Carbon Fiber Barrel Accuracy

Just love the 338 Edge 30" Proof !
My fall Elk at 1244 yrds ! I'm not going to lie ..I had tears in my eyes after I shot him!!
I'm a Carbon fan for sure .

Rum Man
IMG953726.jpg

i can't imagine wanting to blow up a 1000.00 cf barrel mutliple times per year. Most comp guys are getting barrels pretty cheap and having a in pocket or diy chambering those barrels. I'd never run a cf for comp as I blow them out way too fast. Nice heavy contour barrel and hammer down.

How many barrels a year do you go through on your Benchrest rifle?

Well just shot my 338 Rum with a 30" Benchmark Carbon Sunday just to check my zero . 300 bergers at 2884 fps. 100 yrd zero then shot a large rock out to 1011 yrds. With ease !

Rum Man

Very impressive Rum Man, congrats and I am envious. But to me the question being discussed is not whether or not you can do well with a carbon barrel, but could a shooter like you have shot this group and taken your 1244 yd elk just as well with a quality steel barrel of equal weight?

Nice bull!!

If you took that question say in last ten years my guess would be yest for steel,and as Rich alluded to back when not as many wanted to work with CF.Now my thought lets say last 5 years Ive seen a big swing towards CF,and im sure bean counters somewhere know the actual numbers

How many barrels a year do you go through on your Benchrest rifle?
3-5 is what I used to blow up. I don't shoot that much anymore. I backed off and only do a few PRS comps a year and shoot for practice in mountain terrain. Even at that, I blow up at least 1-2 barrels. My 6.5 creed will be toast this year. Already seeing a little fire cracking at 300. I expect 2500 out of it.

3-5 is what I used to blow up. I don't shoot that much anymore. I backed off and only do a few PRS comps a year and shoot for practice in mountain terrain. Even at that, I blow up at least 1-2 barrels. My 6.5 creed will be toast this year. Already seeing a little fire cracking at 300. I expect 2500 out of it.
That's a lot of barrels

When I'm looking at the rigs the top IBS guys are shooting and the money they have in reloading equipment I just don't see how they wouldn't shell out 300$ more if it meant a world record when they are doing literally everything else they physically can.

I'm not talking prs/practical accuracy/hunting.I'm only saying of the most accurate rifles in the world none have a carbon wrapped barrel (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm also not saying they aren't as good, I'm saying it interests me. I've owned both and will continue to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a lot of barrels

When I'm looking at the rigs the top IBS guys are shooting and the money they have in reloading equipment I just don't see how they wouldn't shell out 300$ more if it meant a world record when they are doing literally everything else they physically can.

I'm not talking prs/practical accuracy/hunting.I'm only saying of the most accurate rifles in the world none have a carbon wrapped barrel (correct me if I'm wrong)

cf barrels don't offer any real advantage at bench. None that I could see other than weight. I wanted a heavy rifle and keep cost down so it wasn't an advantage at all. I have no clue if any are out there or who uses them for bench. I'm nowhere close to being good enough or care about the subtle differences in barrels like that. IMO the cf barrel was solely designed for hunting applications and always has been. It offered an advantage if structural strength diameter for diameter and pound for pound. As such they also handle heavy brakes and cans quite well with minimal tuning issues.

since this is a hunting forum I'd think this is the thing that matters in the end and else is just white noise.

I have a Proof barrel in 6.5 CM .
I am having trouble getting 1 moa groups. I'm shooting factory Hornady match ammo. 2720fps anyone have a suggestion!

Try different ammo, or handloads.
Just because it doesnt like one brand of factory ammo doesnt mean it's the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.