Why no 270-08 ?

HAHAHA :D I was thinking the same thing :)

JE... You have probably just crushed the poor guy

Far from it. Ill always be a "happy he-man 7mm haters club member" haha:D

Ill stick to my Anerican 270 & leave the "mm" stuff to the Communist Chinese (thanks JE) & metric loving Europeans, & bench rest crowd.:D
Haha
You guys crack me up

Ill stick to my Anerican 270 & leave the "mm" stuff to the Communist Chinese (thanks JE) & metric loving Europeans, & bench rest crowd.:D
Haha
You guys crack me up

I hear you. I started shooting 600 yard matches with a 270 Win before there were any match grade
bullets for it.

With the old 150 Sierra game king It was deadly. and for dear the 130 was the ticket.

Maybe I,m just to picky but I wish all cartridges were called by there actual bullet Diameter
ether in actual thousandth of an inch Or Millimeters. It would keep things in the proper order.

I guess that's what happens when marketing names the cartridge.

So I take it that everyone is happy with there 7.22 mm rifles ? Ha Ha

Just thought I would inject a little humor (Very Little).

J E CUSTOM

After a shoulder rebuild a few years ago, the kick of my 270 win rem 700 started to be a bit much for having fun at the range. I have done the same exercise as you, considering to move to something lighter kicking, short action, etc.

At least for now, I decided to just go with lower recoil loads and stay with the normal 270 win setup and just stay with my standard setup. For your wife and daughter, it might actually be handy if all of you can shoot a similar commercial bullet, with customized enhancements.
- Low recoil / low bullet mass setups, as desired
- More powerful setups, as desired
- Ability to buy commercial ammo, as needed

I am far behind the hunters on this forum, so far just a simple, 30 years with one hunting rifle owner. So far, it is working, but I also see that much more can be achieved even with some modest improvements and investments.

Step one would be to put the scope on it, but I like iron sights for some reason, probably to give me an excuse for missing the target. :)

After a shoulder rebuild a few years ago, the kick of my 270 win rem 700 started to be a bit much for having fun at the range. I have done the same exercise as you, considering to move to something lighter kicking, short action, etc.

At least for now, I decided to just go with lower recoil loads and stay with the normal 270 win setup and just stay with my standard setup. For your wife and daughter, it might actually be handy if all of you can shoot a similar commercial bullet, with customized enhancements.
- Low recoil / low bullet mass setups, as desired
- More powerful setups, as desired
- Ability to buy commercial ammo, as needed

I am far behind the hunters on this forum, so far just a simple, 30 years with one hunting rifle owner. So far, it is working, but I also see that much more can be achieved even with some modest improvements and investments.

Step one would be to put the scope on it, but I like iron sights for some reason, probably to give me an excuse for missing the target. :)

HarryN , You are a honest man. some people wont admit when it is time to change. I was an avid protester against the muzzle but as time passes buy I had to and did change my mind about them.

Now if a rifle reminds me of my grandfathers mule every time I fire it. I put a brake on it.

In fact I have even stooped as low as to making them. (I know , that's pretty low according to some of my younger friends) but I suspect that the older they get they will change there minds.

I use to get a "Kick" out of shooting big rifles with big recoil. Now I enjoy shooting more.

I also like iron sites but the eyes need some help so I use scopes to make up for 70+years of
hard living.

J E CUSTOM

Haha
You guys crack me up

Here's a little something for all you he-man 7mm haters.

The UPS guy brought this yesterday.

The case on the left is a WSM and the one on the right is a RUM.

The one in the middle will be a 270 Montana :)

Attachments

• IMG_20130815_082258.jpg
    IMG_20130815_082258.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20130815_082920.jpg
    IMG_20130815_082920.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 107
What is the parent case for the 270 Montana? What performance do you expect? Just looked on the net, no mention of it. Is it your design? Come on now, tell us all about it!

What is the parent case for the 270 Montana? What performance do you expect? Just looked on the net, no mention of it. Is it your design? Come on now, tell us all about it!

+1 looks cool!
404 parent case?
If I had to guess, it looks kinda like a 300 Dakota but necked down to 270?
I'd Love to here more about it. Not so much for wife & daughter, but for me!:Dgun)

Yup, it's my design. I had some 300 Dakota cases lying around so I decided to do something with them. I sent the specs to Hornady and they did me a die. Next step is to size and seat a bullet so I can get some no-turn neck measurements for a reamer.

Performance will be very close to the 270 AX since they use the same parent case. The 270 Weatherby will be about 4 H2O gr less.

Not sure what Kirby's specs are but I'm guessing my design is a couple grains less capacity. I designed the case to have minimal change in shape and volume during fireforming. I think I'll be able to do load development simultaneously with fireforming.

It wasn't my intent to copy Kirby's design and I don't think I have, but it will be close. Just looking for a fun project to do. And it won't be propitiatory.

Yeah Rhian, I talked to Matrix a couple months ago. I believe they have a 170 gr bullet and CEB has a 165. Those would be my top choices.

The die is step one so I can get a sized case and seat a bullet to get neck dimensions for a no turn reamer. So, I think we're looking close to a year before we get it all together. :rolleyes::cool:

If you come to the shoot this weekend, bring a 277 pill with ya :D

IMO the differences in your suggestion vs. the 7mm-08 make it almost not worth talking about. I have a 270win and a 7-08 and the ballistics are so close. You've got to get out past 400 yrds before it even matters (for hunting scenarios). Now...there is more heavy bullet options in the .284 and you can actually make a good LR target rig on the 7-08 if you want.

Recoil wise, IMO my 7-08 kicks a little less and it weighs less than the 270 I own. The 7-08 with a 160+grain bullets recoil is about the same as the 270 with a 140.

Also, if I wanted more punch I'd go with a 284win or the 7saum.

My two bits...

The ballistics between the 270 win and 280 rem are so close it wasn't even worth thinking about creating the 280 rem.

My uncle has a 270-308 and it recoils less and weighs less than my friends 280 rem and you can actually make a good LR target rig on the 270-308 short action cartridge if you want.

The 270-308 with a 160 nosler - recoil is about the same as the 280 with a 140.

Also, if I wanted more punch I'd go back to my 270 win or 270 wsm.

The rifle my uncle built ( not much to it - same for any caliber ) for that cartridge is an excellent LR target rig.gun)

Among commercial cartridges, there really isn't another cartridge that does what the .270 Win does at normal hunting ranges. I am a bigger fan of the .280 Remington, but in factory form it doesn't live up to its potential. The classic .270 offers a combination of high velocity, flat trajectory, low recoil, and good terminal performance that places is squarely by itself.

I really think the original .270 is a well enough balanced cartridge that changing it around a bit tends to dim its virtue. I don't know how popular the WSM version is, but it is safe to say that it is nowhere near as popular as the original. The 6.8spc is basically a niche cartridge for AR's.

From a big picture standpoint, if you put a .270 bullet in a .308 case, it goes from being in a class by itself to being bracketed by well established cartridges to which it would offer little or no advantage and be ballistically inferior.

I say this by way of attempting to address the question you posed. I am not bashing your idea. I think it will do what you want it to do. Since you are a .270 fan, you will likely enjoy the pursuit. In the big picture, though, I think the question of why it's not more popular has a lot to do with the fact that most .270 shooters are pretty happy with the cartridge in its classic form. It's a Classic Coke vs New Coke sort of thing. We all know how that turned out.

Dim its virtue??? Ballistically inferior??? We are talking about creating a new cartridge using a .277 diameter bullet - the same has been done with the .243, .257, .264, .284, .285 ( yes, the .285 came before the .284 Why did Americans have to mess with the 7mm and dim its virtue and make an inferior cartridge), .308 etc... etc...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.