzle must be cut off squared, threaded, crowned or no threading. With their prefits they are obviously going for max weight savings and taking the exposed muzzle length to the bare minimum unless you want threading.

Without a doubt there should be a big notice on their web page stating this and then again a warning @ checkout stating the same that you must click OK to proceed to be sure it's understood.

Personally, I do not like the look of the exposed steel muzzle length being that short nor its possible neg effect on accuracy perf. I want a good amount of steel around that last 1-2" where the bullet is exiting as its critical to accuracy vs having it be a transitional area between very thin liner with carbon termination to a step up to full diameter steel less than a bullet le. I want max consistency in that last couple inches.

I called x caliber 2 months ago asking what length to order if I wanted a carbon barrel to finish at 20" and they told me to just order at 20. I asked if it was necessary to order 2" longer than desired finished length and they said no.
If I I decide to buy one I will ask the same question by email to have in writing in case I end up with a 18" when I wanted a 20".

Don't know if they've changed how they size since I ordered in Aug 2021 but I ordered a 24" threaded barrel and I'd say it measures 22.5" or so to the action, not sure about the bolt face.

PXL_20220922_165245785.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220922-115417.png
    Screenshot_20220922-115417.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Don't know if they've changed how they size since I ordered in Aug 2021 but I ordered a 24" threaded barrel and I'd say it measures 22.5" or so to the action, not sure about the bolt face.

View attachment 395908
Thanks, the barrel tenon is measured as part of the overall length. So from what I can tell in the pic you ordered a 24" and received close to a 24". I just wonder if it would be different ordering a blank vs a prefit.

Thanks, the barrel tenon is measured as part of the overall length. So from what I can tell in the pic you ordered a 24" and received close to a 24". I just wonder if it would be different ordering a blank vs a prefit.
It is same blank or prefit as long as you get muzzle threaded from them. They state that is the only way to have it threaded is upon order. I ordered a 26" blank with 5/8-24 thread it came 26". Smith chambered and threaded tenon for my action.

I wonder why that is. They can just as easily leave the muzzle long just as they start with to do the threading and give the custom more flexibility at no extra cost or work for them. Weird on a blank as thats sort of the point. Understand on a prefit. But hey it's their choice.

I wonder why that is. They can just as easily leave the muzzle long just as they start with to do the threading and give the custom more flexibility at no extra cost or work for them. Weird on a blank as thats sort of the point. Understand on a prefit. But hey it's their choice.

I'm pretty sure it's due to the fact the carbon fiber is a tensioned sleeve, rather than wrapping around the barrel. I'd imagine once it's in place, any alteration (such as threading) could result in issues.

If it were me, I'd just order with muzzle threads and use a threaded cap or your preferred muzzle device.

I got's to know how that performs?!?!?!?! I'v a 6.5x284N, that's is accurate as hell, but it's meh in the velocity, especially when compared to a 26" 6.5 Creedmoor, I barreled. So I already have the donor, ready to go. I'm thinking a 284WIN, launching a 168gn flavored Berger?
Long overdue follow up here. Short story is the barrel makes tiny groups:

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2022-10-03 20_36_29.890256~2.png
    Ballistic-X-Export-2022-10-03 20_36_29.890256~2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
Reviving this conversation.... Any late 2023 updates for actual users to add ?
Have an old small ring Swede i am seriously considering rebarreling with a CF barrel.

X-cal has all barrels 20% off right now, any thought on a CF barrel vs a # contour or a preferred barrel .750 straight (20")? I think the straight would the the lightest option, although the CF might be right there with it. Seems like all 3 would be good, although I think I'm still leaning towards the straight as a good all around barrel. I'd go lighter but I want a threaded muzzle.

I've built 2 now and helped build a third. I have another on order.
7mm08ai, 280ai, 7prc and waiting on a 375 raptor

3 medium contour and my newest will be a light contour

Great barrels and accuracy is amazing

X Caliber really doesn't make a "Light" contour barrel in CF. Even their lightweight or Ultralight barrels are the same size or bigger than the M24 contour that Bartlein makes. I've yet to shoot my new one but very soon I'll be taking it out. Great to hear the accuracy is outstanding. They are however as they describe... Ultralight. Certainly lighter than the Bartlein.