Carbon Fiber Barrel Accuracy

58.6 is a lot. My load is actually 56.8. I hate it when I transpose numbers. I need to be more careful.

Another thing I've noticed. Your velocities are way higher than I've seen in my Ridgeline and MPR with similar charges. Have you verified your chronograph?
kind of. ive been shooting a tika creedmoor and feel the readings are correct. with a stiff load of h4350 im getting 2750 out of it. I agree on the high velocities. this thing took off. im gonna do some shooting soon as I compare 54ish grains of h1000 behind the elites and also 52ish grains of h4831 behind the 147s. ill get some velocities. I know that 57.7 grains of h1000 will push 143eldx 3100. these 2 loads im gonna test are accurate ones below the 3000fps mark. one thing I do know is ive had to lessen my charges dramatically to get my accuracy back which is around the same speed as before...

IMG_1741.jpg
made it out this evening. shot 54.4 grains of h1000 with 140 elites and 52 grains h4831 with 147s. the 147s actually had slight accuracy edge at barely over an inch and 140s at about 1.5. 212 yards. both about the same speed. shown is the speed while shooting the 140s.

Yes, last step to ensure I'm getting the best result with groups and ES/SD unless I'm confident I can't improve. For me, it's either Feds or CCIs. I have Win primers on the shelf, but they rarely make the final cut.
I tried some 210s today with my 52 grains of h4831 load and 147s. it took .125 inches off my group size. also I did a rough verification of speed.. I shot 680 yards watching the dirt next to a spot. I think its shooting right at 2900 or so. thanks for the comments.

I tried some 210s today with my 52 grains of h4831 load and 147s. it took .125 inches off my group size. also I did a rough verification of speed.. I shot 680 yards watching the dirt next to a spot. I think its shooting right at 2900 or so. thanks for the comments.

Sounds good to me. I'm glad it worked.

600 yards today. after the efforts to get the 147 to shoot consistent .5 moa, it didn't do so hot at 600. anyone else seeing this? I think ill stick with the 140 elites.
IMG_1763.jpg
IMG_1764.jpg

Not having extensive experience with the carbo wrapped barrels, I think they surely fill the needs for someone looking to reduce weight, with the inherent stiffness/accuracy of a steel barrel given the equivalent quality of interior machining/finish. IMO, the lighter barrel weight still presents the same challenge as a light steel barrel for the shooter to control the rifles stability and movement prior to the bullet exiting the barrel. There is less "forgiveness", placing higher demands on the shooter for high precision work....ie. stringing at longer ranges. While many will opt for the lighter weight, given harsh long range hunting conditions with varied positions, or intensive time/position intensive competive sports like PRS, many shooters will weigh the trade-off of weight vs shooting stability.when considering accuracy requirements.

Not having extensive experience with the carbo wrapped barrels, I think they surely fill the needs for someone looking to reduce weight, with the inherent stiffness/accuracy of a steel barrel given the equivalent quality of interior machining/finish. IMO, the lighter barrel weight still presents the same challenge as a light steel barrel for the shooter to control the rifles stability and movement prior to the bullet exiting the barrel. There is less "forgiveness", placing higher demands on the shooter for high precision work....ie. stringing at longer ranges. While many will opt for the lighter weight, given harsh long range hunting conditions with varied positions, or intensive time/position intensive competive sports like PRS, many shooters will weigh the trade-off of weight vs shooting stability.when considering accuracy requirements.

Being that I own a couple I'd have to disagree. Keeping a steady aim while shooting freehand, despite the common misconception about heavy rifles being more steady, is more about proper balance. With older rifles you would throw a pencil barrel in a wood stock and call it done. Modern lightweight rifles focus more on balance, using carbon fiber in the stock, and now with carbon barrels have been able to lighten the weight while keeping a little weight forward for stability. All the carbon fiber barrels I have had are equipped with muzzle breaks, taming the effects of recoil.

I'm predicting carbon fiber barrels will have a huge share of the market within the next decade along with carbon fiber stocks.

Being that I own a couple I'd have to disagree. Keeping a steady aim while shooting freehand, despite the common misconception about heavy rifles being more steady, is more about proper balance. With older rifles you would throw a pencil barrel in a wood stock and call it done. Modern lightweight rifles focus more on balance, using carbon fiber in the stock, and now with carbon barrels have been able to lighten the weight while keeping a little weight forward for stability. All the carbon fiber barrels I have had are equipped with muzzle breaks, taming the effects of recoil.

I'm predicting carbon fiber barrels will have a huge share of the market within the next decade along with carbon fiber stocks.
I think we are speaking about two different aspects. I agree fully with your comments about balance with a carbon fiber barrel. I'm referring to the effects of weight on barrel movement, pre bullet exit, for precision shooting. The heavier weight dampens movement. During this phase, the muzzle break has no effect as it occurs prior to the breaks effect on recoil.

I think we are speaking about two different aspects. I agree fully with your comments about balance with a carbon fiber barrel. I'm referring to the effects of weight on barrel movement, pre bullet exit, for precision shooting. The heavier weight dampens movement. During this phase, the muzzle break has no effect as it occurs prior to the breaks effect on recoil.

Yes & with a crosswind it is easier to steady a heavier rifle. I have seen that help a time or two on some Antelope hunts.

Not having extensive experience with the carbo wrapped barrels, I think they surely fill the needs for someone looking to reduce weight, with the inherent stiffness/accuracy of a steel barrel given the equivalent quality of interior machining/finish. IMO, the lighter barrel weight still presents the same challenge as a light steel barrel for the shooter to control the rifles stability and movement prior to the bullet exiting the barrel. There is less "forgiveness", placing higher demands on the shooter for high precision work....ie. stringing at longer ranges. While many will opt for the lighter weight, given harsh long range hunting conditions with varied positions, or intensive time/position intensive competive sports like PRS, many shooters will weigh the trade-off of weight vs shooting stability.when considering accur requirements.
yea, I think I agree. ive been spending a lot of time shooting the Christmas present. the carbon barrel on it shoots good but not awesome and I think it is due to the whole setup being light. The materials used and the skeletonized design probably play a factor too. definitely good enough accuracy for hunting long distance tho. I can see diff in groups when hugging the gun vs nothing but gun. I know this is not apples but I can say this... my wifes tikka 6.5 creedmoor with light steel barrel (about 6.5 pounds without scope) will group better than my carbon fiber barreled 6.5 prc at about 8 pounds. the tikka is hard to set in to the bag for no movement but very accurate for the steady shooter. this kind of goes against the light weight thing and makes one believe there is nothing gained from a wrapped barrel. on the other hand ive seen a carbon barrel shoot amazing groups (which made me want one), but the rifle really wasn't all that light with a mc Millan and a nightforce on top. maybe that was the difference...

Never owned one but from what I hear they are more accurate, and lightweight, but longevity sucks when rapid firing

IMO I don't think a carbon wrapped barrel is more accurate but is usually as accurate as a quality made steel barrel. I own two Christensen arms rifles, my 6.5cm elr is very accurate. But had a 338 Lapua BA tactical that would not shoot good groups. Just traded it for a Christensen 338 Lapua TFM but haven't got to shoot it yet. What a cool gun carbon fiber everything and only 7.5 pounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.