X-caliber carbon fiber barrel

I'm running a straight contour 6.5 creed on an impact. Trigger tech diamond, xtr3 5-30,in a krv bravo and loving It. Headed up to aspen CO now for work. Got the rifle and hunting gear in the back for a cow tag this weekend in rifle CO ill let yall know if I manage to knock one dead
Garett, thanks for your review of X-Caliber barrels. I have a CF 25CM barrel ready to install as soon as my 6.5CM expires.
Sorry for the thread derail, but did you switch from Leupold MK5 to Burris xtr3? If so, can you elaborate as to why?

Thanks

Hey,
Garett, thanks for your review of X-Caliber barrels. I have a CF 25CM barrel ready to install as soon as my 6.5CM expires.
Sorry for the thread derail, but did you switch from Leupold MK5 to Burris xtr3? If so, can you elaborate as to why?

Thanks
Hey, I did make the switch. One very large part of my decision was that I love to support the guys that support me. I work with a friend of mine to put on precision rifle matches, (High Plains precision) in Colorado. Burris is local to us Northern Colorado guys. The great people at Burris have always stepped up and supported our matches I couldn't even count the amount of xtr 2 3s and rt scopes those guys have put on our tables. So I sold my mk5 and bought a couple xtr 3s. Honestly I love both scopes. The mark 5 always did me well but it didn't hinder me in the slightest moving to the xtr 3 with the scr2 reticle. I was already used to .2 hash marks from the h59. I jumped in a border wars match the day after My xtr 3 showed up and landed in 5th place. Tracking has been spot on, field of view has been great, eye box was a little more forgiving in the mk5, but the 25 yard parallax came in hot since I was just getting/am still getting into precision 22lr. I don't feel I lost Amy performance.

I haven't had an xtr pro in hand just yet, but am hearing incredible things. I ended up ordering one of the pros and one of the new xtr3s that will be manufactured in the Phillipines. The New toolless zero stop is going to be awesome and I hear the glass is even better than the xtr 3 (same glass new coatings).

All in all both great scopes, both great companies I'm not sponsored by either but I'll continue shooting Burris products because of their people, customer service, willingness to support the sport and great products. Hope this helps

x caliber offered it. $100 extra. I'm not sure if they do it in house or send it off. It's supposed to speed up the barrel and and make it more uniform on wear
Did they tell you that was the advantage of cryo? Im pretty certain those characteristics are more commonly advertised on nitride/melonited barrels. Cryo treatment of a barrel is most commonly used to stress relieve the steel after contour/rifling. Anyone to chime in with input would be appreciated.

Here is what they say

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220210-125857_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220210-125857_Chrome.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20220210-125911_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220210-125911_Chrome.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20220210-125919_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220210-125919_Chrome.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 69
Cryogenic Treatment Info Page

Benefits: Improved accuracy, faster/easier cleaning, less fouling, rapid heat dissipation, more rigid barrel harmonics, increased muzzle velocity, vastly reduced cold-bore shift and longer barrel life!

Any barrel, contoured blank or barrel blank we sell has the additional option of reaching its peak metallergic potential via a deep cryogenic treatment process. This goes beyond what stress relief does for the steel. And while stress relief is critical in setting a consistent foundation for an accurate barrel, deep cryogenic treatment brings a barrel to its maximum potential.

This deep cryogenic treatment utilizes ultra low temperature processing to enhance our barrels to their peak metallurgical and structural properties. This is done via an outsourced laboratory which, through precision computer-controlled instrumentation and a state-of-the-art insulated cryogenic treatment chamber, gradually brings the core temperature of the steel to around -320°F (-160°C) using liquid nitrogen.

Nitrogen is the most abundant gas on Earth, making up over 70% of our atmosphere, and when isolated and compressed it becomes extremely cold and liquified. This process is completely environmentally friendly and helps in recuding waste.

The firm we outsource this treatment to uses a patented, controlled deep cryogenic process, which takes between 36 and 74 hours, depending on the size of the batch being treated. Precise computer controls and stringent processing profiles maintain optimum results, with no dimensional changes or risk of thermal shock.

This deep cryogenic process is NOT a surface treatment. It treats the entire mass of the barrel, through and through. The hardness of the barrel-steel is unaffected, while its strength, stiffness, uniformity and heat dissipation is greatly increased.

This process produces a more cohesive mollecular structure within the steel alloy that allows heat to be dissipated more quickly and uniformly. This tighter matrix also increases strength, wear life and reduces fouling.

For contoured blanks or uncontoured blanks, in additoin to the aforementiond benefits, having them cryogenically treated will make machining them far more consistent, and whoever is finishing out that blank will thank you.

Combine with Thermal Fluting for the ultimate combination in heat dissipation, minimized heat buildup and faster air-cooling--The best way to greatly extend your barrel's life!

Cryogenic Treatment Info Page

Benefits: Improved accuracy, faster/easier cleaning, less fouling, rapid heat dissipation, more rigid barrel harmonics, increased muzzle velocity, vastly reduced cold-bore shift and longer barrel life!

Any barrel, contoured blank or barrel blank we sell has the additional option of reaching its peak metallergic potential via a deep cryogenic treatment process. This goes beyond what stress relief does for the steel. And while stress relief is critical in setting a consistent foundation for an accurate barrel, deep cryogenic treatment brings a barrel to its maximum potential.

This deep cryogenic treatment utilizes ultra low temperature processing to enhance our barrels to their peak metallurgical and structural properties. This is done via an outsourced laboratory which, through precision computer-controlled instrumentation and a state-of-the-art insulated cryogenic treatment chamber, gradually brings the core temperature of the steel to around -320°F (-160°C) using liquid nitrogen.

Nitrogen is the most abundant gas on Earth, making up over 70% of our atmosphere, and when isolated and compressed it becomes extremely cold and liquified. This process is completely environmentally friendly and helps in recuding waste.

The firm we outsource this treatment to uses a patented, controlled deep cryogenic process, which takes between 36 and 74 hours, depending on the size of the batch being treated. Precise computer controls and stringent processing profiles maintain optimum results, with no dimensional changes or risk of thermal shock.

This deep cryogenic process is NOT a surface treatment. It treats the entire mass of the barrel, through and through. The hardness of the barrel-steel is unaffected, while its strength, stiffness, uniformity and heat dissipation is greatly increased.

This process produces a more cohesive mollecular structure within the steel alloy that allows heat to be dissipated more quickly and uniformly. This tighter matrix also increases strength, wear life and reduces fouling.

For contoured blanks or uncontoured blanks, in additoin to the aforementiond benefits, having them cryogenically treated will make machining them far more consistent, and whoever is finishing out that blank will thank you.

Combine with Thermal Fluting for the ultimate combination in heat dissipation, minimized heat buildup and faster air-cooling--The best way to greatly extend your barrel's life!
Love the explanation! I have always cryod the barrels I've gotten from xcal. My smith can and will say that the cryod barrels felt more consistent when threading and chambering. I have always noticed a faster velocity load and incredibly easy cleaning. I happen to think it's well worth the 100 dollars to do so. I had 2 barrels chambered in 6xc I don't remember load work off hand but one barrel has cryo one was normal ss both were mtu contours at 26" finished. I broke both in at the same time and I noticed the cryo barrel was about 30fps faster (nothing crazy but definitely faster) and cleaned during break in with much less effort. If you can swing the extra 100 bucks give it a go!

X-Cal sends there barrels out to be for cryo treatment. If it hasn't been answered

I'm very happy with their barrels
Just peaves me they won't outsource reamers anymore. What is on their list is what ya get.
Said they were to busy keeping up with demands.

Decided to throw my hat in the NRL Hunter ring this year to see what it's all about. Got tired of having nothing but 30lb. PRS rigs so I figured I'd switch it up.

- Tikka CTR stainless action (thanks Wes from JA)
- Legacy XLR carbon chassis (which is hilariously heavy compared to the newer stuff)
- X-Cal 24" carbon "lightweight" .257 blank, 1:7t
- TBAC 338 Ultra suppressor (because I can)
- US Optics FDN17x

Barrel will be chambered by 360Precision in 25 Creed and throated for the 135 LRHTs. Hoping to get 2850+ with plenty of stability from the 7 twist.

Definitely going to be in the "heavy open" class but should still be a good shooter. Here's how she currently sits. Just waiting on the blank and a few odds and ends but she'll go together pretty quick otherwise.

A4213023-37E8-45D6-9E25-46407BFF45A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Decided to throw my hat in the NRL Hunter ring this year to see what it's all about. Got tired of having nothing but 30lb. PRS rigs so I figured I'd switch it up.

- Legacy XLR carbon chassis (which is hilariously heavy compared to the newer stuff)
- US Optics FDN17x

Barrel will be chambered by 360Precision in 25 Creed and throated for the 135 LRHTs. Hoping to get 2850+ with plenty of stability from the 7 twist.

Definitely going to be in the "heavy open" class but should still be a good shooter. Here's how she currently sits. Just waiting on the blank and a few odds and ends but she'll go together pretty quick otherwise.

View attachment 342813
Yes, the 2 Fity Hillbilly...
Be sure to let us know how it shoots...

- US Optics FDN17x

View attachment 342813
The most accurate, easy to shoot gun I've ever shot was a local PRS pro's, at a comp. Just felt like cheating ringing six IPSC plates in like 15 sec at 1k. Good luck with the build, I hope it shoots like that.

Just ordered a Carbon wrapped. 591.00 shipped. Not bad. Thanks for the post.
Not bad at all! Let us know how it shoots when it comes in. I just pulled my xcal carbon and sent it off to a buddy so he and his wife can shoot the nrl hunter series as a team. I'll let you all know how it goes and his experience shooting 147gr eldm with it

Not bad at all! Let us know how it shoots when it comes in. I just pulled my xcal carbon and sent it off to a buddy so he and his wife can shoot the nrl hunter series as a team. I'll let you all know how it goes and his experience shooting 147gr eldm with it
Deal