Why Not .270 WIn for LR?

I've ran the 170 Berger just over 3100 in my 270 Sherman with rl33 but that was max and I have an extremely long throat. This rifle has a 1:8 lilia barrel on it but from what I've heard on recent quality I'd go with something else. I have a 1:8 brux on my 270ss that's been excellent also. I'm shooting the 165 matrix in that at 3000 fps with rl23.

The Sherman looks like a good option is it a simple fire form like the AI ? Looking for inexpensive components because my 338rum is limited to nosler brass at $67 for 25pcs. 270win is cheap everywhere

The Sherman looks like a good option is it a simple fire form like the AI ? Looking for inexpensive components because my 338rum is limited to nosler brass at $67 for 25pcs. 270win is cheap everywhere
ADG makes 338 rum brass. Everything I've read has been highly favorable too. Plus it is less expensive to boot

.270s fill a nice spot for hunting with bullets heavy enough to kill well and not recoil much.

That said, let's not pretend they offer the same upsides as the 6.5s and 7s. What case does better with .277 bullets than .264 and .284 bullets? Even the Berger 170s have a form factor that is less impressive than the 6.5 and 7 options. If you build for the 170 EOLs and don't like their performance you don't have as many secondary options.

.270s fill a nice spot for hunting with bullets heavy enough to kill well and not recoil much.

That said, let's not pretend they offer the same upsides as the 6.5s and 7s. What case does better with .277 bullets than .264 and .284 bullets? Even the Berger 170s have a form factor that is less impressive than the 6.5 and 7 options. If you build for the 170 EOLs and don't like their performance you don't have as many secondary options.
I am already covered on the 6.5 caliber just wanted to experiment with .270 to see how much I can get out of it.already have a rifle I can rebarrel .

My sherman has a 27" Rock Creek 8 twist. I also have a very long throat in mine and shoot the 170's at 3115 with RL-26. Fireforming is pretty simple. Neck up to .308 then back down, leaving a false shoulder to headspace off of before firing. Norma or RWS 270 Winchester brass are the best options I believe. I went nosler and don't recommend it with this case. Soft and they trim them too short. Norma apparently doesn't make this case for nosler these days like they do some others.

Nothing wrong with the 270 win it just doesn't have the bullet selection for high BC bullets. But it can perform well and many people have been proving that. When reloadersnest was up there were many loads for it just for LR. Just do a search and you'll see there are those who run them. Big Jake is on this website and has been playing with LR 270's for years.
There are several new high BC bullets out there in 270. One of My personal favorites for steel and long range hunting Is a stock Tikka T3 270 Win reamed out to 270 Weatherby Magnum using a Witt clamp on break using a Hornady 145 eldx @3350fps. Shoots <1/2" @ 100 and 12" at 1K. Spectacular for a loaded out 8# rifle. I might add that shoot 6 xc, 6 & 6.5 creeds, 260 rem, 6.5 prc, 280 and 280 ai . and my "little 270wby" is in the top of the mix. I should call it 270 wby XC.

Last edited:
Yes there are some but no where near the selection of the 6.5mm or 7mm. Matrix has two and Berger has one. Hornady isn't much different than the "traditional" offerings. It's a fine caliber. But like I said it doesn't have the selection of the 6.5 or 7mm.

Yes there are some but no where near the selection of the 6.5mm or 7mm. Matrix has two and Berger has one. Hornady isn't much different than the "traditional" offerings. It's a fine caliber. But like I said it doesn't have the selection of the 6.5 or 7mm.
Just because there are not as many bullets for the 270 is no reason not to use it. It's a fine caliber and works grate if you give it a change and find a load that works. If more people would use it we could demand more bullets and we would get them. People just will not use it out side of standard hunt conditions as must as they could. Remember when the 270 Win. came out in 1925 it was the long range cartridge of America.

That's a good enough reason for me lol. If you want to use it by all mean do so. I thought about it but I'd rather have the selection of bullets on hand to increase my probability of acceptable accuracy and range.