X-caliber carbon fiber barrel

I've had 3 prefits and all 3 have been great looking at a carbon creedmoor barrel for an origin this year
There's a few threads on the hide about xcal prefits. Usually the prefits are what have problems if there are any after reading through it.

I've been on the fence about xcals, but will order for AR and BA soon. Here's a pic of a C6 cf with a McGowan ss next to it.
20211109_020529.jpg

No problem! I'll try to keep it short and to the point. The hunter series is a new series to help and push hunters to be better at what they love. There are 3 "classes" 1: factory, a rifle bought from factory with no add ons besides a muzzle break if the SKU of the rifle came with a threaded muzzle also I believe these rifles are under the 12# guideline 2: light custom, any rifle set up weighing under 12# 3: heavy custom, any rifle under 16#
Weight restrictions include anything on the rifle minus mag. So bipod muzzle break suppressor sling or any accessories. Factory is straight from the factory rifles no trigger upgrades cheek risers or threading muzzles. There is a power factor of 380000 which is calculated by: bullet gr x muzzle velocity FPS

the matches are all blind stages so no help from other competitors. ROs give a explanation of target areas and you find range then engage targets. It's tough and incredibly fun. I suggest looking up the hornady precision hunter match that was held right here in CO at the new cameo sporting complex. They hosted it on shooting sports tv if I remember correctly.

hope this helps break down what this rifle is being built for. You can check out nrlhunter.org for more information
Well dam! Looking at the NRL Hunter 2022 schedule and all my appropriate rifles rifles are Open Class, even the factory Sav 10BA 6.5CM with upgraded stock & grip :eek:

Hey guys, xcals Black Friday sale looks to be live. 20% of blanks, prefits, and contoured barrels in stainless steel and in carbon!

So does anyone have any weights on the CF Savage prefits? I am looking at building a lightweight 18" .22-250 and was curious about the weight.

So does anyone have any weights on the CF Savage prefits? I am looking at building a lightweight 18" .22-250 and was curious about the weight.
From what company? Profile will make a difference! I have a 30" magnum profile C6 for a 300wm that weighs about 2# 14oz. I think you could be wasting money for something that short? You really won't save any weight being that short. I'm not your money manager, so it's your call. Both barrels are for the 110 mla with the 300wm weight given and a 32" ss savage magnum profile fluted like the factory barrels that weighs 3# 9oz. Not much weight loss.

From what company? Profile will make a difference! I have a 30" magnum profile C6 for a 300wm that weighs about 2# 14oz. I think you could be wasting money for something that short? You really won't save any weight being that short. I'm not your money manager, so it's your call. Both barrels are for the 110 mla with the 300wm weight given and a 32" ss savage magnum profile fluted like the factory barrels that weighs 3# 9oz. Not much weight loss.

I was referring to X Caliber since this thread was about them but since others brought up C6 and others I should have clarified.

I currently have a few other short CF barrels and non CF barrels to compare to so I was trying to get weights on X Calibers since there wasn't much info. Below are the list that I have

C6 18" Featherweight 6.5 PRC - 33 oz

C6 18" Sendero 6.5 PRC - 36 oz

C6 20" Magnum .300 WM - 39 oz

Proof 24" Sendero 6.5 PRC - 42 oz

Proof 26" Sendero .300 WM - 44 oz

For non CF I have,

PVA 18" Marksman 6.5 Creed - 50 oz

PVA 20" Light Palma .223 - 55 oz

Fluting may help reduce weight but due to their shortness I'm not sure how much it will help.

It's pretty different, but if it helps my 24" Small/Med contour X-Caliber CFW 284 Win barrel is 2lb 11.7 oz.

Attachments

• PXL_20211104_183257071.jpg
    PXL_20211104_183257071.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20211208_040722339.jpg
    PXL_20211208_040722339.jpg
    889.7 KB · Views: 86
It's pretty different, but if it helps my 24" Small/Med contour X-Caliber CFW 284 Win barrel is 2lb 11.7 oz.

So that's basically the same as what Proof lists for their 24" 7 SAUM barrel so I guess they would be comparable in weight.

Doing a quick comparison of different Proofs shows that 6mm and 6.5mm lose 1.5 oz per inch of barrel while the 7mm and 30 cals show 1 oz per inch. So based on that info and a Proof 20".223 barrel the X Caliber 18" CF .22-250 barrel should weigh in around 36 oz or so, pretty much right in line with my C6 PRC barrels.

Last edited:
Just got my .284 22in in from them to go on my sons Remage. Ordered on black friday, build and cryo treatment got it in under 3 months! Will be chambered to 7mm08ai. Impressed with the fit and finish. We will see how it shoots shortly.