Why Not .270 WIn for LR?

Muddyboots

Now that bullet mfg's have started to provide higher BC bullets for the .270, why wouldn't this stack up with longer barrel slower powder and so on? It seems like the .270 is swept under rug but I am rethinking a build with a longer barrel (26" min) to get most out of the new higher BC bullets like the Hornady 145 ELDX, Sierra 140 Gamechanger, 150 Nosler LRAB. Why not? It will still have digestible recoil even with the heavier bullets.

Heck, with blasphemy (the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence to a diety, or sacred things, or toward something considered sacred) ringing in my ears, maybe even stay with the 6.5's? I am curious if anyone has built a .270 with this in mind? The easy availability of brass, wealth of bullets and wide range of powder selection, it has my interest. I know what the .270WSM can do BUT the complete ease of obtaining brass etc seems to be intriguing.

It's not not favorite caliber(guided a guy with a 270 lost his cow...wife shot real big whitetail behind the shoulder....lost deer. I probably just have bad luck with the 270 win.) but on paper it should work just fine.

Nothing wrong with the 270 win it just doesn't have the bullet selection for high BC bullets. But it can perform well and many people have been proving that. When reloadersnest was up there were many loads for it just for LR. Just do a search and you'll see there are those who run them. Big Jake is on this website and has been playing with LR 270's for years.

RockyMtnMT can you share your experience with us? If you built or rebarreled a fun what we're the specs and what are you currently shooting?
Thanks

The 270 win has the case capacity and a long neck for proper bullet alignment. The 270 is my favorite cartridge. It has never been promoted as a target cartridge. If it had the proper twist 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 and ackley improved it would be up there with the 270 wsm, while burning less powder. It has been americas favorite since 1925.
It would overcome the 6.5/06ai, with the heavier bullets becoming available. The 270 win is great in factory form though. I have used it with reloader 26 and 150 grain nbt, that will fly flat at long range.
Long live the 270

RockyMtnMT can you share your experience with us? If you built or rebarreled a fun what we're the specs and what are you currently shooting?
Thanks
The only 27 call that we have done is a 27 Nosler. 7" twist for our 168g Hammer Hunter. Shot great at about 3300 fps. Had a firing pin issue that sidelined it and we just haven't had time to bring it back to the table.

Next reamer that we will be ordering will be a 270 FatGirl. Basically a 300 Norma mag imp necked down to 27 cal. Should out run the 27N by about 100 fps.

Steve

Funny thing is you will see folks mocking the .270.. Then push the 6.5 creedmoor as a better round for LR hunting.

Anything the 6.5 can do hunting the .270 can do better. Simply put.

Check out the .270 Sherman. It will launch a bullet very well. Another thing to think about is a 6.5 is .264 The .270 is .277 and a 7mm is .284.

The .270 is closer to .28 cal then even the 7mm is. also the .270 is closer to the 7mm the the 6.5 is to the .270...

The .270 is a good round for sure. Berger even has 170 grain bullets for it. And hammer has 168 grain bullets for it.

The Great 270 is very alive n well ! Question is are their enough Riflemen to use it ? Just yesterday I saw a video of a Western American shooting his basically stock ss/new style md 70 Winchester in 270WCF out to 1503 yds and hitting his target milk jug ! Didn't have any fancy fast twist ,but had a night force scope on top of it , yes fast twists help !,dats a given , but many Naturaly gifted shooters ,Just teach themselfs and excell and nobody Evers here's of their Exceptional abilities .Remington yrs ago made the 270 in the Sendero and it shot great became legend , Sierra was the Brave one to make the 135 Match king and it too was great ,Layne Simpson , the gun writer championed many calibers the 270 wcf is one of his favorites, I had a 270 target rifle made on a rem 700wit a 1/10 twist ss Douglas bbl 26 inch air gauged #7 contur , and it shot great , don't believe the naysayers , prove it to yourself ,Nuff said!