Why no 270-08 ?

I might have missed it, but why didn't anyone mention the .260 Remington (used to be the 6.5-08 A-sqare)? Same thing you want in grains and fps, with a great selection of high BC bullets and commercially available brass. Only 13 thousandths difference, same bullet weights available. 7mm-08 is even less diameter difference, maybe just less velocity. I just don't think you'd see any real difference in the field after you put the effort into the wildcat. There is also a 6.5-06, if you want the fps advantage over the .260 Rem. If you really want some power behind a 130-140gr bullet, look at the .264 Win Mag.

If I were going to insist on the .270 caliber, I think you can't go wrong with the original. I have a friend that loves his .270 WSM, a real flat shooter.
The 270wsm is not the original.:cool:

Ding ding ding, Benjamin just nailed it. I just glossed through this whole thread and was wondering why in the hell the 260 was completely glossed over. Better selection of bullets, more than capable of elk @ 300, low recoil, GREAT round! Why in the blazes would you want to go to a bullet a few thou larger with less than half of the selection of bullets?

It's called thinking out of the box - making things happen.

Why? Becuase if you have the availability of the 7-08 why do a 270-08 It's almost the same thing except the 7 has a much better selection of bullets, headstamped brass and off the shelf dies. .277 vs .284 - the diff is .008

But hey, if it floats your boat (or his boat) then go for it. You should be able to get dies for about $200 :)

No. The difference is .007
I don't know why remington created the 280 when the diff is .007 Not worth it.

Plus 1. That would interesting, except I would go a little heavier to help absorb some recoil. Hopefully more bullet choices will appear in the .277 cal

Plus 2.

Hopefully research and development will be done for high BC bullet choices in .277 cal
Enough of the stupid boring same old 130 gr, 140 gr, 150 gr.

examples: 129 gr, 132 gr, 137 gr, 141 gr, 146 gr, 151.5 gr, 158 gr, 162 gr

Hey . are you still catching flack about building a 270 ?

In addition to my love for shooting and building guns, I really like some trivia and I think you will enjoy
this little tidbit.

First to all of the 7mm fans (I am one of them to) when you do the conversion from MM to .000 the 270
is closer to a true 7mm (7mm = .27559) than a .284. (7.22mm = .2842).

So It looks like your 270/08 is in truth a 7mm.

In 1925 when Winchester decided to come out with the 270 WIN they did not like the Idea of calling
it a 7mm/06 because the Chinese already had a 7mm cartridge so they named it the 270 Winchester.

The 6.8 mm is very close to the .264 (.2677) so it looks like the folks that name there cartridges have
played wild and loose with there metric designations. So the 6.8 (.277) is actually also a 7mm.

It goes on and on. I thought everyone would get a kick out of this And hopefully they wont throw away
all of there 7.22 mm rifles, to build a 270.

J E CUSTOM

Let me put it clearly:

.277 inches = 7.0358 mm

.284 inches = 7.2136 mm

7 millimeters = .2755 in

Actually i have a custom built 270-08, its a remington 700 action with a barrel i got made at my local gunsmith shop. It was a mcgowen barrel blank and i have a boyds stock it. Nothinng special but i dropped a bear at 280 yards this year! I use a 130 amax on top of varget powder

Actually i have a custom built 270-08, its a remington 700 action with a barrel i got made at my local gunsmith shop. It was a mcgowen barrel blank and i have a boyds stock it. Nothinng special but i dropped a bear at 280 yards this year! I use a 130 amax on top of varget powder

Nothing quite like waking up a three year old thread!

You shot a bear with an Amax? Bullet seems kinda fragile for a tough animal like a bear.

Let me put it clearly:

.277 inches = 7.0358 mm

.284 inches = 7.2136 mm

7 millimeters = .2755 in
Zero attempt on my part to creat an argument with the following...
It was and is commonplace for firearms/ammunition makers/designers to name their cartridges after that barrel's bore diameter vs the cartridge's bullet diameter.

With respect to the European and USA 7mm cartridges, the barrels are spec'd with a .275" bore and a land diameter of 0.285" (Europe) or .284" (USA) so the 7mm cartridges are properly identified as "7mm" using the barrel's bore diameter.

USA manufacturer's have utilized the same with naming convention with the 30-30 Winchester, the the 30-03/30-06 Springfield cartridges, and the 30 Newton (.300" bore/.308" land diameter), the 256 Newton (.256" bore/.264" land diameter), the 35 Remington (.350" bore/.358" land diameters), and with the 270 Winchester (.270" bore/.277" land diameter). And if course we have the 280 Remington which matches neither its .275" bore or its .284" land diameter.

So it's pretty much it's - name 'em as you want to...and hope the user (better yet the scribes) understand the proper barrel and bullet dimensions for the cartridge (something the scrubs sorely lacked with the 256 Newton cartridge) so as not to give a very good cartridge an undeserved very poor reputation...

OP -
Your 270/08, or 270 Redding, would make a very nice short action cartridge. As the cartridge would closely parallel the performance of the 270 Winchester any standard 270 Winchester bullet should provide more than adequate terminal performance with any hunting situation you'd encounter. (Though with the cost of hunting these days, especially out of state hunting, the extra expense of utilizing premium bullets is neigh on a no brainer).

With reference to 20" vs 22" barrel; with today's powder it is very easy to identify a slightly faster burning powder to give 100% burn rate and velocity from a 20", or 22" barrel, as a slower burn rate powder in a 24" barrel. Relatively an easy process especially as your 270/08 or 270 Redding cartridge is strictly a hand loading proposition anyway...

gun)
I was thinking of using 130-140 gr bullets with it.
After a few searches it seems a 130 at 2900-3000 is very achievable.
It's also a run of the mill velocity with an average-mid load for a 270Win with a 130gr bullet. (Tho the 270 Win can be loaded quite a bit hotter)

Next Question:
How much actual difference in recoil between the 270-08 & the 270 Win?
A 270-08 with a 130gr bullet @ say 2900- 2950ish fps, with 46ish gr. of powder.
Or
A 270Win with a 130 gr bullet @ same speed but with 10-12 more grains of powder?

I'm confused why this didn't catch on a long time ago
Any thoughts?
I been using Barnes 270 110 grain bullets. I live here in California and have to use copper bullets, They are TTSX type and shoot pretty flat in my 270 AI . I going to try some this winter on mule deer. With 270-08 with heavy bullet you get a rainbow effect down range. Yes ,Ackley in his books did have a 270-08 and it was someone else's work. A 270-284 would give more powder charge and can be used in short action.

From .277-.284 ???? What's the purpose for .007 in bullet diameter...never mind the expense..doesn't seem to be worth all the trouble for so little gain one way or the other...maybe I'm just an idiot and missed something..

From .277-.284 ???? What's the purpose for .007 in bullet diameter...never mind the expense..doesn't seem to be worth all the trouble for so little gain one way or the other...maybe I'm just an idiot and missed something..��

Yep, I agree completely. With already established cartridges like the .260 Rem/.260 AI and the 7mm-08 Rem/7mm-08 AI, it's almost pointless to have a .270-308 Win. Just my opinion.

Way back on post #15 I said...

I think ballistically it is so close to a 7mm-08 that it would be money better spent just to have something already popular and commercialized.

So out of curiosity, I did some digging to try and find some bullet comparison. Using Hornady SST which most people would use for hunting (maybe a soft point...work with me here). So using a 140gr bullet, it really isn't a slouch. The 08 cartridge is quite comfortable at 130 to 140 grain bullets. That is the sweet spot bullet for the 270 (unless your my brother who enjoys dropping deer with the tried and true 150 round nose). I'm thinking if you are a tinkerer like myself that suffers from tinkeritus, then a 270-08 would be a very good short action deer killer. It would fit the action better with 140 than the .264 with a 140 and still be able to touch the lands. Just my 2 pennies!lightbulb

As the Germans advanced with their 7x57 Muaser the Canadians and Americans soon realized that they we're up against a wall in fire power due too the lack of cartage range of their own weaponry !!! Things only got worse as the Germans soon found a new cartage in 8mm that they used to slow down the foreign invaders...

This was not well liked by the folks in the Americas as the metric firearms sent shivers too those that lost loved ones, and the Government at the time knew this all too well,,, it was at this time that the advancement of better fire power was soon in the hands of the allies. The USA army engineers had been testing a new concept of turning an all time favored case into the first ever known 30-03 that was soon too become what we know as today as 30-06,,, there was no way in h@!!'s garden would they name this new rifle 7.62 X what ever as the metric fear in the publics eyes was so real...

The Korean and Japanese was only distanced metric rifles from ever being sold here in North America, the Japan Oh-Saka rifle with metric bullet took many more lives as well. The first American metric rifle came as a 7.62x55 to replace the 30-06,,, it was too put fear too those that challenged used with their own metric armament...

This perhaps is why we use standard inch as measurement. It is too show respect too our fallen brothers and sister,,, I for one will always use inch form in respect to my 2 lost uncles and 3 that returned damaged... "Just me is all."

Any-Who, one can own what ever rifle caliber one chooses, and name it any caliber that suits our fancy, Ha.

One should not under estimate the 270 Winchester till you see the dude that turned his into a long distance shooter. 28" of glory.

She might have a long arss barrel, but she can reach way out dare too getter done.
270 Win For Long Range Shooting

Pal Don that is glad too share.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.